The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bark Collars?

Quote Originally Posted by mtncntrykid View Post
    The new Garmin/TT bark collars have 2 new features that are nice. One is that they automatically increase the stimulation level with every bark and they also record how many times they go off during the day.
    Very cool!
    -Julie, Monty (2005 YLM), Rogue (2009 BLM), and Eddy (2013 BLM)

"To err is human, to forgive, canine." - Anon

LIFE IS GOOD. "Do what you like, like what you do."

my question is, what if you want your dog to stop barking but would like your dog to alert you when someone approaches your home. What do you do then?

Quote Originally Posted by mtncntrykid View Post
    The new Garmin/TT bark collars have 2 new features that are nice. One is that they automatically increase the stimulation level with every bark and they also record how many times they go off during the day.
    Can the automatic increase be turned off and a single level set? I only use my bark collars on the dogs in the truck. That's when the other dogs bark because I get another out. I have a pair of vintage TT bark eliminators that CC has kept working. I want to go to something newer.
    When CC had the collars for battery replacement I taped a D cell to a flat collar and put two short machine screws to mimick the prongs and feel. It worked. Sometimes if the collars are not charged or left in the truck during cold, and go dead I just hang them on the crate doors. Seems to work. I think the dogs smell the batteries and once they get conditioned they just seem to know.

Nothing is more aggravating than a truckful of dogs barking close to the line at a test or a training group.

Don't leave any e-collar on when you're not there to monitor it.... JD
    Last edited by JDogger; 02-24-2014 at 08:05 PM.
    One cannot reason someone out of something they were not reasoned into. - Jonathan Swift

Yes there is a training mode and set stim mode. I think they are good. I have 6. The only thing I don't like is they don't seem quite as sensitive as the old bark limiter. Also the probes are fixed and pretty short so you may have contact problems unless its tight. On the good side the probes on the garmin don't seem to cause as much irritation when worn for longer periods.

I have the garmin and it works great. Agree with Tony that the garmin doesn't seem to irritate as much as the older tritronics models did when used for many hours in succession.

I've been a die hard TT user, dealer for years. The only product they have hat I don't like is the bark limiter. They just don't last. I have a dozen dead ones laying around. Go with dogtra.

/Paul
    Paul Cantrell
    Black Ice Retrievers
    Marcola OR

Too many dogs to list (By some Bitch)

https://www.facebook.com/BlackIceRetrievers
    http://gundog2002.blogspot.com/
    "Helping Hunters Train Their Dogs"

Quote Originally Posted by derrekg123 View Post
    my question is, what if you want your dog to stop barking but would like your dog to alert you when someone approaches your home. What do you do then?
    I'm not worried about that... Our property is kind of like a compound, LOL. We are fully alarmed and armed, and if someone were to leap over the 6 ft solid gate in the back, no bark collar would stop this particular dog from barking his head off.

Regardless, the last thing we need is our dogs hauled off or to be cited/fined because of noise disturbances. I probably wouldn't be as sensitive to it if we didn't reside in a heavily populated area.
    -Julie, Monty (2005 YLM), Rogue (2009 BLM), and Eddy (2013 BLM)

"To err is human, to forgive, canine." - Anon

LIFE IS GOOD. "Do what you like, like what you do."

Quote Originally Posted by Montview View Post
    I'm not worried about that... Our property is kind of like a compound, LOL. We are fully alarmed and armed, and if someone were to leap over the 6 ft solid gate in the back, no bark collar would stop this particular dog from barking his head off.

Regardless, the last thing we need is our dogs hauled off or to be cited/fined because of noise disturbances. I probably wouldn't be as sensitive to it if we didn't reside in a heavily populated area.
    That's a good point. I live out in the woods and I will let my mut (blue heeler/border collie mix) out to roam around and do his business, most of the time he is fine. But there are times where he will just bark his head off for hours it seems. I thought about getting him a bark collar but I don't want to lose his alerting ability at the same time. I guess I need to do some research. When I think of bark collar, I think it eliminates the bark completely I guess this is not the case...

Quote Originally Posted by Gun_Dog2002 View Post
    I've been a die hard TT user, dealer for years. The only product they have hat I don't like is the bark limiter. They just don't last. I have a dozen dead ones laying around. Go with dogtra.

/Paul
    What Paul said.... I think I still have half a dozen dead ones laying.. a round.. luckily I don't have but one hound left in the kennel.. I should have bought stock in TT for the numberof bark limiters I went through over the years.. Even at the discounted "trade in" price...
    Steve Lithgow
    Las Cruces, NM
    "The thing that makes them good... is the thing that makes them bad" ~Pete Richardson Marble Mtn Walkers, Vermont
    "You can't make chicken salad out of chicken sh*t.... " ~Ron Schaitel
    "What's the difference between a pro and an amateur..... ""About a tenth of a second"" ~Bill Gibbons
    "Ugh... my dog broke....! ""There's never been one worth a flip that hasn't"" ~John Steger

Quote Originally Posted by Montview View Post
    Hi all,
    We recently moved (Sept) to a little 1923 house in a pretty highly-populated residential area and our older dog (will be 9 this year) is starting to bark if people drive by or he hears the recess bell at the school two blocks away (which sounds surprisingly like our doorbell) when outside. That, in turn, sets off our 5 year old and our 11 month old- all labs. It wouldn't be a big deal if it was a single alarm bark but it can go on for a while and there is, in particular, a four-plex that literally sits about 10 ft from our back yard where this is occurring. I feel terrible for the residents as sometimes I can't get out there to correct the dogs because we also have an almost 5-month-old baby... who takes frequent naps etc.

I've had bark collars in the past that worked great (one was SportDog and one was TT)... wondering what the current thoughts are about good, reliable bark collars on the market? I probably need to get 2 of them, hopefully without breaking the bank.

Thanks a ton!
    Some Labs can figure out how to bark and not set off a collar. Ask me how I know.
    Hihope Hiland Heathen of Perth CD, RE, CGC, TDI