The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When are they ready?

Default When are they ready?

My dog is just over a year old, been through his 1st duck season. Passed the only two started tests we've run. Marking doubles very well. We've been running the land T flawlessly for the last couple of weeks, back pile at 100 yards or more, left and right overs 40-50 yards out. The last week we've been starting the water T. I've run a few short 40-60 yard cold blinds just to judge where he's at. He's always takes a good initial line and is handling pretty well. Sometimes it takes quite a few whistles and casts to get to the blind but he always makes it. We've done diversions and walk-ups since he was younger so no problems there. My problem is there aren't too many tests close by and there's one near by in just a couple weeks and I can't decide if I should enter him or not. How do you guys decide when your dog is ready to enter the next level of tests? Just worried with the lack of time I've gotten to work on the water work with all the cold weather that I could be wasting my time

Quote Originally Posted by ArkansasDuck View Post
    My problem is there aren't too many tests close by and there's one near by in just a couple weeks and I can't decide if I should enter him or not. How do you guys decide when your dog is ready to enter the next level of tests? Just worried with the lack of time I've gotten to work on the water work with all the cold weather that I could be wasting my time
    It sounds very much like you and your dog would be better served by far to stay home and do a lot more training. Slow down a bit with this kid, and give him a more thorough education. From what you've mentioned your dog has had a pretty sketchy transition, and he's still pretty young. Train him beyond the needs of the class you plan to run in.

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile

Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    It sounds very much like you and your dog would be better served by far to stay home and do a lot more training. Slow down a bit with this kid, and give him a more thorough education. From what you've mentioned your dog has had a pretty sketchy transition, and he's still pretty young. Train him beyond the needs of the class you plan to run in.

Evan
    Completely agree.

Never go to a test hoping you will pass, go knowing you will.

Only go with a positive attitude. Your dog may pick up on your vibes.

As for the water we would use any water that wasn't frozen solid!!
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA

HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI

Metras's Hashtag Mickey

Thanks for the advice. Evan, what has caused him to have a sketchy transition, I've been following Chris Akins Duck Dog basics and Duck dog basics 2. All in order and covering each section thoroughly

chris told me that he will not run any dogs in a seasoned test until he is training on finished level!! Im not sure who said the quote but when I heard it, it stuck with me. its better for your dog to be under whelmed than over whelmed!!

Quote Originally Posted by don_adcock View Post
    chris told me that he will not run any dogs in a seasoned test until he is training on finished level!! Im not sure who said the quote but when I heard it, it stuck with me. its better for your dog to be under whelmed than over whelmed!!

I have been told that exact same thing by a few accomplished trainers over the past few years. And like yourself, that has stuck with me as well.

Quote Originally Posted by don_adcock View Post
    Let me see if this sounds more familiar. "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." Is that what you remember hearing?

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile

i can tell you from personal experiance it is alot better to wait. i tried and hurried to get my dog through transition training to make a test in sept well get to the test watch the test dog 2nd dog to the line watch the marks go off she picks them up cleanly and then go to run the blind "dead bird back" she takes off just fine but starts to hook right blow the sit whistle after about 3 sit whistles she sits takes the over cast then blow the sit whistle 3 more times and she sits give her a back and she does goes back about 3 steps then right again hit the sit whistle a couple of more times and i call her back in cause i know she wasnt ready to be running at that level at that time. so take my personal experiance and use it dont rush anything. we have not run a test since then and most likely will be running our first test this season at the end of march and still have alot of little things to work on before then and still might not run until the middle of april or beginning of may.