The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: When are they ready?

Quote Originally Posted by ArkansasDuck View Post
    Thanks for the advice. Evan, what has caused him to have a sketchy transition, I've been following Chris Akins Duck Dog basics and Duck dog basics 2. All in order and covering each section thoroughly
    I think that Evan was pretty kind in referring to the transition you have done as "sketchy". Not to be critical but from your description I would use the term "non existent". What he means by transition in this case is how have you taken your dog from T based work to a cold blind standard? From your description you have gone straight from there to testing the dog on 40-60 yard blinds. Although you are able to hack him there you have a long way to go. There's a reason its called DD Basics.

Tony, I didn't mean I had started running all cold blinds with him and quit the T work on land and in water, just that we had run a few just for me to get an idea of where he is at in his concept of handling and going where I command when I say to. This is my first dog so I'm always willing to listen to any criticism or advice. What is the best way to transition from T work to blinds, I've seen where a lot if trainers are set on sitting pattern blinds first, others seem to think it is best to start with cold blinds. Any help on which direction to go from now would be much appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by ArkansasDuck View Post
    Tony, I didn't mean I had started running all cold blinds with him and quit the T work on land and in water, just that we had run a few just for me to get an idea of where he is at in his concept of handling and going where I command when I say to. This is my first dog so I'm always willing to listen to any criticism or advice. What is the best way to transition from T work to blinds, I've seen where a lot if trainers are set on sitting pattern blinds first, others seem to think it is best to start with cold blinds. Any help on which direction to go from now would be much appreciated!
    I'm a fan of doing pattern blinds for a very short time and then moving to bird boy blinds. There was a recent thread called "Cold Blinds Do's and Don't s" where Breck pretty much held court and outlined the whole process. Check it out. I think it will help you.

IMO...pattern blinds, if this is your first rodeo.

Thanks guys, I'll check the thread out and search for some others!

Quote Originally Posted by don_adcock View Post
    chris told me that he will not run any dogs in a seasoned test until he is training on finished level!! Im not sure who said the quote but when I heard it, it stuck with me. its better for your dog to be under whelmed than over whelmed!!
    I think thats great advice. I agree if your over goal is HRCH & MH train to get there. Keep that youngster in a controlled environment until he is ready, don't loose training for a $5 ribbon. If you want to see what he is like in a HT environment simulate it with a training group. I know its hard not to run him but if the training is there you and him will be a great team in the future for it. IMO its great to run youngsters on started & juniors but seasoned is too risky with all the mechanics being in a uncontrolled environment if he/she is not 100% ready.

Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." Is that what you remember hearing?
    That's a great one liner! And my new training mantra!

Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    Let me see if this sounds more familiar. "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." Is that what you remember hearing?

Evan
    This is great advice and when put into context make all the sense in the world.
    How The West was Won ( Colt)
    Delilahs Addicted to Mischief ( Delilah) My Jammin little girl
    Extreme Dixies Rebel Yell ( Dixie ) JH
    Dawsons Little Sable (Sable) 12 /08 - 5/14 , We'll hunt again someday girl.

St. Thomas, the great doctor and theologian, warns about the proper use of animals, lest they appear at the final Judgment against us: and God himself will take vengeance on all who misuse his creatures.