The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Super Singles competition Format ???

Default Super Singles competition Format ???

With all the hunt tests filling up so fast in Texas , I'm thinking about putting on a Super singles test on a weekend when a hunt test is already full. just to give some of the Am's that couldn't get in a test a chance to play some dog games. Does anybody have an outline or format for this kind of competition? any experiences you'd like to share. Thanks, BC

Quote Originally Posted by capt.red View Post
    With all the hunt tests filling up so fast in Texas , I'm thinking about putting on a Super singles test on a weekend when a hunt test is already full. just to give some of the Am's that couldn't get in a test a chance to play some dog games. Does anybody have an outline or format for this kind of competition? any experiences you'd like to share. Thanks, BC
    A super singles or singles marathon can be organized in a small or larger club in a variety of ways. One or two days, rotating judges, eliminations, and increasing complexity of singles. The best includes a calcutta, where dogs and handlers are bid on at the start. Wnners split pot. It can become complex. Best to start on a Sat, eat, drink and party, and conclude on Sun. Some of the funnest days I've ever been to... but it takes as much as putting on a test JD
    One cannot reason someone out of something they were not reasoned into. - Jonathan Swift

We have a singles marathon in the spring most years in Manhattan, Kansas. It is a two day event and it really helps those who starting out and those who have young dogs. All entrants are given five marked retrieves before there are any cuts and the first few are not difficult. The second day starts out with long marks on complex terrain. This event was started by Jane Laman many years ago and she is a huge supporter and fan of what gets done. The event is on her land and adjacent Corps of Engineers land. It is a more relaxed event and the focus is on the marking and not the line manners. This year's Singles Marathon will be the first weekend in April. Those who remember Jane as a great retriever trainer and character should find a way to work the event into their schedule. I will see if I can post a flyer on the event.
    Spencer Tomb

I think the most fun I ever had at a dog event was running my two in a Ten Singles event many years ago. The judges kept a running tab each series. They each scored each mark on a one to ten scale, so a perfect score would be 20 points. The marshal kept a white board with the accumulated score for each dog right after each series, so it was fun and exciting for all involved. There was a lot more banter going on between contestants, judges and even the judges razzing each other on certain scores. It was a kick I remember I place each of my dogs, one in the field trial category and one in the hunting dog category. One other thing, every dog got to run at least four series even if you picked him up prior. I can't remember how many flyers we got, but there were some, and like JD said, it took two days.

This year's Singles Marathon will be the first weekend in April.
    I thought it was the first weekend of March?
    Jeannie Greenlee

Blazinlakes Legally Blonde CDX JH NAJ RA WC OD (1st Retriever)
    HRCH Smokingold Guns Up CCA WCX CD MH
    https://sites.google.com/site/smokingoldretrievers/home

Though it has been a while, I've run in two events.

They both were similar. There was a land set up with 4 singles from multiple guns that stayed in the field. One was a flyer. At the same time there was a water set up that had 3 marks from mulitple guns, one being a flyer.
    Field was split and one group did land, the other water and they then switched.

There were two judges at each who score each single 1 thru 10. Combine the two scoreas and a marshall lists them on a white board.

After all dogs have run the 7 marks, The 10 top scorers were called Finalists and a 3 mark land/water series was held to determine champion. Previous scores did not apply.

It was a lot of fun.
    Last edited by Dave Plesko; 02-24-2014 at 04:36 PM. Reason: spelling

I judged one many years ago for the Yankee Waterfowlers HRC. My co-judge was Pete Plourde. That was a lot of fun.

I wish I knew then, how little I knew then. I probably would have learned more!
    "Determining and applying the criteria for when and when not to use correction is the essence of the art of dog training. I make a distinction between a mistake and a lack of effort." - Mike Lardy - Volume I "After Collar Conditioning"

I have always wanted to run one of these! Seems like it would be fun, especially for my older dog who can't control himself at the line. Maybe he would have a shot! Anybody in NM or CO up for this?
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

One idea that I heard about some years ago was a club had a super singles and had a roped off area with great food and drinks. Only people allowed into that area were those whos' dogs had been dropped.
    Greg Bell

Aren't some of them a timed event? Each single is timed with a stop watch, and after each series times are all added up lowest time wins..