The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I like a discussion

My thought on Ams having to Q a MN dog is then we might get more owners in the field, adding to club resources in some case (hopefully they get hooked on all of it not just owning a good dog.)
    John C aka jacduck

"Duck hunter's minds are like concrete. All mixed up and permanently set."

Quote Originally Posted by jacduck View Post
    Talking with folks at Port Arthur RC HT this weekend and a light popped on. One heavily discussed topic was entries and overload (imagine that). As an aside, Port Arthur did a great job again. THANKS!

My light bulb in a balloon thingy is. MN should require 6 passes per year to Q to run. 4 of those passes may be by a pro handler. The other 2 must be done by the amateur owner with no pro co-owners allowed. Thereafter any handler may run the pup at MN.

Justification is IMHO titles are steps up the ladder for breeders and money in their pocket so to speak. Therefore they have pros do the field work and they both reap benefits. I have no issues with business enterprises or business plans, just trying to take some of the pressure off the Hunt test game that was started for primarily the Ams and has grown way beyond that intent by entrepreneurs.

Yes I believe the field side of the breeds has benefited greatly from our game and the associated breeders and pros. Further I have no interest in what or how much money MN or AKC gain or lose in such an endeavor so that could be left out of discussion. If handlers, owners and clubs agree on something and put it forward the committees will be forced to read the hand writing on the wall.

What are your thoughts?
    What if the owner has a handicap and physically can't run his/her own dog?

Senior Member Twin Willows Labs's Avatar

I just posted this in another thread. Thoughts?

Ok. As I read these, I am curious why this is not handled the same as other instances where demand exceeds supply. Please note that I am not taking sides in the pro vs. am discussion. Nor have I been fortunate enough to run a dog in a MH test (or unfortunate enough to be shut out of one). I am simply offering a solution that might make sense. If entries are limited (say 60 dogs), and sells out, why not create a wait list of say 10-12 dogs? At some pre-determined date provided by the club (3-7 days ahead maybe?), the person entering the dog MUST confirm on EE that the dog will actually be running. If the entry is not confirmed, one of the wait list dogs fills the spot. In order to prevent the monopolization that many seem to feel disdain towards, perhaps set up a one-dog-per-handler wait list.

Could this work?
    "If you're too busy to duck hunt, you're too busy" - Jase Robertson
    "You're going hunting again? In this weather?" - My fiance

Twin Willows Lil Miss Zoey JH
    Soon to be the next big thing.
    Andrew's Baby Saint
    The queen bee. Old and deaf. My version of the once-in-a-lifetime dog. I regret not sharing her with the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowtown View Post
    What if the owner has a handicap and physically can't run his/her own dog?
    To be worked out but certainly an amateur handler must do the 2 Qs. Then of course there will be some that find a way to cheat the system and in the future another fix will come along.

To the people in rodeo land maybe we need two circuits, one for the true pro and one for just plain rodeo nuts (handlers).
    John C aka jacduck

"Duck hunter's minds are like concrete. All mixed up and permanently set."

The better way to limit the master national number was the 5 out of 6 tests or 8 passes overall in a season thing (I'm sure memory is off on the exact #'s) but I remember they were going to change or did change the qualification to something like that. Only they changed it back to 6 out of any # of tests, then made the MNH an official title. Pretty much sent the message to me that they don't really care about limiting entries in the master national. And the clubs just needed to deal with it, which they did by placing limits on their tests. Now the handlers, will just need to deal with it. A lot of options on the table for that. If I had to bet the amateurs-workers not showing up to help at tests they can't get into will make it so something will be done (either by the clubs or the powers that be) this or next season. Again We shall see.
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 02-24-2014 at 04:18 PM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    SHR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

What do you do with the pro that owns a dog? We happen to have dogs, Adam is a pro (and we've been "shut out" of several tests he wanted to attend)...We have a few young dogs (we kept selling our "keepers" while he was in the bomb dog program). Some of our dogs are "owned" by him, others by me. In Field Trials due to change of rules, I no longer qualify as an Amateur even though I have had a back injury and an "unsuccessful" surgery...I rarely leave the house/yard, I don't even put a leash on my own dogs that I think might pull, so I really do very little in the "training" aspect. I would love to have our personal dogs run at Master National. Some threads have mentioned "if you want more, go to field trials"...we don't have a dog that is ready for that, don't think we're quite ready to step up to that game even if they were at a MH level (except qualifying). There are quite a few pros in the same boat...they own dogs as well. It's also hard to run field trial and hunt test circuit at the same time. We're "average Joe's", too, that love our dogs, and hubby decided to take on client dogs as he did on a limited basis before going into the bomb dog program.
    High Tess JH
    Cedar Swamp's Linden JH
    Cedar Swamp's Cuttin a Rug
    Cedar Swamp's Holy Terror JH (3 SH passes)
    Blackfoot's Mr Independence at Cedar Swamp JH
    Cedar Swamp's Angel in Disguise
    Cedar Swamp's Test Pilot
    Cedar Swamp's Bonanza
    Cedar Swamp's Twisted Sister

Others have also graced our hearts...gone not forgotten.
    RC Buckshot of Seven Hickories MH
    Ceader Swamp's Deuces Wild SH
    Fallen Timber's Second Chance MH
    Ceader Swamp's Mac Millett SH
    and several others...