The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: US Army Puppy Training and Puppy Testing

Default US Army Puppy Training and Puppy Testing

Greetings All

I saw an early puppy training mentioned in an ad for a litter. I would like to read more about this an puppy testing. I got into the latter back 25 years ago when I helped a breeder test her puppies. It was a great joy to watch the development in weeks 4 though 7.

Please help me out with some titles. I expect it is going to get exciting here by the end of the week as 28 February is day 63 for our Tully. Indian Creeks Kaw River Tully.

Spencer Tomb

Use the keywords "early neural stimulation."

I haven't been able to trace to the original research paper, but I think everyone does pretty much the same thing.

Amy Dahl

I received an interesting link via private email. The blog post at the link claims that the Army never claimed the stated results and that the Super Dog program was abandoned. I note that Dr. Battaglia, although he includes references, does not reference any Army publications, and that he misuses the term "heritability." In fact he wrongly defines heritability in a way that supports his hypothesis.

Here's the link I received in case anyone wants to check it out: http://www.border-wars.com/2012/02/b...biosensor.html

Thanks to the sender for setting me straight!

Amy Dahl

There's one peer-reviewed research study of Carmen Battaglia's ENS program. When added to a puppy raising program that already had high standards and used good practices, ENS produced no observable benefits whatsoever. The study seemed well designed and followed dogs from puppyhood into their working careers (they were being bred and trained for mine detection).

The study was published in 2011. Can't remember whether the Border Wars blog posts discussed it but thought it was worth mentioning in case they didn't and you want to look it up.

Interesting comments! My feeling on the whole thing is it is likely doing no harm. It's added time w/ handling the pups... and they seem to adjust rapidly to the new positions/stress, so that should be a positive overall.

Recently got to meet with a geneticist that was part of the development of that program when he was in the army. He now works at a very prestigious guide dog school. I asked him about adding the ENS program to our detector dog protocol... he didn't seem to think that it made a difference. Not evidence based by any means, but he's worked with a lot of high performing dogs.
    Natalie Fraser, DVM
    Trifecta Labradors

Home to my heart dog, Hudson:
    Am/Can Ch. Marshyhope's Satisfaction, CGC, WC, CDX, RE, JH

Quote Originally Posted by windycanyon View Post
    My feeling on the whole thing is it is likely doing no harm. It's added time w/ handling the pups... and they seem to adjust rapidly to the new positions/stress, so that should be a positive overall.
    Our thoughts as well!
    www.dakotacreekretrievers.com

Online store - http://store.dakotacreekretrievers.com
    Find us on facebook!

GMHR-III Dakota Creek's Royal Navigator MH (AKC & CKC)
    MHR Pine Acre's Dakota Sand Creek SH WCI
    Dakota Creek's Royal Gem
    Dakota Creek's Long Shot
    Dakota Creek's Wreaking Havoc

Informative article "Early Neurological Stimulation" by Dr. Carmen L. Battaglia

We do Neurological Stimulation with all of our pups. The buyers say they adjust better than some others they have bought in the past.
    Carolina American Water Spaniels

HRCH UH Carolina's Duck Gumbo MHA SHR RN WDS CGC TDI (Gumbo) 1000 Point Club
    UH HR GCH Carolina's Wild March Hare SH JHR RAE OA OAJ WDX CGC TDI (Bunny)
    HR CH Carolina's Running with the Hare SH JHR RN WDX CGC (Blew)