The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: Limits: discussion from a practical aspect

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie Spann View Post
    I don't have a solution for the problem, however, I can offer my opinion.

The closest master HT to me is a two hour drive. I have made the two hour drive and my dog went out in the first series (first dog that ran) and I stayed the remainder of the weekend to help with the HT. I was already there and had already booked a room, etc. If I'm at a HT and the hosting club needs someone to pitch in and help out then I will gladly offer to help out in any capacity needed. If I'm a member of the club hosting the event then I expect to be assisting in some capacity all weekend.

Now, if I attempt to enter an event and its already filled up, then don't expect to see this amateur/weekend warrior marshalling, shooting fliers, throwing marks, etc. for you. I will be somewhere else enjoying myself. I'm not going to donate an entire weekend and spend a couple hundred bucks just so I can work for free for two days so that others may participate in an event that I was unable to enter due to entries being limited.

Lonnie Spann
    Excellent summary of the possible ramifications of excluding Amateur participation.
    My stance on this issue is that I want an equal chance to get entered as everyone else. I don't want to have to monitor EE 24 hrs a day to know when that 8 minute window of opportunity to enter is going to happen. Additionally I dont type nearly as fast as most, so I'm not sure I'd do well in an 8 minute typing race. I didn't spend a yr and a half & countless hours driving 1000's of miles to find adequate training groups and facilities to get my dog ready to run a Master test to be excluded because I couldn't get in. We are supposed to be testing dog and handler abilities: not computer monitoring or typing skills of the owner/handlers or their pros

Lonnies post illuminates the dangers of having actual Ams; who are the ones who can work and actually put on the test, excluded from even entering their dog. He makes a valid point about the need to reserve spots for Ams; after al the game was invented for the Ams.

I'm in the same boat as Lonnie, my days of working tests that I'm excluded from entering are over. Call us selfish if you want. To me it is just logical; I have better things to do with my time than to be an unpaid volunteer so that a Pro can make money running his string of dogs. If I were a pro, Id be very concerned about killing the goose that is laying his golden egg

Quote Originally Posted by Good Dogs View Post
    I sent EE a suggestion that was forwarded on to the RTHAC and AKC. It was simply to allow clubs to institute a wait list that would automatically fill pre-closing scratches as they occur. It won't make more land and resources available for clubs that have practical limits. And it won't totally resolve the problem for folks that miss an opening. But it will make it easier and more equitable for folks to to fill in for those that decide not to run before entries close. Should be easy for EE to administer. If you think it has merit let the RTHAC know. Small steps.

Bob Swift
    Excellent idea and I'll see if I can get my club to forward it to RHTAC. As for Entry Express not being willing to do the extra work: they're making a killing off the scratch fees; seems like that should be more than adequate for it to be implemented.
    Julie R., Hope Springs Farm
    Chesapeake Bay Retrievers since 1981

Quote Originally Posted by mjh345 View Post
    nonprofits
    Curiously, nonprofit status does not mean that the entity can't earn a profit, although that's not what they call it. I'm not sure why nonprofit status means clubs can't raise entry fees.

Now, the risk that increased entry fees is at least as much a deterrent for amateurs as not being able to get into limited entry tests is worth looking at IMHO.
    Steve Wyatt

HR Belle's Rolling Big Rig "Jimmy"

Quote Originally Posted by Julie R. View Post
    Excellent idea and I'll see if I can get my club to forward it to RHTAC. As for Entry Express not being willing to do the extra work: they're making a killing off the scratch fees; seems like that should be more than adequate for it to be implemented.
    I would be surprised if EE makes money off scratch fees. You would be surprised at how little money EE actually generates.
    Competition does not build character - It reveals it.

Home of:
    FC/AFC Freeridin Wowie Zowie (2003 NARC Finalist)
    FC/AFC Sky Hy Husker Power
    FC/AFC Freeridin Smooth Operator
    FC/AFC Freeridin Vampire Slayer (2007 NARC Finalist)
    AFC Freeridin Maserati (Double Header Winner)

www.freeridinretrievers.com

Ed and I, and others looked at a similar problem with Field Trials many years ago. There is no magic pill that solves all issues. Fairness is a matter of what you think is fair.

For example

Random Entry
    - It is random
    - But does not address worker issue. If your workers don't get in with random entry, will they work?

Worker Preference
    - Who defines worker
    - What happens to people who work - but at a different trial in a different part of the country

Amateur Preference
    - Who defines amateur
    - Is a handler with 4 dogs an amateur (or to put it another way, why favor an amateur with 5 dogs over a pro with 4?)
    - Will you drive away pros and lose money?

Raise entry fees
    - Hurt middle class participant
    - May eliminate workers

Frankly, I think AKC will only approve of random entry. But, I could be wrong.
    Competition does not build character - It reveals it.

Home of:
    FC/AFC Freeridin Wowie Zowie (2003 NARC Finalist)
    FC/AFC Sky Hy Husker Power
    FC/AFC Freeridin Smooth Operator
    FC/AFC Freeridin Vampire Slayer (2007 NARC Finalist)
    AFC Freeridin Maserati (Double Header Winner)

www.freeridinretrievers.com