The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Limits: discussion from a practical aspect

Quote Originally Posted by fishduck View Post
    What does it take from a volunteer standpoint to put on another Master test?
    2 judges (thanks to their tireless dedication to the game=readily available)
    3 marshals (ideal)
    4 flyer shooters (to allow breaks)
    4 hired bird technicians
    One of my clubs is experiencing this right now. We offered two events -- both with Masters with a 120 dog limited. Entries opened Friday night. By Sunday morning the 120 dog limit was reached in both. 60 dogs will run in Master A and Master B for each event. Keep in mind, to put on the events which have 2 masters and a minor stake, Two masters and a minor stake are going to be running at the same time. That takes a lot of judges, gunners, marshals and other manpower.

To add another master stake for each event is not doable. The club does not have the judges nor the gunners, marshals, bird throwers, and other volunteer help to add a Master C for each event. We are stretching as it is. We regret that there are disappointed people who can't enter their dogs in the Masters. This is a new experience for this No. Calif. club and will probably happen only this year because the MN is to be held in No. California.

Helen

I do believe the AKC rule on mandatory split came before the ability of clubs to limit entries. All I could as the HTS was pray that the club's Master entries never exceeded that many because if they did we would have to cancel the test as a whole. At that time we rarely had huge entries and this was due to the dates our test was on and people trying to qualify for the MN. (<--- maybe part of the issue). However when the ability to limit entries came about, it was a perfect way for our club to make sure we did not have to cancel, but the side effect was that other clubs limited, which in turn caused our numbers to go up - I think that's because people are trying to qualify their dogs with this opportunities to do so.

Anyway, I'm not sure what the solution is, I only have a limited interest in HT and I'm biased toward my club members because I'm the worker bee that attempts to put it on for the circuit (along with a couple other dedicated club members). and you have to keep your workers happy or you won't have anyone working...
    "You can't eat a pig whole, but you can eat a whole pig." - Joe S.

Proudly Owned By:

MHR HR Flash Of Mischief SH CD CGC - Flash (10/15/98 - 10/8/12)
    Lightning Fast Quack Attacker*** - Bullet
    Gotta Heart Of A Warrior - Ranger (12/26/07 - 8/10/2010)
    SML's Gettin' Sexy With It*** - Tango
    FOM's Raising a Ruckus in the Rockies - Riot

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleHaul View Post
    The FT rules have a provision where the club can move the Am start to Friday if the entries are greater than 65. The problem with this is that it requires the club to allow anyone the option to run at the regular time. So, if you a club does start on Friday, finshes the land marks and maybe starts the land blind, it has to go run land marks again on Saturday, so it isn't really workable.

What if in HTs, you allowed a HT that filled its limit before the close to increase the limit and move to a 3 day master and anyone that didn't want to run starting on Friday could scratch? It would take adjustments but it is easier to make them in advance than to deal with it with two weeks before the event.

If you start a master on Fri. so you can have a bigger one, it probably wouldn't do anything to help the ones being hurt by the limits. It's not going to stem the tidal wave of pro entries, and it's harder on clubs depending on volunteer or even paid help (most of whom have day jobs). Fri. is usually the hardest day to get them.
    Julie R., Hope Springs Farm
    Chesapeake Bay Retrievers since 1981

Elaine says "I don't have enough vacation time to run him myself. " That is a hard consideration but another thought is I know an owner up north who says "My dog is so good so why should I run him and not the pro?" I chocked, why have a dog you can't run? Diff strokes I guess.

My thought on Ams having to Q a MN dog is then we might get more owners in the field, adding to club resources in some case (hopefully they get hooked on all of it not just owning a good dog.)
    John C aka jacduck

"Duck hunter's minds are like concrete. All mixed up and permanently set."

Quote Originally Posted by Julie R. View Post

If you start a master on Fri. so you can have a bigger one, it probably wouldn't do anything to help the ones being hurt by the limits. It's not going to stem the tidal wave of pro entries, and it's harder on clubs depending on volunteer or even paid help (most of whom have day jobs). Fri. is usually the hardest day to get them.
    Yes, things are tougher on Fridays with volunteers. but every FT starts on Friday. I was thinking about if the issue is grounds and not workers so much. I have no particular interest in keeping pros out (their help is usually most appreciated on Friday)--just keeping entries within the limits of the available grounds and the idea was a way to be able to increase the capacity if it appears that the demand is high enough.

Fishduck you have a great question (ole wise one) and chief stirrer of the pot

Yes a club can add a flight or 2 up to the 240 limit of limits. Of course all the mandatory splits must be maintained. Above 240 it becomes "unlimited". All these things must happen before the close date/time but yes a club could add flights is they had judges, grounds and workers.

Hopefully soon some club will try to add

All in my opinion its not about pros and amateurs - its about the dogs and lets try to remember that

Dk

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Kress View Post
    Fishduck you have a great question (ole wise one) and chief stirrer of the pot

Yes a club can add a flight or 2 up to the 240 limit of limits. Of course all the mandatory splits must be maintained. Above 240 it becomes "unlimited". All these things must happen before the close date/time but yes a club could add flights is they had judges, grounds and workers.

Hopefully soon some club will try to add

All in my opinion its not about pros and amateurs - its about the dogs and lets try to remember that

Dk
    amateurs arent the ones filling up the tests in 8 minutes.
    "The thing I admire about the rat tail is that it takes commitment. It's not like one day you just decide you want one, you have to grow out that bad boy and you have to repeatedly convince the hairdresser to trust you because it's a great idea."

With due respect #17 it is amateurs footing the tab.
    Test chairman and all workers are being tested. Wither its about limits or grounds or efforts or / or - or

This hurdle is about who we are - yes deep dokey but a test of who we are
    I hope i am enough to step forward
    Dk

Quote Originally Posted by achiro View Post
    amateurs arent the ones filling up the tests in 8 minutes.
    Yes actually it is

/Paul
    Paul Cantrell
    Black Ice Retrievers
    Marcola OR

Too many dogs to list (By some Bitch)

https://www.facebook.com/BlackIceRetrievers
    http://gundog2002.blogspot.com/
    "Helping Hunters Train Their Dogs"

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Kress View Post
    With due respect #17 it is amateurs footing the tab.
    Test chairman and all workers are being tested. Wither its about limits or grounds or efforts or / or - or

This hurdle is about who we are - yes deep dokey but a test of who we are
    I hope i am enough to step forward
    Dk
    Nope, writing a check makes you an owner, not an amateur.
    "The thing I admire about the rat tail is that it takes commitment. It's not like one day you just decide you want one, you have to grow out that bad boy and you have to repeatedly convince the hairdresser to trust you because it's a great idea."