The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Olympic Medals

I'll chime in. I find it funny that someone is born here, raised here, educated here, gets paid professionally here (hockey) yet plays for the country where his parents were born. Really? Then go back to that country and see who provides for you.

Quote Originally Posted by goin2drt View Post
    I'll chime in. I find it funny that someone is born here, raised here, educated here, gets paid professionally here (hockey) yet plays for the country where his parents were born. Really? Then go back to that country and see who provides for you.
    Dunno if there are any American citizens playing for the Mapleleafs, but if there are, they would play for the UAS Olympic team.

JS
    “Don’t wave your phony patriotism in MY face! If you really love America, open your wallet and hire an American kid to build what you buy. Think of all our problems that might solve.” Doug Fraser (paraphrased) 1980

Real Americans buy American.

Snowshoe's All American Guy SH, UDX, WCX ... CODY ... at the bridge
    CH. Snowshoe's Girl Crazy MH, UD, WCX, SDHF, OS ... PRESLEY
    ... at the bridge
    Millpond's Baby Boomer MH*** ... BABE
    Snowshoe's Crazy For Lovin You SH ... NELSON

Quote Originally Posted by huntinman View Post
    It's the WINTER Olympics.... I would be more concerned if it was the summer games. I watched some of the last day cross country ski... We can't compete with the world in that. Never have. Our best athletes are playing mainstream sports. Where the money is.
    Bill is spot on, our best athletes are playing football and basketball, running track. Add to that the reality few athletes who live a location that would allow them to train for the winter events or the money it takes to compete in them and you have eliminated the 99% of the athletes left that aren't into mainstream sports. How many RTF members kids that have bob sledded, or spent much time of a luge, how many of you have $20k to spend on coaches, ice time, choreography, travel necessary to be involved in figure skating, how many of us live next to a world class ski lodge or ski jump? Its the winter Olympics, which have the best competitors in their respective events, but the world class "athletes" here aren't involved in those sports (with a few exceptions like hockey) IMO.

Here is a good article that lets you review winter olympic medal history by country for all years or by each year. http://graphics.latimes.com/winter-olympics/

It appears to be a down year for the US, especially given that many US medals were in new x-game inspired events. I blame it on Obama and the lazy entitlement mindset in today yout's .

It can't have anything to do with the fact that winter olympic sports are an afterthought in American culture outside of a few regional centers. Heck, tiny little Austria has more ski jump hills than the US. Re Hockey, nothing new this year. Canada and the Russia have 9 gold medals each. Sweden and the US have 2 each historically.
    Last edited by Henry V; 02-24-2014 at 11:24 PM.

Sportsmanship or Putin ? It was their Games.
    I don't think I smell like a brewery. I was drinking Scotch.

Quote Originally Posted by JS View Post
    Dunno if there are any American citizens playing for the Mapleleafs, but if there are, they would play for the UAS Olympic team.

JS
    Phil Kessel
    www.dakotacreekretrievers.com

Online store - http://store.dakotacreekretrievers.com
    Find us on facebook!

GMHR-III Dakota Creek's Royal Navigator MH (AKC & CKC)
    MHR Pine Acre's Dakota Sand Creek SH WCI
    Dakota Creek's Royal Gem
    Dakota Creek's Long Shot
    Dakota Creek's Wreaking Havoc

Wonder how NBC came out in the viewership numbers. I quit watching when Peekaboo Street aged out.

UB
    When the one you love becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure.

Quote Originally Posted by JS View Post

JS
    How many medals did the UAS get?

Speedskating used to be huge here, not so much now.

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    How many medals did the UAS get?

Speedskating used to be huge here, not so much now.

But those were the days of Eric Heiden and Bonnie Blair,then Dan Jansen captivated all of us.....Those were the kind of athletes that made you proud to be an American
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

There is so much time involved for the training that good talent only lasts for one or two Olympics for the Americans. They can make more money in the broadcast booth with much less effort. I noticed Russia ( I think) had a speed skater that was with S Korea the last time? The US, got somebody too, from another country. Maybe there were more that moved around? That was interesting to me, that athletes could, and would, move around like that. I think if there is an outside chance of competing well, another country would pay your way. So then, these people have agents out looking for the best deal? And, now we are not looking at amateur athletes anymore. Then, there is the Pairs competition in Ice Skating, and our US couple is together for over 17 years in preparation for the Gold? They were pretty good. As far as the pros, I think only Hockey had the true pros. But, there were plenty of others that could be called pros, by the way they financed their training. I watched a documentary on Lolo Jones, and she has done pretty well in track, getting paid too, and they tried to make a bobsledder of her. Unfortunately, like many things we have held dear, it has gotten way out of hand. The money that is spent on hosting an Olympics, and then, whatever goes on behind the scenes for the athletes, goes way beyond the idea of Amateur Athletics. It's a good thing the US was not looking to host another Olympics, as our fearless leader would have come up with another 8 or 10 billion of our tax dollars, and volunteered to put one on. Come to think about it, he wasn't in the Olympic picture at all? Was he? Beyond all that, I still think it an honor to compete for and represent your country. Tommy Lasorda said that to manage the Olympic Baseball Team was his greatest lifetime honor. I was disappointed in the medal count too, but, for Winter Olympics we were in the top 5, or, so. I overheard on of the announcers say that Russia would have traded all their medals for the Men's Hockey Gold. Opinionated? Yes, but think of the emphasis they put upon that program to succeed.
    With our guys, I think they just folded up after the Canadians got the victory. It appeared to be gold, or, no gold. Cannot hardly wait for the summer Olympics to get here.