The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Can Field Labs Stand, (stack or whatever)?; Photo Challenge

Default Can Field Labs Stand, (stack or whatever)?; Photo Challenge

OK so I've been reading all the conformation threads, with interest. What I got out of most of them is that conformation judges have a certain idea what is standard, perhaps because they never see the other lab type. Then I've been looking at the pictures of the pass dual champions, and most field type labs; seems like all the standing pictures of these type of lab are dated 20's, 50's etc. It is very hard to find a modern Field Lab who is standing (stacking); all the pictures of this type are Labs sitting. Thus it is hard to put them up as a side by side comparison.

So I'm sitting at home last night, having a cocktail and figure how hard can it be to get a picture of a field lab standing, why not try it. After a few attempts conclusion is..It is very very hard, field labs move around, or they sit, then when you get them to stand they look like they're being tortured. We also got out the measuring tape and stood on the scale. (we won't mention how much of my weight I had to subtract, to get theirs )

So I throw it out to the forum, Can you get a picture of your Lab standing? Perhaps we can get a few nice pics, or at least we can have a bit of fun.

Just so no one feels embarrassed, I'll go first here are my attempts at, conformation stand field lab

6yr. Female (height 23in; Weight 65lb) in standard abet being tortured, and looks like she's gonna be getting a few less cookies
    Kota.jpg

14mt. Female (height 22in Weight 55lb) in standard abet being restrained, not done filling out so I'm guessing ~60-65lb when she's done
    storm.jpg

I'm definitely not interested in a conformation assessment; but I did get them to stand
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 02-25-2014 at 11:39 AM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    SHR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

I think field labs don't like to stand because they are tired from running. The show labs stand becuse they are tired of laying down.
    DUCKDAWG'S MAC'S MAGICAL MR. OCTOBER JH -- Reggie

My (then) 8yo male was accepted to participate in an orthopedic study at Texas A&M; I think they were interested in elbows, but all I know is that you'd get free comprehensive exams and reports, so I took him. After dropping him off and heading for some breakfast (they said allow 2 hours), I got a call before I could even order my eggs. "You can come get him. We can't use him. He won't stand for the X-rays". Well no $hit. He's been trained to sit since he was 7 weeks old....

Good thread!
    It is not hard to teach your dog this (and, I think, perhaps some conformation breeders would take 'us' more seriously if we could ever show them that a field dog in good condition in a standing position).
    This is what I do. Have my dog sit. Throw out something enticing a few feet in front of them. While they are looking at it, physically stand them up and tell them stay. Step back 6 feet and snap a photo. Release to fetch said item. If they sit back down again before I get the photo or release them, I just go prop them back up. Takes all of 5 minutes to learn the drill and then you can get more fussy about foot placement later. The toy/bumper out front gives them something to focus on so they aren't turning to look at you - seems to work better than a human helper.

Best way to measure height- just like a kid! Have them stand next to a wall, mark a spot, and then measure that. Much easier than trying to measure the dog

22 inches, 58 lb bitch a couple weeks after weaning her 3rd litter (out of coat!)

22 inches, 55 lb bitch- about 5 weeks pregnant in this pic:

Keep in mind that even with a dog standing quietly, their structure can look a lot different depending on if they are hunched up, leaning slightly backwards (ready to pounce!) or if your camera angle isn't square on or at dog level.
    Last edited by Erin Lynes; 02-25-2014 at 11:50 AM.
    Erin Lynes
    Eromit Labrador Retrievers

Home of:
    Twig AGDC, Ruger JH ADC SGDC MGDC MSDC MSCDC CRNCL, Winchester SGDC CRNCL, Shelby SGDC CRNCL, Spider, Kimber, Verona, Missie, Jackie,
    Victor CRNCL, Jet, Glitzy CRNMCL SGDC, Harvey & Viper
    ..........gone but never forgotten, the gal who started it all: Spider's Sunshine MSDC MSCDC AADC AGDC NAC NGC NJC (Nestle) ...........

A requirement for obedience is to “stand for an exam”

As erin said.. Its not hard to teach .. I use a different method than what she described but there is more than one way to skin a cat (or a dog I guess)...
    none of my dogs have a drip of “show” blood ... but they can “stand”

Danielle R. Pellicci
    http://www.blackFootkennels.com
    Home of:
    SPICE, MH (11) CD RA NA (OA2) NAJ
    (FC AFC “Cori” X Malli QAA)
    FEATHER, MH QAA
    (FC AFC “Kicker” X “Spice” MH CD RA NA NAJ)
    PENNY, CD BN SH (RN2)
    (FC AFC CAFC “Copper” X “Faith” MH QAA)
    CAPPY
    (2XNAFC FC AFC “Ram” X “Cree”)
    HALO
    (FC AFC “Kicker” X“Spice” MH CD RA NA NAJ)
    TORCH
    (HRCH “Ticket” MH X“Penny” CD BN SH)
    &
    RIP: Rhumbline’s Guinness is Good, JH... Miss you every day "Big Man"

How do get them to stand still? Teach it.

Here is a young retriever learning to "whoa", "down" and "sit" with verbal commands and/or hand signals during daily OB sessions. The final expectation was to have Gunny return from a remote sit and do multiple, alternating "sits", "downs" and "whoas" (with verbal commands) on the way back to "heel" (off lead).

This last photo is directed more at having Daisy "not moving" and savoring the scent.

Jim Boyer www.kwicklabs.com
    MPR UH HRCH Kwick Taffey of Joemac's MH
    HR Kwick Daisy's Spirit Keeper SH
    Kwick Kooly Dew It Allstar SH
    HR Kwick Draw McGraw SH (June, 2007 - May, 2014)

One Shooter One Spaniel One Retriever

It's easy to teach....but on iPhone so won't attempt to explain, I'll leave it to others.

also search RTF a few years back a few RTFers with an eye toward conformation were kind to do evaluations on those willing to post pictures...but as usual if my memory serves me correctly it went down hill cause people don't have thick skin and take things personally....
    "You can't eat a pig whole, but you can eat a whole pig." - Joe S.

Proudly Owned By:
    MHR HR Flash Of Mischief SH CD CGC - Flash (10/15/98 - 10/8/12)
    Lightning Fast Quack Attacker*** - Bullet
    Gotta Heart Of A Warrior - Ranger (12/26/07 - 8/10/2010)
    SML's Gettin' Sexy With It*** - Tango
    FOM's Raising a Ruckus in the Rockies - Riot

Just to clarify- the method I described is not how I teach 'stand' as a formal cue - that is just a quicky way to get a dog who doesn't know the command to stand for a photo
    Erin Lynes
    Eromit Labrador Retrievers

Home of:
    Twig AGDC, Ruger JH ADC SGDC MGDC MSDC MSCDC CRNCL, Winchester SGDC CRNCL, Shelby SGDC CRNCL, Spider, Kimber, Verona, Missie, Jackie,
    Victor CRNCL, Jet, Glitzy CRNMCL SGDC, Harvey & Viper
    ..........gone but never forgotten, the gal who started it all: Spider's Sunshine MSDC MSCDC AADC AGDC NAC NGC NJC (Nestle) ...........

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt'EmUp View Post
    OK so I've been reading all the conformation threads, with interest. What I got out of most of them is that conformation judges have a certain idea what is standard, perhaps because they never see the other lab type. Then I've been looking at the pictures of the pass dual champions, and most field type labs; seems like all the standing pictures of these type of lab are dated 20's, 50's etc. It is very hard to find a modern Field Lab who is standing (stacking); all the pictures of this type are Labs sitting. Thus it is hard to put them up as a side by side comparison.

So I'm sitting at home last night, having a cocktail and figure how hard can it be to get a picture of a field lab standing, why not try it. After a few attempts conclusion is..It is very very hard, field labs move around, or they sit, then when you get them to stand they look like they're being tortured. We also got out the measuring tape and stood on the scale. (we won't mention how much of my weight I had to subtract, to get theirs )

So I throw it out to the forum, Can you get a picture of your Lab standing? Perhaps we can get a few nice pics, or at least we can have a bit of fun.

Just so no one feels embarrassed, I'll go first here are my attempts at, conformation stand field lab

6yr. Female (height 23in; Weight 65lb) in standard abet being tortured, and looks like she's gonna be getting a few less cookies
    Kota.jpg

14mt. Female (height 22in Weight 55lb) in standard abet being restrained, not done filling out so I'm guessing ~60-65lb when she's done
    storm.jpg

I'm definitely not interested in a conformation assessment; but I did get them to stand
    My FC/AFC sired lab that lives in a show world can actually pull off a show stack. HUbby is out of town this week so no show stack and camera at the ready. He loves to play show dog beacuse that means cookies.
    Hihope Hiland Heathen of Perth CD, RE, CGC, TDI