The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Can Field Labs Stand, (stack or whatever)?; Photo Challenge

I don't know how long it takes to train it, I think I know enough to say the dog in the training video isn't a lab . If it were a lab, it would sit, or it's tail would be wagging so it's back-end don't stay still, while trying to lick the handler, and retrieving the props, then coming over to slime the camera, the camera man, and knock over his drink. Only to finally stand tail-tucked, back hunched, ears down; looking like a candidate for a HSUS commercial
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 02-25-2014 at 05:44 PM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    SHR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

Here is an article with very specific directions to teach dogs (and their people) proper conformation stacking. A lot more to it than I thought. http://www.sue-eh.ca/page24/page40/

There's another article there about gaiting for shows.

That's a common misconception among show people, and it's a bunch of hooey. Dogs are smart enough to know the difference. We showed in breed and obedience at the same time, he has an automatic sit in the obedience ring but can tell the difference between heeling around an obedience ring, and jogging around the breed ring with a hunk of liver in the handler's hand....

Quote Originally Posted by Erin Lynes View Post
    One thing that a lot of my show-friends do is to intentionally NOT teach the dog to sit until later in their career, if ever. That prevents the sitting in anticipation that all of our field dogs are accustomed to doing from basically 8 weeks. They also have these little gadgets where the puppies learn to put one paw on each block, to learn muscle memory for the proper stacked position. Maybe one of the show people on here can post a pic or describe their process a little more thoroughly.

Barb Gibson
    with
    CH Rosewood Little Giant UDX VER RA SH MXP MJP OFP VCX WCX CCA CGC FFX-OG
    also UCH HR UUD UJJ URO1 UHIT
    (golden retriever) born 3-10-07
    a.k.a. "Tito", "The Tito Monster"
    www.GoTeamTito.com

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Babcock View Post
    When I was the Hunt Test Chairman, I brought the first Confirmation Certificate into Montana it was in conjunction with our Hunt Test. Barb and Don Ironwood came over and judged the JR an SR and Barb also judged the CC.
    She judged them whether they were wet, muddy or whatever. I brought my dog in to get judged and he just finished a water blind, as we all know a lab gets friendlier the wetter it is. She was trying to get him to stack and he kept licking her face. She gave him a high score for temperament.
    Ironside. And yes, both Barb and Don are quite used to that behavior! All of my gang living here go back to their choc CH/SH Shooter.

What I do is simply take my camera along on our 3milers. They get probably 10 miles in on some days to my 3.. plus swimming inte big canal. Usually after awhile, I can catch them in a nice standing pose naturally looking at something (the gun club is near, and some also fly remote control planes there) or I put them in their Obed stand and toss something to get their head up at attention. With puppies/untrained dogs, you can tether them as I did in the last photo and just wave something in front of them.
    Attached Images Attached Images

It's a whole lot easier to teach the dog than it is to teach the handler! You are expected to have the dog stacked correctly in 5 seconds or less when in the ring. It helps a lot if the dog knows "put it down" (the foot), and of course, "stay".
    Here's a properly stacked dog. (That's not me handling him, btw). Notice the front leg drops down completely straight from the body. The rear legs are pulled back so that a line from the bones on the back of the butt, dropped straight down, will just hit the front of the back toes. That shows the rear angulation correctly. The head is held high so that the arch of the neck and the forechest show correctly.
    These are win photos, so the tail is held up. In the ring, the tail is not held up, because the topline is shown more correctly if you let the tail hang in its natural position.
    In the third photo, the dog is "free stacked", which a lot of judges ask for. It means you stop him and he is standing naturally, without you placing his legs or otherwise altering his natural stance.
    The final photo is a candid shot. You can see that the "stacked" photos and the candid shot are very similar, so the stacking just shows the natural dog, doesn't alter his basic physique in any way.
    Last edited by hotel4dogs; 02-25-2014 at 05:57 PM.

Barb Gibson
    with
    CH Rosewood Little Giant UDX VER RA SH MXP MJP OFP VCX WCX CCA CGC FFX-OG
    also UCH HR UUD UJJ URO1 UHIT
    (golden retriever) born 3-10-07
    a.k.a. "Tito", "The Tito Monster"
    www.GoTeamTito.com

Gimme a day or two.

HPL
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com

Hagen, stacked on a log

Quote Originally Posted by hotel4dogs View Post
    That's a common misconception among show people, and it's a bunch of hooey. Dogs are smart enough to know the difference. We showed in breed and obedience at the same time, he has an automatic sit in the obedience ring but can tell the difference between heeling around an obedience ring, and jogging around the breed ring with a hunk of liver in the handler's hand....
    Oh, I agree! I thought it was funny that rather than 'teaching' something, they thought it was easier to 'not' teach something else! lol BTW those are NOT lab people, maybe retriever folks are smarter than foo-foo owners
    Erin Lynes
    Eromit Labrador Retrievers

Home of:
    Twig AGDC, Ruger JH ADC MGDC SGDC CRNCL, Winchester SGDC CRNCL, Shelby SGDC CRNCL, Spider, Kimber, Verona, Missie, Jackie, Victor CRNCL, Jet and Glitzy CRNMCL
    ..........gone but never forgotten, the gal who started it all: Spider's Sunshine MSDC MSCDC AADC AGDC NAC NGC NJC (Nestle) ...........

I never tried it with the labs but the FT setters could do it.

Great thread....thanks for sharing.