The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Can Field Labs Stand, (stack or whatever)?; Photo Challenge

I don't know if this is stacking, but here is a couple side pix of my avatar,Titan MH, . He is kind of a tweener---mostly field bred but with a couple bench dogs 4or 5 layers back. One of them was Int'l CH Puh's Superman.

Titan retrieving.jpgDogs 005a.jpg
    Last edited by zeus3925; 02-25-2014 at 10:41 PM.
    Zeus

I don't want to feed an ugly dog!

Good thread.

It would be great if more field-bred stud dogs had standing side view photos on a level surface (including the feet!). It is not just show people who need to see the standing pictures of field Labs, it is surely something everyone should consider before breeding a pair of dogs. Good performance horse breeders certainly consider conformation in breeding decisions, why should performance dog breeders be any different? To have some idea of a dog's structure without traveling all over the country to see every talented, titled possible stud dog would be helpful. Even a MH or FC can have splayed feet, upright shoulders, or rear legs like posts, it does the job in spite of those issues, doesn't mean things like that don't matter to the soundness of the dog or its offspring. If I have a bitch with the same issues, doubling up on them is probably not a good idea. While I do believe it is better to see a dog and watch it work in person that isn't always possible and in any case won't work until the choices are narrowed to a few.

Suggestions for photos....

Try shooting the pictures on the "dog's level", ie, kneel down so you're not taking the photo over top of the dog. It gives a much less distorted image of the overall picture of the dog.

Many dogs will free stack naturally if you throw something for them to catch (ie, bait) so that they have to jump up. Many of them will land naturally in a stacked position, but you need to have a second person taking the photo to get the picture.

lots of nice photos on this thread, btw.
    Natalie Fraser, DVM
    Trifecta Labradors

Home to my heart dog, Hudson:
    Am/Can Ch. Marshyhope's Satisfaction, CGC, WC, CDX, RE, JH

floyd 6mths stacked.jpgfloyd 6months.jpg

Someone asked about block training. These are not mine, I borrowed a set from a friend as they are very expensive. You can achieve similar results with large soup cans but this is the concept. I place the dog in the position I want and tie it to a command (stand). I've seen show dogs that know each foot by command and will reset individual feet as needed... its just like any other trained behavior.
    Natalie Fraser, DVM
    Trifecta Labradors

Home to my heart dog, Hudson:
    Am/Can Ch. Marshyhope's Satisfaction, CGC, WC, CDX, RE, JH

Quote Originally Posted by mitty View Post
    Ok "stacking," once you know the jargon there's a whole new internet dog training world!

How long does it take to train this:

It takes about a week, although the more effective way is to start them when they are young, hide behind something and scare them to death by jumping out and hitting them in the head with a pheasant at them while yelling "whoa", the same way they teach pointing labs.

The easiest way to get a good picture of the dog standing if it's not trained to stack is to put it up on a table or tailgate. Easier to move the feet around, and when you go to take the photo, you don't have to crouch down to get at eye level with the dog and can usually get a good photo easily. Because as someone else noted, looking down on the dog or using the wide angle lens that a lot of point & shoot and cell cameras have distorts things quite a bit. I too always want to see a photo of a dog I'm interested in standing. You can't see their wheels when they're sitting. You also can't see how they're put together, in fact about the only thing you can see in the usual sitting shots is the dog's head with the ears perked.
    Julie R., Hope Springs Farm
    Chesapeake Bay Retrievers since 1981

Best I could do!
    Attached Images Attached Images

There are some great photos here. The biggest issue I see is in most of them the rear legs need to be pulled back so that the front edge of the rear toes is under the bone that is on the butt (clear as mud?) so the rear legs don't appear straighter than they really are.
    Just for fun, here's the same dog standing unstacked on a table. The table is too short, so his rear legs are too far forward, too. We did this a while ago on another forum so that people could learn about the angles and such. The pieces of paper mark the places a judge *should* be checking for bone to determine the forechest, front and rear angulation, and length of the loin.

Barb Gibson
    with
    CH Rosewood Little Giant UDX VER RA MHU SH MXP MJP XFP T2BP DJ VCX WCX CCA CGC FFX-OG
    also UCH HR UUD UJJ URO1 UHIT
    (golden retriever) born 3-10-07
    a.k.a. "Tito", "The Tito Monster"
    www.GoTeamTito.com

Also photos showing correct and incorrect angulation in the rear leg. Dog in the first photo is very straight in the leg, which provides no shock absorbers and sets the dog up for injuries. Second photo shows correct angulation.

Barb Gibson
    with
    CH Rosewood Little Giant UDX VER RA MHU SH MXP MJP XFP T2BP DJ VCX WCX CCA CGC FFX-OG
    also UCH HR UUD UJJ URO1 UHIT
    (golden retriever) born 3-10-07
    a.k.a. "Tito", "The Tito Monster"
    www.GoTeamTito.com

This is my pups Dad, Bo Bearpoint Pal. He is not titled, but has a championship bloodline. Now he is one of those controversial "pointing labs" which might explain the stance.