The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ruff Tough Kennels

You may have come across them in your search, but I would not recommend purchasing any of the kennels from Zinger. The claims made on their website are bogus! The kennel cannot contain an escape artist at all. I am surprised so many people have had good experiences with the kennel and/or the company! My experience with both have been beyond horrible. I have had the kennel for less than a year to crate my 9yr old Husky Shepherd while I am away and have had to get the locks replaced 3 times, purchase a heavy duty tow chain to keep the door closed, replace the entire front end/door frame, and now have a broken door. The product is under a one year warranty and with all these positive claims you would think the company would stand behind their product - DEAD WRONG! Zinger Winger is unwilling to accept liability and replace the door.

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Spears View Post
    Has anyone experienced problems with the older door latches? I have the wire doors, not the newer plastic ones. My female will paw at the door when she thinks its her turn to come out. She has twice hit the latch with her paw *just right,* popping the cover off of the latch mechanism. Without the cover, the latch literally fell apart and the door opened. I fixed it with a black zip tie around the outside of the plastic cover. Just something to be aware of, or maybe I'm the only one. LOL
    My original wire door did not hold up, but my dog does not try to escape so it is not a big deal. I recently replaced it with the new molded plastic door, and I have mixed feelings about it. I used to hang a flat sided water bucket on the door using a snap (like from a leash), but the bars are very think and so the snap is too small to go around the bars. I have not found a satisfactory alternative.
    Renee P

there is someone selling a large one on RTF. Check out the "Gear/Equipment" page
    Bobby Baldwin
    Troy Creek Chesapeakes
    www.troycreekchesapeakes.com
    Fredericksburg, VA

I got one because I was short sighted enough to buy only a two hole box box for my truck. When dog #3 came along, rather than trading boxes, I just got an intermediate RTK. Fits nicely in the back seat of our truck. It is a bit tight for my boys, from 70 to 75#. But it really is perfect for traveling as I feel like they are safer in the smaller space. No one "lives" in it. I too replaced the door with the new molded plastic. Much better.
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

Quote Originally Posted by mitty View Post
    Cindy, I have the large, you can check it out on Saturday.

Edit: I've seen them at Cabelas. Probably they would let you bring your dog in and try the intermediate out, if they still have it on display.

Thanks Renee. I really like the kennel, just not sure about what size to get for my dog. Cabelas won't let you bring your dog into the store unless it is a service dog. Maybe I can throw Digit in yours to see how she fits. She's big (70 lbs) long & tall.

Thank you everyone for your responses, they are greatly appreciated.

Cindy
    Cindy Galster

Home schooled and greatly loved!

OTCH Candi-Dan's Raven UDX OM3 RE SH (Raven)
    White Oaks Running The Numbers UD MH QA2 (Digit)
    Aire-E-Gator UD (Gator) Airedale

Quote Originally Posted by CindyGal View Post
    Thanks Renee. I really like the kennel, just not sure about what size to get for my dog. Cabelas won't let you bring your dog into the store unless it is a service dog. Maybe I can throw Digit in yours to see how she fits. She's big (70 lbs) long & tall.

Thank you everyone for your responses, they are greatly appreciated.

Cindy
    Yes, you can try Digit out in mine.

Cabelas used to have some indoor kennels that they'd let you stash your dog in while you shopped, they were behind the service desk by the front doors. I stashed Anna in there once, and brought her some neoprene vests to try on as I didn't know what size she needed. The store was very accommodating.
    Renee P

I know this is an older thread, but what sizes do you guys use for the ruff tuff...I need to fit three crates in a short bed Silverado and the medium wire crates are just to small for 60-65 lb labs. Looking at getting two intermediate ones and keeping the one large pet Porter I have already... Thanks in advance

Kyle

I have 3 of the intermediates in my Silverado and my girls are ok in there, two of them are right at 60 and one is 45.

I just got two mediums. It is a bit tight for my 70 lb female but she doesn't live in it. Most of the time just goes to the field and back. I went with the medium rather than large because I can stack two in the back seat of my quad cab Silverado and still have room for a passenger. We have a camper that we put on our truck for road trips so the bed of the truck isn't always an option. When we travel we stop every two hours so they get to stretch.

I just got the intermediate, but my CLM is only 14 wks. Seems the price of ruff tuff's just went up a little.