interesting 'advertising' - buyer beware?
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: interesting 'advertising' - buyer beware?

Default interesting 'advertising' - buyer beware?

Won't name the two websites. But I was doing some 'looking' for potential next pup and found two websites with two different bitches (and pedigrees) - but they both had the same photos on each of the dogs' pages.

I didn't see anything regarding copyright (didn't look, either)... has anyone ever seen this before? It is nuts to me - either one is stealing the other's photo (which is what I think is happening) or both are using stock photos to misrepresent the dog they are trying to sell pups out of.

Seems absurd and stupid... both live in the same state, too. LOL

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Senior Member Mike Peters-labguy23's Avatar

I have had a couple pictures of my dogs show up on others sites and one that was used for a hunting guide without my permission. I guess my wife takes too nice of pictures!
    Mike Peters

I had a Trainer post a photo of my Oldest Male on his page advertising training sales saying he trained him blah blah blah......PM sent to him informing him that's my dog.....I screen shot the original post on my Facebook that showed the date like a year ago...He was super sorry said the Client had sent him the photos of that dog and he didn't know. He as cool about it and took those photos off...Still don't know why one would do that ....

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

My son is a professional photographer. People are always stealing his photos and using them on their web sites for advertising without paying him. He is constantly after somebody to take pictures down or pay up.
    Mark Ottis

Have had ads copied pretty much word for word. Know of one "new" breeder who virtually copied the text and photos of someone else's website, until owner of the original finally forced them to change it. Ridiculous the crap people pull then thump their chests later how great they are, use social media to market, when they've been breeding for less than a handful of years and got their start by screwing others and making a profit without putting in the time and research and work themselves. Many have never even set foot at the line to know WTH they are even being an expert on.

Facebook: home of the new "newspaper" breeders who have taken it to a whole new level.
    Kim Pfister, Rainmaker Labs

What's the actual "law" on using another's photo that isn't copyrighted?
    Tom Dorroh
    Boston, GA

It might be legal to use the uncopyrighted l photo but if it is not the dog or bitch being bred. If not illegal certainly not ethical. I would have great doubt of the reliability and truthfulness of most anything I could not verify from that breeder.

Relax wait until you have parts of professional books(copyrighted )lifted in other books or how about HT/FT copyrighted articles changed by 10% and printed under another byline/authors. You spend a month drawing an antique/classic/street rod copyrighted coloring book, sold in Barnes & Noble have someone lift the arwtork, print T-shirts. Hoodies , etc and run into people walking around with them at the biggest car show in the world @ Hershey , PA. I had put a very small "C" and my initiaIs hidden in the art. I was smarter by that time. I had a PA attorney friend and we walked over to his establishment and it was resolved w/$ and cease and desist. Welcome to the wild west, yours is hers and hers is his.
    Last edited by swliszka; 02-26-2017 at 03:59 PM.

A photographer has a copyright to any image simply by making the image. No image may be used without the photog's permission. This applies even if the image is not marked as copyrighted. So little Johnnie who takes a pic with Mom's smartphone owns the copyright to the image regardless. Enforcing a copyright is the key, as Mark's son knows. In other words you cannot use an image publicly unless the owner of the image (and for that matter any identifiable inviduals contained in the image) have given their (written) consent. In theory, the publisher should ensure that any images used have the requisite releases before using. Most reputable publishers of websites or printed matter are good about this, in part because it could get very expensive to not follow the law. Incidental uses as described above are much harder to police as are much more prevalent, mainly through ignorance of the law or in some cases outright defiance.

If you notice one of your images being used w/o permission contact the owner of the domain. If that is not successful contact the ISP hosting the website. Almost always, the ISP will take the site down until the offending image is removed rather than risk a copyright infringement suit.

Many modern cameras allow you to embed copyright info into the metadata recorded along with the image. Such data includes the exposure data, the date and time, camera specs and can include the GPS co-ordinates if the camera is so equipped. Although this data is often lost once the image has been processed, it can be used to prove copyright.

Images placed in the public domain still cannot be used without the express written consent of the photographer or the owner of the image. Again simple in theory but hard to police especially on the internet.
    HRCH Wind River's Frisky Whisky SH WCX - Thanx for the memories my friend
    HRCH UH Red Devil's Risky Rascal WCX
    HR Red Devil's Wild Wind River
    SHR Red Devil's Ready Freddie
    SHR Red Devil's Lambeau Leap
    SHR YRP Grand Chien's Chase the Sunset

Quote Originally Posted by red devil View Post
    A photographer has a copyright to any image simply by making the image. No image may be used without the photog's permission. This applies even if the image is not marked as copyrighted.

...Almost always, the ISP will take the site down until the offending image is removed rather than risk a copyright infringement suit.
    I want to clarify something here. The owner of a copyright may not sue for damages unless the the copyright is registered. The copyright still exists and the owner may request that the item no longer be used. However, monetary protection only exists for registered works.
    Eric

WRC HR Lennoxlove's Run with Wolves JH, WCX ("Cheyenne") ... still so fondly remembered
    HRCh Struan's Devil's in De Tails SH, WCX ("Lucy") ... as is her daughter
    SR CH Struan's Flight of Fancy JH ("Muse")
    Struan's Master of the Hunt JH, WC ("Charlie")
    Struan's Just Plain Perfect ("Jane")
    CH Struan's Driving Us Crazy ("Daisy") ... the baby in charge
    Dixie ... the "spare parts" dog