I must be a has been!
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I must be a has been!

Default I must be a has been!

I have taken a 3 yr break from trials to spend more time with my kids but I thought I would tell you about my past weekend. I was placed on the TN wildlife commission by the govenor in 2015 we meet 10 times a year, this past Thursday and Friday we had meetings in Nashville. TWRA gave all the commissioners passes to National Wild Turkey show going on at Opry Land Convention center. It was a great show with hundreds of vendors if you haven't been put this show on your list. Everything hunting you can think about outfitters from Africa, Alaska, New Zealand to deer and elk hunts all over the lower 48. Wingshooting to Alligator hunts they were all there. So as I'm walking down a aisle I see a large booth with 4 adult labs and a cage of puppies they are selling with videos of dogs hunting and such it catches my eye. I have my badge on with my name on it and I ask one of the guys a couple questions and I get they are located in Oxford MS and train gun dogs. He goes on to tell me that their line of dogs are the calm labs that also make great house dogs and family pets, etc. He says they are out of FT stock and I am curious to what the breedings are and he then has to refer me to another guy and I get a deer in the headlight look. I ask him if he knows about coolwater kennels and Alex since they are real close to Oxford and he said he hasn't heard of them. I told him I had ran a few trials and had been around labs for a long time and he still didn't have any idea but wanted to sale me one of those puppies! Needless to say I kept on walking but it goes to show you a little tv time and a marketing plan must work because his booth was full of interested people!
    LUCK - WHEN PREPARATION MEETS REALITY!
    NAFC FC Cody Cut A Lean Grade "Grady" NAFC Paddle Creek's Pack Your Grip "Traveler"
    www.paddlecreekretrievers.com

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

So,no pedigree on em huh.Lot's of folks out there that don't know any better.Fortunate for you,you weren't one of em.
    Last edited by hockgreg; 02-22-2017 at 08:48 AM. Reason: comma

Chad, "Oxford, Mississippi" (almost rhymes with "mendacity") is your Rosetta stone for having found out that you're a FT "unknown" far from the huckstering crowd. Though I guess you can take some consolation in the fact that they did try to shill, er, sell you a puppy rather than branding you a "gentleman's washout"(TM pending)...

MG

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Better communicate with WB Connor (Cannuck) about the RHF disbanding the "Old Timers Selection Committee." Better still, talk to people who do not know "you" are standing in front of them and they are talking about "you or your dog." Ignorance is alive and well.

Far from a Has Been....

Kind a interesting they haven't heard of Alex or her place being so close..

there are a couple of fairly well known British lab kennels there. That's all I will say.

Were they silver?
    Good Dog Ranch
    Bob Swift

Hey Chad,

If you would have walked to that same table 6 years ago, with Grady and/or Trav on lead. They'd have had no idea who you or your dogs were!

It's got nothing to do with being a "has been".

It kind of makes you wonder how much of an "expert" the other folks manning booths might be in their fields!
    "A smile relieves a heart that grieves"

- Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Atkinson View Post
    ...Kind of makes you wonder how much of an "expert" the other folks manning booths might be in their fields!
    According to the British BBB theory - that's not the Better Bidness Bureau but the Brits' mantra of "Bullsh*t Baffles Brains" - their "field" is peddling ordure shined up real nice like.

Now we know that pretty much for fact. But I want to reconsider my harsh reply to the "bafflers" on Chad's behalf. Especially when there's the distinct possibility that Chad's not not recognized for his field trial accomplishments, just better recognized these days as the "Bob the Builder of the Battle of Bristol." Yes, Chad, those 160K fannies you not-quite-singlehandedly but played a huge hand in putting into the stands for the biggest college football game of all time, attendance-wise, endorse this recognition.

MG

I think you are referring to sporting life kennels. They are based out of oxford. Do you know who you spoke with? Marty Roberts owns that kennel and is a stand up guy. It is a british lab kennel so the FT stock that whoever you talked to is referring to is UK FT stock.