The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Michael Ellis - New DVD

Default Michael Ellis - New DVD

I just completed a 2 day course at the Michael Ellis School for Dog Trainers in California. Michael is a truly gifted trainer who teaches reward based motivational training for all dogs of all disciplines, including protection sports (his sport of choice.) I have a 4 year old, black lab who was trained utilizing Michael's training techniques; he is highly motivated and mutil-talented in dog sports (agility, dock diving, nosework, field training and bite work).

Michael recently acquired two black lab pups who he will be rearing to complete a field training DVD utilizing motivational reward based training demonstrating all the standard field drills. From what I understand there will be no traditional pressure based force fetch methods - purely motivational reward based training. It will include force to water, force to pile, etc... Before anyone begins the discussion that field training cannot be reliable without pressure, please be aware that Michael is a 4 quadrant trainer and does utilize adverse methods. However, his foundation work is reward based and this is where he will begin the DVD.

I am incredibly excited to see Michael's evolution into field training. The retriever world will be a better place with his teaching techniques.

For those who are unfamiliar with Michael Ellis here is a link to his training philosophy.

http://michaelellisschool.com/lecture.htm

Tanya and Enzo
    San Jose, California

That will be very exciting to see!! I think he is an amazing trainer!!

Kathryn
    Never say never . . . never say always . . . know when to say when.

I've seen some of his stuff and he is very good.
    I'm curious about the new dvd.
    Redstars Hayseed Bo ..... "Butch"

Very interesting. I love Ellis' stuff. One of the best out there IMO. A really good communicator with dogs and people and seems to really understand how to train a dog using all 4 quadrants. Interested to see how his retriever experiment goes.

I am curious too, I have a pile of his DVD's and they are all good. One of my puppy buyers also attended a seminar with him recently (maybe the same one as you Tanya) and was telling me about his new Lab puppy project. I assume that he has worked with some field trainers to learn the 'traditional' process and see what the finished product looks like and will be adapting from that?
    Erin Lynes
    Eromit Labrador Retrievers

Home of:
    Twig AGDC, Ruger JH ADC SGDC MGDC MSDC MSCDC CRNCL, Winchester SGDC CRNCL, Shelby SGDC CRNCL, Spider, Kimber, Verona, Missie, Jackie,
    Victor CRNCL, Jet, Glitzy CRNMCL SGDC, Harvey & Viper
    ..........gone but never forgotten, the gal who started it all: Spider's Sunshine MSDC MSCDC AADC AGDC NAC NGC NJC (Nestle) ...........

Quote Originally Posted by Erin Lynes View Post
    I am curious too, I have a pile of his DVD's and they are all good. One of my puppy buyers also attended a seminar with him recently (maybe the same one as you Tanya) and was telling me about his new Lab puppy project. I assume that he has worked with some field trainers to learn the 'traditional' process and see what the finished product looks like and will be adapting from that?
    Good point. It think it would be very tough for even the best trainer to go in and train a MH or above without a bit of an apprenticeship (perhaps a long one), learning what is expected of the dog and how folks have traditionally gotten there. I don't know Michael personally but after seeing a bunch of his DVDs I think if anyone can do it, he could.

Interested to find out more...

Quote Originally Posted by Erin Lynes View Post
    Erin, I assume she took the puppy development class last month; which isn't the same one I took this week. He mentioned doing extensive research on the retriever training process, pedigrees/lineage, accomplishments, etc... and will be developing the DVD based upon traditional drills but applying his current motivational methods to accomplish the same results. Knowing Michael, he just won't take to the field and begin working retrievers, he will do his homework and study behavioral fallout from traditional methods and find a way to apply operant conditioning to achieve the desired result. Like someone else said, if there is anyone who could do reward based retriever training it's definitely Michael Ellis. The things he's accomplished for protection sport world is unparalleled when you see is dogs work.

That is neat to hear, thanks for letting us know! Did he say how long this will take? If he has puppies and has to do research, are we looking at 3 yrs down the road? Even if so, It will be welcome!

Are you saying Ellis is going to try to demonstrate all of the drills using only two quadrants?

With the right dog that isn't exactly rocket science.

He'll produce a nice DVD though. He is one of the best public speakers and presenters of training theory I have ever seen (and I study something every single day).
    Darrin Greene

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer Henion View Post
    That is neat to hear, thanks for letting us know! Did he say how long this will take? If he has puppies and has to do research, are we looking at 3 yrs down the road? Even if so, It will be welcome!
    I said...so it won't be another year until it's done!??! and he said, no, he and his assistant trainer Lindsay each will raise a pup and incorporate them into the DVD as they grow up. So it should be less than a year. He's already done his background research. From what he said, they're ready to start filming soon. As I know more I will post (I'm hoping to be kept in some kind of loop to know what's going on. At the very least I will send him periodic emails to (hopefully) get an update.)