The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Michael Ellis - New DVD

Quote Originally Posted by DarrinGreene View Post
    Are you saying Ellis is going to try to demonstrate all of the drills using only two quadrants?

With the right dog that isn't exactly rocket science.

He'll produce a nice DVD though. He is one of the best public speakers and presenters of training theory I have ever seen (and I study something every single day).
    Yes, but keep in mind it's only the foundation training which he will gear towards field work. Once the dog knows the command, Michael is not opposed to using correction. How far he takes the training into the field will depend on the DVD's success I'm sure. You can bet I'll keep the bug in his ear

Quote Originally Posted by Enzos Mom View Post
    Yes, but keep in mind it's only the foundation training which he will gear towards field work. Once the dog knows the command, Michael is not opposed to using correction. How far he takes the training into the field will depend on the DVD's success I'm sure. You can bet I'll keep the bug in his ear
    I'm very familiar with his work, at least as much as one can be without having attended the school. Thanks for the heads up.
    Darrin Greene

...keep in mind it's only the foundation training which he will gear towards field work. Once the dog knows the command, Michael is not opposed to using correction. How far he takes the training into the field will depend on the DVD's success I'm sure...
    Interesting to follow, as Mr. Ellis not long ago told a friend who inquired about e-collar use with schutzhund, if I may paraphrase, to "follow the retriever trainers, they're light years ahead of everybody else at how they use the collar." So how far he takes his training into the field might depend on something other than DVD sales...

MG

don't count Ellis out because anything to do with the collar. check out his DVD's on the topic and you'll see pretty quickly that he absolutely gets the concepts...
    Darrin Greene

Quote Originally Posted by crackerd View Post
    Interesting to follow, as Mr. Ellis not long ago told a friend who inquired about e-collar use with schutzhund, if I may paraphrase, to "follow the retriever trainers, they're light years ahead of everybody else at how they use the collar." So how far he takes his training into the field might depend on something other than DVD sales...

MG
    When "teaching" concepts, there are some of us who don't want to pressure our dogs into compliance but rather use motivational rewards. There is definitely a time and a place for the ecollar.

I'm inclined to think that the paraphrase is taken out of context. Yes, field training has successfully used the collar to incorporate training better than the way most people first used the concept of the ecollar; however, I believe ME is now using a much more effective way of ecollar training with much less fallout if any.

I'm inclined to think that the paraphrase is taken out of context. Yes, field training has successfully used the collar to incorporate training better than the way most people first used the concept of the ecollar; however, I believe ME is now using a much more effective way of ecollar training with much less fallout if any.

I don't know. There are some pretty brilliant retriever trainers out there, and I doubt that Michael Ellis would challenge that.
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

When "teaching" concepts, there are some of us who don't want to pressure our dogs into compliance but rather use motivational rewards. There is definitely a time and a place for the ecollar.

Good for you....The more you understand the tools we use...The better trainer you will be with your dog.

I would like to believe ME is you.

Your lack of understanding of how retriever trainers really do their work is the problem with your perception.
    Darrin Greene

Quote Originally Posted by DarrinGreene View Post
    Your lack of understanding of how retriever trainers really do their work is the problem with your perception.
    My 'lack of understanding' ... that's a huge assumption on your part.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    I don't know. There are some pretty brilliant retriever trainers out there, and I doubt that Michael Ellis would challenge that.
    No doubt. Everyone can choose to use the tools in the manner that works for them. There is more than one way to skin a cat.