Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Puppy stifle stiffness?

Default Puppy stifle stiffness?

Anyone have any ideas on the following;

Puppy is about 10 weeks old
    appears to be totally normal, active,kinda crazy, fun little puppy
    No other signs of lameness or pain

However when I was at the vet my vet noticed she appears "off" his exact words were she "walks like a classic cowboy and seems stiff and thick in the stifle, especially for a puppy her age".
    He doesn't think at this point it's the hips, he thinks it's her stifle.

Upon watching her the last three days I can see what he means. She seems to wing her back legs out as if to avoid bending the stifle. She appears bow legged in a way I guess.

His recommendation was it could be something, or it could be just an odd period of growth for her and she just hasn't figured herself out yet. He wants to give her three weeks, until her next shot appointment, and if she stays the same he wants to X-Ray her.

I love my vet. He's my dog, horse, and the local cow vet
    However, he's no expert on retrievers, and he's not out of vet school that long.

I just wanted to kick this around here and see if anyone has anything to offer. I'm hoping she does just grow out of it, however if anyone has an suggestions to bring up with my vet we would both be all ears Im Sure!

I have a video if you all need it. I don't know if it shows too much.
    To be honest, I noticed she runs with her back legs moving together, but until he brought it up I never saw anything. I don't look at dogs and puppies all day and I'm pretty smitten with her but I'm still kicking myself a bit.

Marissa Everett

Hebrews 12:11 No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it.

Finally got my video going...

Marissa Everett

Hebrews 12:11 No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it.

No expert but pup looks ok in that clip. If she's bunny hopping or doing something else obviously odd I would try to get video of that.
    Then you can email videos to Dr Sherman Canapp at VOSM outside Baltimore to see if a look in person is needed.
    He's a very good ortho guy and not that far away.
    PS
    If that's your puppy room I'd get the plastic out of there.
    "Darla" AFC Candlewoods Lil Smokin Tequila (2002-2013)(fondly remembered)
    "Smoke" Smokin Auggies Menace, QAA (2003- )(retired nut case, ask Rando)
    "Simba" Humewood Simba (1999-2014)(my 1st dog)

Per favore, non mi rompere i coglioni.
    Grazie

Quote Originally Posted by Breck View Post
    No expert but pup looks ok in that clip. If she's bunny hopping or doing something else obviously odd I would try to get video of that.
    Then you can email videos to Dr Sherman Canapp at VOSM outside Baltimore to see if a look in person is needed.
    He's a very good ortho guy and not that far away.
    PS
    If that's your puppy room I'd get the plastic out of there.
    Thanks.
    I guess I'll just have to wait and see... I hope it's nothing.
    It's so hard to get videos or a good look at her, she's not really that consistent in the way she moves lol
    Thanks for the name though, I'll keep him in mind if anything comes up!

Oh, no worries.. That's not a puppy room. It's actually my kitchen which is under going construction. But it had the best lighting for the video.

Marissa Everett

I would rather see her move outside on a non slippery surface
    BB
    Sight To Sea Labradors
    Southern Cross at Sight to Sea SH "Crosby" (by NAFC FC AFC Cody Cut a Lean Grade)
    Tealwood's Willing at Sight to Sea JH ( by CH I am Able)
    Briarglen's Running on Faith JH (by FC Fish River's Out of the Park)
    Glendair's Come Home to the Sea ( By Ch Topform's Edward MH, QAA)
    Sight To Sea's Take Aim SH (by Sight to Sea's Southern Comfort SH )Aug 23 2003-Feb 2013 Go get em , Man!

Manager of www.DeCoverlykennels.com

I saw what your talking about, Marissa. It almost looks like the pups back legs aren't bending a lot and the hips swing is what's propelling it forward. I don't know if that is the correct way to word it, but it's the best I've got at the moment.

I wouldn't be too concerned with it right now. Pup may be getting used to being on a slick surfaced as mentioned. Pup seems to be moving pretty well and it's not something that was blatantly obvious to me. I had to watch it a few times to pick it up. Plus, when the pup needed to go through the high chair, it did well bending its legs. Maybe she just has a bow legged walk?
    Trent

HR Goree's Flight School Drop Out SH "Maverick" 11/20/04---2/6/14
    Roux's Classy Lil' Bayou Princess "Sadee"
    Lean Grade of Dignified Troubles "Gracee"

No idea if these are any better... but I tried. You can have someone call her to them because shes just runs mach 5 and if you walk her on the leash shes so busy bouncing around you cant see anything.

Marissa Everett

heres the other one.

Marissa Everett

Today I kept trying to follow her around... however I realize now a video from the side would have probably been better

Marissa Everett

I would not worry too much at this age, but definitely keep an eye
    BB
    Sight To Sea Labradors
    Southern Cross at Sight to Sea SH "Crosby" (by NAFC FC AFC Cody Cut a Lean Grade)
    Tealwood's Willing at Sight to Sea JH ( by CH I am Able)
    Briarglen's Running on Faith JH (by FC Fish River's Out of the Park)
    Glendair's Come Home to the Sea ( By Ch Topform's Edward MH, QAA)
    Sight To Sea's Take Aim SH (by Sight to Sea's Southern Comfort SH )Aug 23 2003-Feb 2013 Go get em , Man!

Manager of www.DeCoverlykennels.com