The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Knee surgery GDG

Default Knee surgery GDG

Getting surgery to clean the torn meniscus up tommorrow.Anyone had this done? Doc says I`ll be down for a few days.How did yours go???? Jim
    Jim Weitzel
    Proud member of Ole Roy prostaff

torn meniscus is routine as long as you're not an NBA point guard....do the rehab work immediately, you may not have the ability to cut on a dime, but if you had any low post game you should be ok, we all know you guys from Ohio cant jump anyway

Ice packs are your friend, no more than 20 minutes at a time..if you run into any problems give Clint a call, he made a living on those the first ten years of his practice
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

I had mine done in 2004 (I was 44), no issues. Did not really have any pain, there was a little swelling and stiffness for a few days. I took it easy for about a week per doctors orders and then just back to normal. Find a good Doctor one that does a lot of these types of surgeries, like all of us they get better with practice.

I did not have much cartilage left and what was there was thin and rough, so now 10 year later I'm starting to have some of the same issues, stiffness, grinding, popping, and the occasional catch. My Dr. tells me the don't like going back in and cleaning things up like they use to, they find that it really doesn't help in the long run.

Good luck

John

The meniscus isn't too bad. With proper care for the first week or two, you should be fine in a couple weeks. My Dad just had this "Oxford" knee replacement done about 3 weeks ago. It's a partial knee replacement. Pretty neat procedure. Very non-invasive when compared to the total knee replacement. He was pretty sore for about a week, but only used his walker for two days. No crutches, cane's, etc. He's getting the other one done the week after Easter.

http://www.drlikover.com/oxford-part...placement.html
    Trent

HR Goree's Flight School Drop Out SH "Maverick" 11/20/04---2/6/14
    Roux's Classy Lil' Bayou Princess "Sadee"
    Lean Grade of Dignified Troubles "Gracee"

Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    torn kmeniscus is routine as long as you're not an NBA point guard....do the rehab work immediately, you may not have the ability to cut on a dime, but if you had any low post game you should be ok, we all know you guys from Ohio cant jump anyway

Ice packs are your friend, no more than 20 minutes at a time..if you run into any problems give Clint a call, he made a living on those the first ten years of his practice
    Haa..Bon,dad being head fb coach.I grew up playing both fb an bb.The years have taken its toll.Doc says no replacement just severely torn meniscus that he can clean up.still have a few weeks of guiding here and have to be walking by 3/15 is my goal.thanks for all the replies.Jim
    Jim Weitzel

Had mine done through a scope years ago. It is great. Several years later they flushed it out. Still going! My age getting to me! Get up and move it after surgery and you will be fine.Good luck.
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83047
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83051

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

A little less "butt-kicking" in the future may be needed!!
    NRA LIFE MEMBER

Equal Opportunity Bigot

Quote Originally Posted by Mary Lynn Metras View Post
    Had mine done through a scope years ago. It is great. Several years later they flushed it out. Still going! My age getting to me! Get up and move it after surgery and you will be fine.Good luck.
    That's my plan....but you canucks are a little tougher....haaaaa
    Jim Weitzel

Quote Originally Posted by dorkweed View Post
    A little less "butt-kicking" in the future may be needed!!
    Very true.....my kids are gonna have fun with this one.
    Jim Weitzel

Had my right knee scoped twice. Do not try and overdo it. Do what the doc says. Now the only thing that will help my right knee is a total replacement. I just hurt my left knee during Christmas and just had an MRI last Friday and will find if surgery is gonna be done.