The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thanks for all of the kind thoughts about Mootsie

Default Thanks for all of the kind thoughts about Mootsie

I had a hard time sleeping last night thinking about Mootsie. In part because of my grief. In larger part because of all of the great memories of Mootsie that were flooding over me.

This morning, as I was going on my morning walk, obedience, and marking session with Dicca, who is about to turn six months, I had some time to reflect on the cycle of life.

First, isn't it a pity that it takes the loss of a loved one for us to reflect on what is meaningful in life? We get swept up in work, debates about entry limits - you name it. Our day to day concerns take us away from those things that bring a smile to our faces. Like watching Dicca tear across the field for her hand thrown marks, fully pleased with herself. I need to take more joy in those simple pleasures every day.

Second, isn't it great how friends and strangers reach out to you? All day long I have been fielding phone calls, texts, emails, and PM's from friends. And the out pouring of support on RTF has been great. All of us recognize how fleeting our dogs' lives are, how important they are to our lives, and the sadness that comes with their passing. And so we reach out to people we have never met in person. Both friends and strangers, I thank you all. Kindness is a great salve.

Third
    , as I sit at my desk looking at Molly's photos of Mootsie from the 2011 National Amateur in Klamath Falls, I think about some of the great memories I have of Mootsie:

Some National memories
    - At the 2003 National Am, in which Zowie was a finalist, Cherylon working between series on Mootsie's water forcing. That was Cherylon, never resting, always working to get her dogs better.
    - At the 2010 National Am, Mootsie and I in the holding blind, the best seat in the house, watching Pete Hayes and Buster, smoke the 9th series on the way to their win.
    - At the side of the road at the 2011 National Am, when I rolled my truck, opened the crate door to see Mootsie staring at me with a "what the hell was that look" on her face
    - Driving with Pete and Buster, who rescued Mootsie, me, and my puppy to the rental car agency. Pete amazed I was unhurt, me laughing about my good fortune.

Traveling memories
    - Checking into the La Quinta in Casper, and getting a room with two queen beds. Putting Mootsie on one bed (she was too restless to sleep with), getting in the other, and waking in the middle of the night with Mootsie pushing me out of my bed.
    - Having to pet Mootsie at night (I put an inflatable bed on the floor) until she was willing to go to sleep
    - Driving down the road with Mootsie standing on the console, so she could be close to me

Training memories
    - Mootsie stealing sandwiches, cookies, and crackers from unsuspecting victims. If someone new came to train with us, and we forgot to warn them, Mootsie would be in their cars or chairs in an instant - and they would be without lunch.
    - When I wasn't training, everyone in the group got to drive Mootsie - Ed, Lainee, whomever. Hell, even Mike Baker got to run her. Mootsie could make a bad handler look good, and a good handler look great. She was that good on the line.
    - Mootsie hunting bumpers with disdain. She really hated bumpers on marks. But because she was so good on short birds, we threw her bumpers instead of birds to make her work for her keep. She would find the bumpers, and make a circle or two before she would deign to return with one.

Her Bark

Mootsie had a very distinctive, irritating and piercing bark. I can remember walking 200 yards from the truck to the line in the Open, listening to her bark, hearing the judge say "what the hell is that?", and looking for a rock to crawl underneath.

I'm certain more memories of Mootsie will pop up, and I'll smile when they do.

Mootsie really was special. Not because of what she did in competition, but because of who she was.

Thanks again for all the kind thoughts.

I know each of you have your own Mootsie - a special dog with a special place in your heart.

What a wonderful thing for each of us to cherish

Ted

Competition does not build character - It reveals it.

Home of:
    FC/AFC Freeridin Wowie Zowie (2003 NARC Finalist)
    FC/AFC Sky Hy Husker Power
    FC/AFC Freeridin Smooth Operator
    FC/AFC Freeridin Vampire Slayer (2007 NARC Finalist)
    AFC Freeridin Maserati (Double Header Winner)

www.freeridinretrievers.com

Ted, so sorry about Mootsie. My condolences. I think you were very lucky to have her.
    Philip Carson
    Philip Carson
    Lenexa, Kansas

What a great tribute, Ted! To a special dog, to the good things in life and to individuality. Cheers!

Again Ted what a great tribute and memories. Take care!
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

Ted,lots of great memories you had.Those will always be with you.I would be lying if I said tears were not shed.The whole process of bringing up a pup and the day to day training taking a dog to the level she was at makes the pain worse.I would venture to say she was a very lucky dog to have you as an owner. Jim
    Jim Weitzel
    Proud member of Ole Roy prostaff

You made me cry....Godspeed Mootsie....so sorry Ted...
    Sue Puffenbarger
    Wirtz, VA
    www.boynelabradors.com

Ted, you are Mootsie were another one of the very rare teams were I honestly do not know if dog or owner was the lucky one.

You two, truly got the most out of each other.
    Jim Harvey

Very moving post. Sorry for your loss.
    Hebrews 11:3 By faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that the things which are seen were not made of things which are visible.

What if all we have today is what we gave thanks for yesterday?

Great tribute to a loyal companion….
    As you said in so many words, we need to somehow slow down and appreciate what we have and try not to take it for granted, because Time continues and it is indefinite, but not to us and the dogs we care for…….

Thank you for sharing more of Mootsie and your memories....... We indeed all have our own special dogs - each and every one of them. They worm their way into our hearts in so many different ways and give so much joy. Thank you again for sharing and sorry for your loss.