The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Syria: Did you notice this?

Default Syria: Did you notice this?

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Peace/2...Check-on-Syria
    On Saturday, when he announced he was going to seek Congressional approval, Obama said he wanted "limited" targeted strikes to "degrade" Syria's ability to launch chemical weapons. The draft resolution he sent to Congress, however, allowed for a more open-ended engagement and didn't specifically rule out sending troops into Syria.

On Monday, Sens. John McCain and Lindsey Graham said their support of a military strike was conditioned on Obama broadening the mission to embrace "regime change" as a goal. They also urged Obama to arm the Syrian rebels with heavy weapons, a move opposed by 70% of Americans.

In his testimony on Tuesday, hours after Boehner and Cantor endorsed military action, John Kerry opened the door to the possibility of ground troops invading Syria. In subsequent questioning, he tried to minimize that possibility.

On Wednesday, the House Foreign Relations Committee will meet to discuss possible military action in Syria.
    Doesn't seem like the best military strategy to announce your intentions in advance.

Permission to put boots on the ground in Syria? Are they totally nuts? At the same time that Hagel is committed to reducing the size of the military?

Are we allowed to call this one Obama's war?
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

No! Paste and post are not rational arguments.

So, what you're saying is, there should be no discussion about it, right?
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

Quote Originally Posted by swliszka View Post
    No! Paste and post are not rational arguments.
    HAHA!! I agree with you Swliszka
    Welcome to Gerry's world.
    It's a world where POTUS paste and post positively predominate!!

I enjoy Gerry's posts, even if I don't always agree with them. In this case whether or not it is the best military strategy is completely irrelevant, because the discussion about striking is a thousand times more important.

Quote Originally Posted by mjh345 View Post
    HAHA!! I agree with you Swliszka
    Welcome to Gerry's world.
    It's a world where POTUS paste and post positively predominate!!
    Some complain when there are no links. Now you complain because there are links?

Why is it not appropriate to start with a quoted source, add an opinion, and see what others' opinions are? Three posts, and not one of them comments on the topic, itself.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Clinchy View Post
    Some complain when there are no links. Now you complain because there are links?

Why is it not appropriate to start with a quoted source, add an opinion, and see what others' opinions are? Three posts, and not one of them comments on the topic, itself.
    I have no problems with links, as long as they are links to provable facts. Your links are often times op-ed pieces that pontificate on subjects often times with a bias that isn't supported by facts. I call that spin and distortion.

Just give me the facts and I'm perfectly capable of forming my own opinion. I don't need to know or filter through what Rush or Maddow or Orielly or Mathews spin is on those facts.

I didn't comment on the "TOPIC ITSELF" because I'm obviosly way behind the times. But you have my permission to call it "Obamas War" if you so desire I'm ashamed to say that I wasn't aware we were at war in Syria. Got a link? {with some facts....such as the declaration of War?}

mjh345 Thank you for endorsement. Gerry Clinchy I know you are capable of reasoned , logical , factual information tracking you on the training section of this site,thus my confusion here. I like to be a gentleman to all and rational discourse but misleading polemics gets us nowhere as Americans. My boots were on the ground 1965-1974 in that part of the world courtesy of the US Government after inordinate training and preparation. Thus I will not pull a "I know more than you" argument but please hold me responsible if I stray or you others stray. I just retired and if this winter was not so harsh I would not be on this site because I "love" my dogs more than some of this nonsense.

We do know that there was a closed door meeting on Tuesday between Boehner and Obama. I have not seen anything about what was discussed in that meeting ... except Boehner said that the topic on which he and the POTUS might have some agreement is on immigration.

We also know that Congress, by their previous discussions of Syria that there is disagreement on whether there should be military action. Ironic, probably one of their few bipartisan issues! There were both Rs and Ds on both sides of the issue: 1) Let them sort it out themselves; 2) "Yippee Ki YAy", let 'em have it. I expect that such differing opinions can very well remain.

As I read the article, there will not be any "declaration of war" ... any more than there was such a declaration for some of the other significant military actions in recent history. I don't think that the action in A'stan had a formal declaration of war (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong). In this case, the article indicates that Obama may include in his request of Congress to put boots on the ground ... at his discretion. When Obama was considering bringing this before Congress earlier, the term "declaration of war" was not mentioned. Rather it was portrayed as a request to use military action, sidestepping the use of the term "war". I imagine that many who have served in A'stan would probably call it war and skip the semantics angle.

Yes, some op-eds are meant to simply open a discussion. Op-eds from either side, right or left, always carry "selective" facts. I'm open to listening to the different perspectives ... well, except for those that try to convince me that Hillary tolerated Willie's womanizing escapades for any reason other than the pursuit of a ticket to the Oval Office for herself. I admit that my perspective on Hillary is very visceral.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Clinchy; In this case, the article indicates that Obama may include in his request of Congress to put boots on the ground ... at [U
    his[/U] discretion. When Obama was considering bringing this before Congress earlier, the term "declaration of war" was not mentioned. Rather it was portrayed as a request to use military action, sidestepping the use of the term "war". I imagine that many who have served in A'stan would probably call it war and skip the semantics angle.

Gerry, so you mean to tell me that we are not at war {military action or whatever semantics you want to use} in Syria?

As to semantics it was you that first used the word "war" as in "Obama's War". Bit premature to be worrying about what label to apply to an as yet non existent thing, wouldn't you think? Unless of course you have fallen under the spell of the agenda's some of the spin doctors who pass them selves off as reporters or newsmen