The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

View Poll Results: What dog game do you play?

Voters
219. You may not vote on this poll
  • AKC FT

99 45.21%
  • AKC HT

115 52.51%
  • HRC

81 36.99%
  • NAHRA

24 10.96%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Which dog game and why?

I have a FT dog and a HT dog which was my first retriever.
    __________________________________________________ _____________

Brownstone's Harley- "Harley" 7/29/2009 (By CH Woodhull's Roger That)
    Maple Hill's Ella Enchanted- "Ella" 8/30/2011 (By FC AFC Land Ahoy)

I started like most, wanting a hunting dog. I had been around HRC tests through some buddies so my first inclination was to do HRC, go myself a pup with the intentions of running HRC. After watching and running my first FT last spring, that will be my preferred venue, not that I won't run HRC or AKC HT but I prefer the idea of placements rather than 2 dogs doing unequal work and getting an equal accolade. I don't like the concept of dog A stepping on all the marks, lining or 1 whistling the blinds and that dog gets the same ribbon as dog B who handled to a mark, looked sloppy on a couple others and barely picked up the bilnd but did enough to pass. Why do I do them at atll? At first to have a great hunting dog, now because I enjoy going out and training and working with the dog and learning about it, and I enjoy the competetion side of it, with work and everything else I'm limited to weekends only hunting for the most part during a 3 month period when its worth getting out of bed to go hunting, training I can do 12 months out of the year, all I have to do is decide if the weather is too unpleasant or not.
    Last edited by Daren Galloway; 02-28-2014 at 08:23 AM.
    Daren Galloway

what dog game they play
    NAHRA!!!!!

and why?
    I am a Vermont duck hunter who is fond of history
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Started in NAHRA in the early 90's with my hunting dog. We have increased our goals over the years to be competitive in Field Trials and have spent a lot of time and money in the process. We still have not made the top tier of the field trial game, but have increased our efforts over the last year and hope to increase our achievements over the next couple of years. Placements in Field Trials are very rewarding. Getting another Master ribbon was losing its excitement.

Quote Originally Posted by The Snows View Post
    Dave .... you missed CKC HT's & FT's! Some of us RTF'rs are north of the border!
    Sorry Sue I guess with all the cold weather - I just thought we were part of Canada these days
    Castle Heights Gundogs

Mossy Oak Pro-Staff
    Sportdog Field Staff
    Drake Waterfowl Field Expert
    Buck Gardner Pro-Staff

Hunt Tests. Don't have the time or the money to compete in FT. And I deal with enough competitiveness in the search world that is my main focus so I see no need to deal with that in my hobbies.
    Kathleen

"Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you're not, in fact, just surrounded by a**holes" -William Gibson

First test I ever ran was a NAHRA, had a blast and my hunting dog loves doing them.

Always had my eye on FT, last year I was fortunate enough to get a pup that showed enough talent that I could attempt to play the FT game. To date I've ran 5 derbies with my pup and have enjoyed everyone one of them even though we're only jamming, at this point it's still the biggest rush I've expereinced running dogs. Can't wait to run her in the bigger stakes.

I'd still gladly run my hunting dog in the HRC, AKC and NARAH events when finances permit.
    How The West was Won ( Colt)
    Delilahs Addicted to Mischief ( Delilah) My Jammin little girl
    Extreme Dixies Rebel Yell ( Dixie ) JH
    Dawsons Little Sable (Sable) 12 /08 - 5/14 , We'll hunt again someday girl.

St. Thomas, the great doctor and theologian, warns about the proper use of animals, lest they appear at the final Judgment against us: and God himself will take vengeance on all who misuse his creatures.

AKC field trials. This is my first dog and we started by running AKC hunt test, then ran a derby. Been running and training for ft ever since. I love the competition aspect of trials and the difficulty.
    Tim

Currently running AKC and NAHRA hunt tests. Will be getting involved with HRC in the near future.
    The dog will always prove you wrong

"What dog game do you play?" Currently NAHRA Field Tests, CKC Hunt Tests & CKC Field Trials. I like lower entries where my enjoyment is higher. Harry
    "Sometimes we just gotta do what is right". Jerry 2006

See ya in the field. HPW http://www.sagaciouskennel.com/