The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: California South Coast RC

Default California South Coast RC

California is finally getting some rain. The day started with clouds and a few brighter breaks but at about 11:30 the deluge started. Heavy rain, high winds, thunder, and lightning. The wind was so strong it made the rain sting your face.

The Open began with a triple and a blind - pick up one mark, run the blind, then pick up the other two. The first bird down is on the right thrown left to right behind a mound and onto a road or near it. The second bird down is slightly longer thrown right to left from a mound to behind the left edge of the mound. The left gunner retires and the right one stays out, plainly visible. There is only a small area behind the right hand gunner and the right edge of the mound from which the left gunner throws and retires. The flyer is off to the left thrown left to right and landing in some cover. The blind runs just behind the right hand gunner and over the right tip of the mound where the left gunner retires. It continues on across the road where the right bird lands, across a ditch, and into heavy cover. It is hard to judge the distance of the blind once the dog gets into the cover. The blind is planted by the left hand gunner so there is a blind planter's trail developing to the left side of the blind. After the first 10 dogs, the test was averaging about 7.5 minutes per dog even though most were not completing it.

Most of the dogs are picking up either the right hand or left hand mark while attempting the blind. The wind is shifting so one or the other of the marks can be winded after the dog gets deep of the road. Among the first 15 or so dogs who all ran when the conditions were favorable, there were about 4 dogs to get past the blind and one of those had to handle on the left hand mark. Some dogs got across the road and the ditch and almost to the blind, but could not be handled to it before coming back in and grabbing a mark. I left before the rain started to go see the Derby so I can only imagine what the wind and rain are doing to the test. I'll head back over there later today to see how it's going.
    Judy

CFC-CAFC Heads Up Tracks in the Taiga MH, WC ***, Can. WCI, JFTR, QFTR - U.S. all-breed Amateur placements/JAMS, Am-Can Qual Wins (Trek) 1/31/07

Heads Up Dash to the Taiga WC **(Dart) 10/29/12

Can. GMH Coppertop Wind in the Taiga MH, WCX **, Can. CD, WCX, QFTR *** (Breeze) 9/5/00 - 9/30/10

Photo of one-year-old Trek by Greg Gersbach

The Derby ran back-to-back doubles and had most of the dogs run before the rain started. Both marks in the right hand double was thrown right to left - flyer on the right and longer memory mark on the left. Both marks in the left hand double were thrown left to right - shorter go bird on the right, longer memory mark on the left. The line was a long way from the gallery so I did not see this test from the line or even close to it. I heard that several dogs had problems with it. When I go back out there, I'll report on callbacks. I took shelter when the bad weather arrived.

Your horrid weather is all over the news...stay safe....thank you for the updates, test setups.........and good luck this weekend, Judy.

Judy
    Choctaw's Piscataquis Sebec UD MH CGC WCX ***
    UCDX HR SR Sand Dancer's XX MTB Ranger UDT, MH, WCX **
    HR SR Scarlett's Andi O'Malley CD SH OA NAJ CGC (OAJ-2 Placements) 9/16/1995-3/31/2011

Both stakes took a break during the downpour and resumed approximately 3:00.

Derby Callbacks to the 3rd series (21 dogs):

1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,12,14,15,16,19,23,25,26,27,28,30 ,31

The third series has a long mark across three pieces of water thrown left to right and a very short go bird to the right of the long mark thrown left to right in front of some tules with a splash. They were just preparing to run the first dog when I left to return to the Open.

Sounds like tough going for all concerned if they had to stop for a period of time. With a 100 dog Open I hope for good weather tomorrow and lots of time out of the rain for man and beast alike.

You think they can finish the Derby today?- Probably tomorrow-

Both stakes called it for the day shortly before 5:00. The last dogs in each stake were having a hard time seeing the birds and Open handlers couldn't see the blind stake or the dogs running the blind. The last dog to run the Open test was dog #102 and the last dog online was #2 but it was called prior to her running. So I believe #2 will start in the morning. However, the dogs were not always running in order due to the long walk to the line from the parking lot, so there may still be some earlier dogs left to run. A rough estimate is that the Open is about 1/3 of the way through the field. The Derby has a few dogs left to run. It is unknown whether they plan to run a 4th series or not.

Thanks for all of the updates sure glad I'm not judging or shooting at the trial!!!

Wow - sounds miserable with the weather.

Good Luck today.....weather/videos reports on Nat'l news..looks really awful...so, hoping everyone stays safe...and has a good trial..
    Choctaw's Piscataquis Sebec UD MH CGC WCX ***
    UCDX HR SR Sand Dancer's XX MTB Ranger UDT, MH, WCX **
    HR SR Scarlett's Andi O'Malley CD SH OA NAJ CGC (OAJ-2 Placements) 9/16/1995-3/31/2011

After a lull overnight, it's now raining again. Thunderstorms are in the forecast. The Derby is finishing up this morning which means the Amateur must delay starting because they are in close proximity. For those not familiar with the Goose Lake trial site, the soil turns to extremely thick mud when wet. Vehicles must stay on the graveled roads or risk becoming stuck. So it is challenging moving between stakes and passing by oncoming vehicles as well as finding a safe place to park. The dogs' feet and handlers' boots become caked with thick mud making moving around difficult. It should be an exciting day with three stakes running at the same time.