The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: "TONE" - where and why?

Quote Originally Posted by 2tall View Post
    He comes galloping in immediately because he knows what's next! I have never used it for training in any manner.
    I hope you don't mind me picking on you to try to illustrate a point for others Carol.

That's not why he comes He comes because you have trained him to respond to the tone as a come command, and that command is more powerful than your voice because it has been consistently re-enforced. You may not have done it on purpose, but that's what you've done.

If you yelled come and re-enforced it more consistently, he would come when you called him. Think about it... You yell come and nothing happens (necessarily). You hit the button and there is re-enforcement, each and every time...

As it is skip the verbal and just hit the button

Nothing wrong with it BTW, just trying to get people to think more clearly about what they are doing and why the reacts the way it does.
    Darrin Greene

I use the tone on my TT500 when quarting a field or edge of for Ruffed Grouse to have the dog change direction. I start in the yard with the classic "toot toot" to go left and right (with rope ) and slip in TT tone for toots and then only tone. It makes for very quiet upland work.
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Quote Originally Posted by DarrinGreene View Post
    Dog's don't ever think "I'd better get back to business".

the text books say that then my interpretation of what I sometimes see would be different I would have to take issue with your textbook. Just giving MHO, so flame on behavioralists

Quote Originally Posted by DarrinGreene View Post
    ..... Dog's don't ever think "I'd better get back to business"........
    Quote Originally Posted by mjh345 View Post
    the text books say that then my interpretation of what I sometimes see would be different I would have to take issue with your textbook. Just giving MHO, so flame on behavioralists

like when, at 3 a.m. you catch ol' Rover in the kitchen trash with a yogurt cup stuck on his nose? and you click the light on and ask what he is up to and he has that look on his face??
    You know that they are thinking,
    the same as you were thinking,
    when Grandma asked about the pie she had cooling on the back stoop when you were 6!!!
    mmmmmmm, used lard in her crust she did!!
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

I train my retrievers and my beagles that the tone means recall, or come back.

For the retrievers I hardly ever use it, they don't really leave my sight for long. Mostly I use it so I don't have to call them early in the morning when neighbors might still be sleeping. The sound echoes around here.

For the beagles it's a whole nother ball game. They are often out of sight while hunting. Sometimes they are five feet away and they are STILL out if sight the brush is that thick. You can't shock a dog if you can't see it, so all I have is my GPS and the tone. If I think the rabbit holed up, I tone them back. If I think they could be chasing towards a road, I tone them back.

I spend so much yard time training and reinforcing this behavior that if I press that tone button and my hounds won't return I'm going after them ASAP. It's only happened 3 times and all three times it was impossible for the dog to return to me. They needed help.
    Last edited by Marissa E.; 03-01-2014 at 08:32 AM. Reason: Typos

Marissa Everett

Hebrews 12:11 No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it.

Quote Originally Posted by mtncntrykid View Post
    Looking at the new Garmin e-collars I notice there is none with tone as far as I can tell. I also notice Dogtra doesn't put tone on their collars either. Do you use tone with your retriever and what do you use it for?

I want a new collar but not sure what to do with the limited tone options.
    It is a good option if you decide to sell the collar and buy the next new and better thing which hits the market. Other than that I use it find the collar when I have laid it down out of view while training.

I have one dog that tone means good dog--like a clicker, basically. It is pretty handy.

[QUOTE=DarrinGreene;

If you yelled come and re-enforced it more consistently, he would come when you called him. Think about it... You yell come and nothing happens (necessarily). You hit the button and there is re-enforcement, each and every time...

As it is skip the verbal and just hit the button

I guess this is where we differ. I treat my dogs as I would want to be treated in the same situation so I will give a verbal command and if I get no compliance, I will give a one time warning to correct this action before force is used. You can call it reinforcement if you choose but it is still force. And I believe that my dogs (like myself) are entitled to a second chance to make it right on that rare occasion.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Bora View Post
    I use the tone on my TT500 when quarting a field or edge of for Ruffed Grouse to have the dog change direction. I start in the yard with the classic "toot toot" to go left and right (with rope ) and slip in TT tone for toots and then only tone. It makes for very quiet upland work.

Thank You. This was the kind of information I was looking for. (other uses for tone) I am contemplating training my new puppy with tone working like a whistle stop for handling. Where I hunt sometimes a whistle doesn't carry loud or far enough and tone might be easier to handle.

Will it work? I was hoping input from you pro's would tell me.

Quote Originally Posted by mjh345 View Post
    Agree. Many times my dogs know they have been caught doing something they know they shouldn't. They lower their head and give you that look like I'M SORRY, lol Just like kids, their going to try pushing the limits.