The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Evan Graham - Walking Fetch

Default Evan Graham - Walking Fetch

Evan or anyone else,

When you are beginning walking fetch (just completed collar fetch) how often are you using stimulous ??
    Everytime you say fetch - every other time - every third time etc.
    Would love to know so not to over do it.

Thank you very much.

I do any time there is a refusal or every 3-5 depending on the level of intensity of the dog to stabilize the response. Don't be surprised if the dog blinks the bumper the first one after the nick during initial sessions until they start understanding.

Quote Originally Posted by obsessed View Post
    Evan or anyone else,

When you are beginning walking fetch (just completed collar fetch) how often are you using stimulus ??

Thank you very much.
    Once I've completed CC to fetch I almost never use continuous again. It's nearly always nicks from then on out.

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile

My understanding is. Teach the dog the drill first before you start using the collar. Next start forcing the dog EVERY time initially. I only did a couple of sessions of that. Use a low enough setting to get a snappy response, but something you arent over whelming the dog. Do you have smartfetch dvd? Like someone else said the dog might balk when you use the e-collar, be ready to back it up with the ear. After that initial session I use the collar only as a correction for not fetching. Most likely that wont happen.

I just finished this part of training up with my dog not that long ago. A walking fetch tip I got was to walk briskly and command fetch and keep walking. Dont command fetch and stop your forward movement. This will get the dog fetching very snappy

Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    Once I've completed CC to fetch I almost never use continuous again. It's nearly always nicks from then on out.

Evan
    I don't think you answered his question Evan. He wants to know the frequency of times you give stimulus at the beginning of walking fetch. In my world a nick is still stimulus.

Is it not that way in the Smartwork world?

There's no standard answer to that question.
    Darrin Greene

Quote Originally Posted by obsessed View Post
    Evan or anyone else,

When you are beginning walking fetch (just completed collar fetch) how often are you using stimulus ??

Thank you very much.
    My apologies. I came in late last night, and should have waited until i'd had some sleep. I read it wrong. Darren gave the answer, which is there is no standard answer. But you mention you had just completed collar fetch, and that got my tired mind thinking 'continuous vs. momentary'. I get lots of those types of questions. The CC is done, so you're just performing walking fetch, right? Stimulus is either corrective or compulsive, and only applied for no go during walking fetch. No way to predict that, so read and react.

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile

Default Teaching "fetch"

My pups are driving hard at the bumper with the word "fetch" with on sit, on walking fetch before I even pinch the ear or use any kid of pressure. Rex Carr taught me to run with what my gut and heart tells me. After the dog is crazy about fetching without pressure, then I reinforce with pressure depending on the character of the pup. Go with you gut and heart and use your own good judgment. All my best, Mike
    Last edited by Mollet - Labs; 03-01-2014 at 10:23 AM.