The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Scenario

Randy, I agree with your assumption regarding Darrin. As I stated in my second post, I am sure he had already formulated a plan and implemented it. But, it is a serious topic about a non-retriever breed with which I have some experience.

Susan, your point is well taken that a post is out there on the Internet for all to see. That is why I post thoughtfully, and when I feel like I have something to offer, and when I will not be redundant. I stand by what I posted.

In fact, there is a lot of good advice on this thread. The common denominator being that this is serious and that anyone facing this situation should take it seriously and act quickly. Whether it is rehoming the dog, seeking expert training, or changing the pack dynamic, the owner must pick and follow a course of action quickly and decisively. It is possible that someone monitoring this thread might see your post as disqualifying of other's posts; and, that would be unfortunate.

My wife and I delegate the protection of our flocks to livestock guardian dogs. We see, on a daily basis, the tasks these wonderful dogs are capable of handling. We also see the problems that can present in this breed. We see the numbers of LGDs that have to be rescued and rehomed. This is why I have responded so passionately, not recklessly, to this thread.
    "Appears to have been a glitch or two." Sheriff Ed Tom Bell

Quote Originally Posted by DarrinGreene View Post
    Customer with 3 yo Greater Swiss Mtn dog is worried dog might bite someone over a possession it is guarding.

Dog will pick up an object like a sock, that could be dangerous and show signs of aggression when the owner approaches to take it away. Dog begins showing reactions (according to customer) at about 4 feet.

Customer is a large gentleman with a bad ankle, not at all agile.

Dog has been through a local obedience program that I happen to know is done with a choke chain and a pat on the head. Dog is not wearing choke chain and owner believes that training may have triggered this issue.

Dog's is overweight and food bowl is in the kitchen, half full at 11 am. Dog shows little interest in food rewards.

Dog positions itself between trainer and owner and moves when with trainer to maintain it's position. Dog isn't particularly nervous but shows nervous symptoms when trainer approaches owner (mouth closes, tongue exposed). Dog does not act aggressively in this position but is obviously saying "leave me alone".

Dog sleeps in owner's bed nightly, no crate in sight.

Owner claims to have tried trading food for dangerous items and failed.

What's your analysis and plan of attack?

Remember, you need to solve this problem quickly before a family member gets bitten.
    Find another customer

BAM...cant get quicker then that
    HOLD FAST
    Winter is coming
    Duck hunters like other duck hunters at a Holiday party, cocktail hour or a school play..........they hate each other @ 5am

Paul Young wrote:
    I believe that Darrin understands the situation completely and has probably already formulated a plan of action.
    Paul I wasn't criticizing you. I was referring to this part of your post. I don't like to use partial posts so I included the entire post to help make my point.

Randy,

P.S. Waiting on Darrin's response
    May you pin all the marks and line the blinds!!

Avatar courtesy of RTF"s TZAPPIA

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Marshall View Post
    Where are Mitty and Mary Lynn when you need them? Noone would try to learn how to train a dog on the internet would they?
    No but I did offer a suggestion? Actually this issue is probably best with someone like Darrin and he is just seeing how we would handle the scenario. That is the way I interpreted this, so I just answered the question.? Maybe I am off base.IMHO We are all going to have varying opinions but the beginner (myself included need to seek real help) if they chose to tackle this problem themselves. I should have probably supplemented that to my first response! I also like the idea of checking with the vet to see there are not any medical issues?!
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA

HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI

Metras's Hashtag Mickey

Thanks for all the responses ladies n gentleman. It's been a very busy day and I'll read in more detail tomorrow.

Those who thought I was polling the forum for additional input are right. I was curious as to how much emphasis would be placed on certain elements of the situation, breed being one, day to day management of the dog being another.

I was able to easily control the dog in the initial consultation in a very calm, non confrontational manner and I have no doubt the owner could have done the same. Alas however... his wife didn't like my solution to the problem, so I may not be doing the complete job.

Meantime, I thought it was an interesting case and I figured there would be some people with more breed experience to help out with practical advice. Thanks again to those who responded to the original question.
    Darrin Greene

Just curious, what did the wife not like?
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

My best guess is that it was the cost of the service, but I don't know for sure Carol. Everyone's a dog trainer, until... they're not...
    Darrin Greene

OK it's late but WOW! Thank you all for such practical advice. I will read this more than once and take it all in further. THANK YOU!
    Darrin Greene