The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What my pro said

Quote Originally Posted by JL82 View Post
    Deep South it's 70 today, water marks are great she loves that
    Pointing out the obvious, but air temperature does not equal water temperature, which changes much more slowly such that it lags.

Sounds like she likes marks but doesn't like the rules and the pressure that comes with water force, de-cheating, etc. And the water being cold - if so - would not help that situation at all.
    Last edited by RookieTrainer; 03-02-2014 at 11:52 AM.
    Steve Wyatt

HR Belle's Rolling Big Rig "Jimmy"

Quote Originally Posted by RookieTrainer View Post
    Pointing out the obvious, but air temperature does not equal water temperature, which changes much more slowly such that it lags.

Sounds like she likes marks but doesn't like the rules and the pressure that comes with water force, de-cheating, etc. And the water being cold - if so - would not help that situation at all.
    If he is in the Deep South and it's 70 degrees today I'm guessing the water is fine

Quote Originally Posted by mjh345 View Post
    If he is in the Deep South and it's 70 degrees today I'm guessing the water is fine
    But it has been a cold winter this year in the deep south. We have no idea what the water temps were like when he first started forcing this dog to water. I know of a few pros that are extremely conservative about water temps & drill work because they worry about creating a sour water attitude.
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

My question is... what happened while she was away from the pro that is now causing the issue? Is it the dog or did someone make cold water into a scary scary place for a soft dog?
    Darrin Greene

Warm water can be made to be a scary place too.
    John Lash

"If you run Field Trials, you learn to swallow your disappointment quickly."

"Field trials are not a game for good dogs. They're for great dogs with great training." E. Graham

How was she during hunting season when you had her? Did she ever no go in the blind and get away with it? Did she sustain any injuries during the season? Did she ever water freak due to decoys, cover, etc.? Did she have any bad experiences like a wounded goose pecking the hell out of her? Did you use any heavy handed corrections in the water? There are a lot of things that could be attributed to this. And on a side note I don't know how far south but the water temps are not favorable here yet despite having a few days well into the 70s.

Last Friday the water temp here was only 46 and on Sat was 50. I ran Rowdy on some short blinds with a vest but this would have been too cold for water force IMHO. I think 55 is the minimum for young dog drills.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

Quote Originally Posted by mjh345 View Post
    Yeah, not so much. The water in Louisiana is still very cold.

What are your goals for this dog? You've hunted with her one season; is she to be primarily a hunting dog? If so water force may not need to be a make-or-break issue. Many dogs can be brought to a good level of reliability on going when sent while hunting without formal water force.

What options are you considering? Accepting her as she now is? Continuing training yourself? Sending to someone else? Washing her out and getting another dog?

Amy Dahl

Are you hunt testing your dog now? If so at what level is your dog? Some dogs seem to go through each level of training ladders one step to the next. Some may just need to mature a bit before moving ahead. I might just slow things down a bit, build more confidence by having fun with the dog working on its strengths and let the warmth of Spring roll in. This year it looks like Spring weather will be slow coming around as well no matter what part of the country you are in.
    Nothing against pro's but I always worry about pressure issues which can come up with collar use on a dog that may be being pushed too hard when it really just needs a bit more time and confidence especially in water. I'm not sure what the average age of a SH but would bet you have plenty of time to get there. I'd take the roadblock detour, go one step at a time building more confidence and try and get a better idea of what's going on in your dogs head. More pressure could create more confusion, so I'd tread lightly here as time is on your side to try and understand what is confusing your dog. She's telling you there is something she doesn't understand as its a new lesson. It's not a blatant refusal like not coming when called so I'm always cautious about the pressure when trying to teach. You can do a lot with advancing your dog's training without focusing on electricity in water which may benefit your overall training in the long run. You would not be the only dog owner who's dog had an aversion to electricity in water.Work on other aspects and come back to this later on and you may see better results as you continue training. Most people here have said water is still too cold .