The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What my pro said

She has a started title, she's still at the trainers and as far as attitude hunting she was awesome, nothing but eager to retrieve on the coldest of days. Gonna let it warm up and reintroduce the step. The plan is to take her through finished.

My first BLF was a real challenge to water force. I was working with a pro and we just slowed down and worked her through it. She did take a bit longer to complete than the other dogs but she did eventually get it.

One method we used was to force to pile just before we would start our water forcing. Lots of happy bummpers to keep her attitude up during the process and consistancy, we water forced everyday for 2 weeks. We then slowed down to 3 times a week until she was fully water forced.

Take care,
    How The West was Won ( Colt)
    Delilahs Addicted to Mischief ( Delilah) My Jammin little girl
    Extreme Dixies Rebel Yell ( Dixie ) JH
    Dawsons Little Sable (Sable) 12 /08 - 5/14 , We'll hunt again someday girl.

St. Thomas, the great doctor and theologian, warns about the proper use of animals, lest they appear at the final Judgment against us: and God himself will take vengeance on all who misuse his creatures.

Quote Originally Posted by JL82 View Post
    She has a started title, she's still at the trainers and as far as attitude hunting she was awesome, nothing but eager to retrieve on the coldest of days. Gonna let it warm up and reintroduce the step. The plan is to take her through finished.
    As mention...Trust your pro....Something cause this dog to baulk and usually it is the handler's fault whether you believe it or not.
    Warm water is not going to solve the problem. Understanding the dog will solve the problem...And the pro will help with that. Just saying....

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Nutt View Post
    Last Friday the water temp here was only 46 and on Sat was 50. I ran Rowdy on some short blinds with a vest but this would have been too cold for water force IMHO. I think 55 is the minimum for young dog drills.
    I am certainly not an expert but in more than 40 years of retriever training I have never measured water temperature. Common sense has always been my guide. I have always wondered how one can accurately determine water temperature in swimming water 10 yards from shore without going out in a boat and submerging the thermometer below the surface. Please enlighten me, perhaps I have been making a serious mistake.

Try using a fishing rod.

john
    "i guess the old saying 'those of us that think we know everything annoy those of you that does' " --bobbyb 9/13/06

"A Good Dog is a Good Dog"

Quote Originally Posted by EdA View Post
    I am certainly not an expert but in more than 40 years of retriever training I have never measured water temperature. Common sense has always been my guide. I have always wondered how one can accurately determine water temperature in swimming water 10 yards from shore without going out in a boat and submerging the thermometer below the surface. Please enlighten me, perhaps I have been making a serious mistake.
    1 swimming pool thermometer, 1 20 foot piece of string, tie loop on end of sting, insert hand thru loop up to wrist, just like throwing a bumper, wait 2 minutes, real in string, read thermometer.
    Discipline is no excuse for a lack of enthusiasm !!

Quote Originally Posted by john fallon View Post
    Try using a fishing rod.

john
    I don't fish, I guess if I lived north of the Mason-Dixon Line I might be concerned with water temperature but I don't and neither does Wayne.

Remember guys...depending on how deep the water is, there are thermoclines...
    Past SCUBA driver regards....

Well then... If you don't have a swimming pool, I guess you would have to use your boat

john
    "i guess the old saying 'those of us that think we know everything annoy those of you that does' " --bobbyb 9/13/06

"A Good Dog is a Good Dog"

Quote Originally Posted by mjh345 View Post
    If he is in the Deep South and it's 70 degrees today I'm guessing the water is fine
    I live in the Deep South and I can guarantee you I would not have jumped into the water last Sunday when it was 75 degrees outside and expected to hit 75-degree water.
    Steve Wyatt

HR Belle's Rolling Big Rig "Jimmy"