The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Off topic snow goose band question

Default Off topic snow goose band question

So far in three hunts this spring I have killed 47 snow geese with no bands. I hear and see pictures all the time where guys have killed that amount and had 3-4 bands. Anyone killed a bunch of bands this year?

I would guess that most banded snow geese die "sniper style".

Lonnie Spann
    DISCLAIMER: The above post is the opinionated and biased view of your's truly, Lonnie Spann, and is in no way intended to reflect the opinions or views of the unfortunate individuals named below who just happen to be doomed with guilt by association.

Member of CAHRC and North AL HRC. I train with AND AM FRIENDS WITH: Fishduck, Laidback, Splash_Em, RF2, Drake2014, Claimsadj, Hooked on Quackers, RookieTrainer and Roseberry.

HRCH Spann's Quacker Jack "Jack" 500 Pt. Club (New & IMPROVED jacket).

its just luck! Like 1-5000 birds is banded...
    "Some people pride themselves on how far they can shoot ducks, others pride themselves on how close they can get them. I'm an other!!! "
    John Stephens RNT

HRCH Wilson's Grand Prairie Pintail
    http://wilsonsretrievers.com/

Quote Originally Posted by i_willie12 View Post
    its just luck! Like 1-5000 birds is banded...
    Agreed. For me they run in cycles and come in bunches. I'll go years without seeing any then get a season where I'll get double digits; getting multiple banded birds on the same day. They get banded and groups, which reults in them being clustered in certain flights

i've hunted waterfowl since 1978 and have never killed a banded bird. I have been with someone who got one on 3 occasions but have never got one myself.

If you want good pictures use a DU bands. They come in all colors. Looks more authentic when you smear mud on them.

Ive killed 2 banded ducks and have only hunted for 4 seasons, everyone I hunt with kills banded geese and never kills banded ducks. So I guess I'm just that guy lol.
    I watch Band Hunters too much lol. Guess I need to go talk to Fred Zink and have him show me how to kill 5 bands in one hunt lol.

Heck, I'd be happy to say I shot that many snows in three hunts.
    We're going to SD March 22-26 on a freelance hunt.

Middle of Michigan n Matagorda TX (no more cause the RV park we stayed in said no to outside dogs.

I hunt the white hoards in TX, have taken quite a few bands including specs banded in 1994 and 1996 last year. Three years in a row in the same field I took banded Ross' one with a double band. If you look at where they are banded I doubt that 1-5000 is a good number because there are no roads, few villages and sparse travel options. If you are hunting for bands go to Big Canada territory. I also doubt many snow bands are taken by sniping since it is so hard to pick one out of a group since groups we see are multiple hundreds and mostly close together. Still it is fun to get a band. Last one I got was while training in a hay field, there lay a skeleton with a plastic band on one leg and metal band on the other. Wing feather ID'd it to me as a white pelican. Confirmed when the band was sent in and etched. BTW I got the etched band back this week in good condition.

Pelican bands.jpg
    John C aka jacduck

Do you really want to increase entries at the Junior Hunt Test level? Simply put a limit on entries and everyone will flock to JR and fight over how to get in and what to change to make it fair for all !!!!!

"Duck hunter's minds are like concrete. All mixed up and permanently set."

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie Spann View Post
    I would guess that most banded snow geese die "sniper style".
    Maybe, Lonnie - but sniping's also a "surefire" way to line yourself up for a big fine or even a prison sentence. Making it all the worse is what you might be going to prison for over a little bling, to wit: http://deltafarmpress.com/tribute-de...ler-josh-leger

Bucking the odds, I've gotten three bands out of a single pass, nothing in the last couple of years though.

MG