The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Off topic snow goose band question

Quote Originally Posted by jacduck View Post
    I also doubt many snow bands are taken by sniping since it is so hard to pick one out of a group since groups we see are multiple hundreds and mostly close together.
    Ditto - I've got pretty good eyesight and as the dog was bringing this one home, rather than a band,

my first thought at distance and semi-darkness was a bald eagle had got ahold of it and skint its neck.

By the way, Lonnie, that there's a Boykin - you ain't gotta worry none on them needing to be force fetched on banded birds...

Quote Originally Posted by crackerd View Post
    Ditto - I've got pretty good eyesight and as the dog was bringing this one home, rather than a band,

my first thought at distance and semi-darkness was a bald eagle had got ahold of it and skint its neck.

By the way, Lonnie, that there's a Boykin - you ain't gotta worry none on them needing to be force fetched on banded birds...
    That is awesome! Doesn't every neck-banded goose also have a leg band? I don't think that it is unheard of for some folks to glass a flock or flocks while feeding, spot one with a neck band and dispatch it with a rifle.

I have never killed a banded goose. In fact, I have never been on a "goose" hunt. Every goose that I have ever killed was the result of the poor fellow flying too close to me when I was duck hunting.

Lonnie Spann
    Last edited by Lonnie Spann; 03-02-2014 at 12:30 PM.
    DISCLAIMER: The above post is the opinionated and biased view of your's truly, Lonnie Spann, and is in no way intended to reflect the opinions or views of the unfortunate individuals named below who just happen to be doomed with guilt by association.

Member of CAHRC and North AL HRC. I train with AND AM FRIENDS WITH: Fishduck, Laidback, Splash_Em, RF2, Drake2014, Claimsadj, Hooked on Quackers, RookieTrainer and Roseberry.

HRCH Spann's Quacker Jack "Jack" 500 Pt. Club (New & IMPROVED jacket).

Quote Originally Posted by jacduck View Post
    I hunt the white hoards in TX, have taken quite a few bands including specs banded in 1994 and 1996 last year. Three years in a row in the same field I took banded Ross' one with a double band. If you look at where they are banded I doubt that 1-5000 is a good number because there are no roads, few villages and sparse travel options. If you are hunting for bands go to Big Canada territory. I also doubt many snow bands are taken by sniping since it is so hard to pick one out of a group since groups we see are multiple hundreds and mostly close together. Still it is fun to get a band. Last one I got was while training in a hay field, there lay a skeleton with a plastic band on one leg and metal band on the other. Wing feather ID'd it to me as a white pelican. Confirmed when the band was sent in and etched. BTW I got the etched band back this week in good condition.

Attachment 17507
    That's cool!
    Steph

Brittany - Border Collie/Springer Spaniel CGC
    Meka- Basset/Aussie
    Zoe's Taller N Me - Zoe Irish Wolfhound 9/04/2004 - 11/20/2013 I love you Big Girl!
    Ember Raise The Bar CGC - Corona (a fluffy)
    CH. Justa Gingersnap CGC - Ginger Shiba Inu

A good friend helps you up when you fall. A best friend pees their pants laughing and trips you again!

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie Spann View Post
    That is awesome! Doesn't every neck-banded goose also have a leg band? ...

I have never killed a banded goose. In fact, I have never been on a "goose" hunt. Every goose that I have ever killed was the result of the poor fellow flying too close to me when I was duck hunting.
    Believe that to be the case...the neckband was from a conservation outfit, not as banded by USFWS with big bucks behind it.

My goose hunts are more of backyard picnic,

with the birds sometimes dropping in with the silverware

MG

CORRECTION: Goose hunting used to be a backyard picnic. Times have changed, now it's a front yard picnic

or curse the luck (and circumstances), nothing at all...

MG

Quote Originally Posted by mjh345 View Post
    Agreed. For me they run in cycles and come in bunches. I'll go years without seeing any then get a season where I'll get double digits; getting multiple banded birds on the same day. They get banded and groups, which reults in them being clustered in certain flights
    Same for us... We seem to go about 5 years with nothing.... Then kill a couple for 2-3 years in a row But still hunting for 24 years and have 3 2 leg bands 1 neck collar
    "Some people pride themselves on how far they can shoot ducks, others pride themselves on how close they can get them. I'm an other!!! "
    John Stephens RNT

HRCH Wilson's Grand Prairie Pintail
    http://wilsonsretrievers.com/

It is all total luck. THis year on a hunt in AR we killed only 10 ducks and killed 3 out of one group, and TWO were banded. The guide said that in his years and years of guiding all over the county that he has only seen 2 banded ducks killed by a group in 1 day, only one time before.

I also doubt many snow bands are taken by sniping since it is so hard to pick one out of a group since groups we see are multiple hundreds and mostly close together
    I disagree on collard birds(which incidentally sport some leg wear) Guys "jack" those birds all the time

On the topic of bands I think the band data is getting skewed, especially in terms of geese ...I'm guilty of the land and de-band practice...specifically targeting banded birds skews the band data
    HOLD FAST
    Winter is coming
    Duck hunters like other duck hunters at a Holiday party, cocktail hour or a school play..........they hate each other @ 5am

Finally killed a banded goose today!!!image.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Duckman0612 View Post
    Guess I need to go talk to Fred Zink and have him show me how to kill 5 bands in one hunt lol.

He will tell you to hunt area where they do the banding. That may take some insider info.
    HRCH Mt. Holly "SKyler" Blue SH 500 HRC pts. club

HRCH Mt. Holly Thunder and Lightning "Storm" MH 500 pts. club, Grand pass

www.robrobertsgunworks.com