The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fundamental problem

Quote Originally Posted by Huff;
    Did a tailgate party at events help recruit new people to stay or was it more of a social event for the same guard
    Russell
    Parties are great for big clubs but too much work for clubs like North Texas, Sooner, Cimarron, Red River, Wichita Falls etc. where small numbers of workers are already stretched too thin. Most of the places that I have judged that have parties have a long tradition and they are generally well attended even though everyone is weary and getting wearier with each passing year.

Agreed, I look at the tailgate party as just more work to do.
    John Lash

"If you run Field Trials, you learn to swallow your disappointment quickly."

"Field trials are not a game for good dogs. They're for great dogs with great training." E. Graham

Quote Originally Posted by EdA View Post
    Parties are great for big clubs but too much work for clubs like North Texas, Sooner, Cimarron, Red River, Wichita Falls etc. where small numbers of workers are already stretched too thin. Most of the places that I have judged that have parties have a long tradition and they are generally well attended even though everyone is weary and getting wearier with each passing year.
    For the most part agree. However I think the parties on Sat night are invaluable for building camaderie and making newbies feel accepted.
    The St. Louis Trial for example just gets a bunch of fried chicken and sides and have a very informal dinner. Not a tremendous amount of effort, in terms of cost/benefit is a win win IMHO It is a good chance to meet and greet. It costs less than what an average juddges dinner would cost and promotes some interaction amongst all. We need more of that IMHO

This is a great discussion. I belong to club and like everyone we struggle to increase membership. We too have a core group of people who carry a lot of the load. We have a Facebook page and website. In late summer 2012 we made up fliers and had members attending DU banquets get permission to put out fliers on the he tables. The wife and I went to 3 dinners ourselves and all told the club members attended about 7 events. Guess how many folks we got to come to a training day? - Zero.

So I have been thinking about my own journey. The first club we joined was in upstate NY. We bought our first lab and the breeder knowing I wanted to hunt him guided us to a club for training. Moved across the country then back again to SC. About 3 years after moving here and our first 2 labs crossed the rainbow bridge we bought another lab from the same breeder. So having no contacts here we used the web to search for a local club. Went to a training day and have been a member ever since.

I do have a point to my story. Perhaps we need to look at why our members joined our respective clubs and use that knowledge to grow. I know it is easier said than done but I see only upside since other tactics , at least for us, don't seem to work well

My 2 cents.
    Hebrews 11:3 By faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that the things which are seen were not made of things which are visible.

What if all we have today is what we gave thanks for yesterday?

Limited land for training and running dogs is symptomatic with less opportunities for hunting birds either in a club or on open public access land. In the Northeast open access to good bird property is virtually non existent. It appears that the barriers to get families out in that type of activity just doesn't help us when it is at the core of what we do with our dogs. It's a shame because as we see in discussions with all the problems with events land is the biggest issue.

In NJ we are always voting on Green Acres open land preservation purchases which become inaccessible because they will buy Great wonderful farms, other prime acreage and have virtually no access to the public so the land becomes over growth and inaccessible. The PC crowd practices what I call reverse discrimination where the minority controls the majority to all of our detriment. Some 35 years ago when I got my first dog I got into hunting just around the same time Richard Wolters was getting our game going. It was easy to go out every weekend and enjoy a hunt with my dog and friends. Today bird hunting in NJ is becoming non existent for the regular guy with limited clubs, overgrown and overcrowded public venues and a few commercial preserves. If you want to hunt birds you go west.

So having said all that, there may not be as much of an interest in our sport because we are being purposely squeezed out of doing what we do and most don't realize it. This is proved out by declining numbers of hunters. Sadly, I think the answer is going to be the same for dog clubs as its been for hunting clubs trying to hang on while being squeezed out. Pay more for memberships, pay more for land and pay more for help while we continue to be squeezed (screwed). I vote NO on public initiatives because why pay for something you can't use.
    All of the ideas, initiatives are wonderful and could work if only they had an audience who could participate.
    Maybe I'm missing something buts that's the way I see it. Our club has tried and does all of what everybody else is doing. Just think real hard about anything you let government control and what they really are controlling by creating apathy to hunting thus getting more control on our Right To Bear Arms. That is the strategic long term goal.

Quote Originally Posted by Julie R. View Post
    Sadly, while many people want dogs that handle and obey the first command crisply, very few are willing to put in the work it takes just to have solid basic obedience. I put on a Field Day for the ACC every year and have been secretary of a large retriever club near metro Washington D.C. and would venture to say that for every 50 people that think, "Wow, I want a dog like that" maybe one or less are willing to do what it takes. I have always taken the position in our club that a certain percentage of new members will come to a few training sessions and work one HT, an even smaller amount will put a JH on their dogs, and maybe 1 in 100 will join the small core group of members that do all the work. For that one gem, you need to recruit 2 dozen members every year to replace the cycle of short term or JH only members who show up for a few sessions and then disappear. I don't know what the answer is, seems like it's always been that way with clubs.
    Julie, very true. There is a high rate of attrition. However. if you pick up a member or two out of 100, it's still one or two more members.

Perhaps the problem is just what you stated: Most people aren't willing to put in the time and effort to really train a dog. And maybe that's why interest remains fairly low.
    Sharon Potter

www.redbranchkennels.net

Chesapeake Bay Retrievers...too many to list.

Team Huntsmith

We belong to a struggling HRC club in the Pacific Northwest, for volunteers we hit up the local high school sports organizations ie. football team and cheerleaders to volunteer one day and in return we give a donation towards new equipment or whatever they need. Parents and Coaches drive the kids there, and volunteer as well. The next day, we use the local 4H club. We give a small donation and we go and give a demonstration of what we do to train the dogs...Our local field trial club did use juvenile offenders for a weekend trial. It is a way to try and get them on the right path, approval from the proper authorities of course. Another way to get volunteers and/or new members is to go to the local outdoor/hunting shows and get a booth and demonstrate what the dogs can do right from a puppy to the open field trial, master level dog. These are just suggestions to help out, and put my two cents in. Good Luck in your ventures!

I am going to say something thats prolly not going to go over well with some people here.

If you train your own dog.
    If you work a full time job, that requires more hours than a typical 40 hr week.
    If you also have other "resposibilities" outside your full time job other than a dog.

Tell me,

Where do you find the time to dedicate yourself to a group of people called a club!

How do you give up your training time on Weekdays, and weekend days, those days that give you the most opportunity to train YOUR dog? to dedicate to a club?

My experience with club trainingg days, is Many folks have very different opinions as to how to train, What to work on, Testing instead of training ect.

To me, it has been a Huge improvement to find a small group of Like Minded people, who train the same way, and really keep that standard held high.
    It has been more productive for ME to dedicate my time to this type of atmosphere.

I have learned a LOT, and my current dog is progressing at a more proficient pace..

My goal, from the beginning, has always been to have a well trained dog I could hunt with. If I can competently run a few tests along the way,, Great!, But my focus, and regulation of the time I have available to me, will be for training..

I dont think I would be considered a "Good" club member... I think Many would consider me a Taker.... But.. those that train with me, know that on those day, I will man a station, Shoot a flyer, plant blinds, pick up and move equiptment,and most assuredly, the last guy to leave.

I just dedicate to a smaller group..

Gooser
    Last edited by MooseGooser; 03-03-2014 at 12:22 AM.
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet SH (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"

I think most of the people who are dedicated to training do what you do. It's pretty much what we all do. The problem comes when the "small group" has to put on a trial.
    John Lash

"If you run Field Trials, you learn to swallow your disappointment quickly."

"Field trials are not a game for good dogs. They're for great dogs with great training." E. Graham

If I decide to run a test, and enter..

I hope people understand, that I am ready, able and willing to work for the club! To throw birds, man a station, plant a blind, or Marshall!
    what ever I can do to help..

But,, It may take a considerable amount of time before I am ready to have a dog prepared to run a test!

Most all the folks in my small training group are judges! I am the selfish one.

Gooser
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet SH (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"