The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thunder 500- Pro's and Con's

Default Thunder 500- Pro's and Con's

Now that bumper boy is out of business i am looking for information on this product. What has been your experience?

thanks
    Chase perfection and accept excellence- Vince Lombardi

I like em. The only con in my book is it doesn't throw birds.

I like mine, no issues since getting last summer! I found I have not used as much as I expected since I use my wingers and ducks! Nice to have 5 shots, can't use for long gun since receiver is so low to ground, had to make modifications to place receiver higher than the unit! Good solid product!

Chris
    __________________________________________________ _____________

Brownstone's Harley- "Harley" 7/29/2009 (By CH Woodhull's Roger That)
    Maple Hill's Ella Enchanted- "Ella" 8/30/2011 (By FC AFC Land Ahoy)

Ours could never make it through a training session without malfunctioning. Paid over $50 to ship it back, received it again with the same problem. Was instructed to open up the case and strike the ?igniter? with a hammer. This temporary fix, as I said, never lasted through an entire training session and was time-consuming because of the tiny screws involved, which rapidly became far fewer than originally supplied! The frequent no birds were a training problem, in addition to the time spent. So the unit has been gathering dust now for quite a while.

Amy Dahl

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Videtto View Post
    I like mine, no issues since getting last summer! I found I have not used as much as I expected since I use my wingers and ducks! Nice to have 5 shots, can't use for long gun since receiver is so low to ground, had to make modifications to place receiver higher than the unit! Good solid product!

Chris
    I typically use mine for the long gun. I put the receiver on the stick man to get it up there, otherwise you are right, Chris.

also, it is great for use with the malcolm (mount the receiver on the Malcolm instead of stick man) because it will be hidden behind the short holding blind.

I sold my bumper boys to go with the thunder about a year ago and have been very happy. I usually use a mix of wingers and the Thunder.

It is a big improvement over the original Max 5000 which I could never get to work properly. I have had no problems with my thunder

We love ours and use them daily....but then of course my husband owns the company!! LOL But seriously they are great and we are continuing to sell tons.

Too much downtime.Never made it through half my dogs. Mine was first generation system. Always something , just like Bumper boy.

Quote Originally Posted by afdahl View Post
    Ours could never make it through a training session without malfunctioning. Paid over $50 to ship it back, received it again with the same problem. Was instructed to open up the case and strike the ?igniter? with a hammer. This temporary fix, as I said, never lasted through an entire training session and was time-consuming because of the tiny screws involved, which rapidly became far fewer than originally supplied! The frequent no birds were a training problem, in addition to the time spent. So the unit has been gathering dust now for quite a while.

Amy Dahl
    Similar experience as Amy. Additionally the bumpers are so light that they are useless with any wind; whch makes bird placement impossible

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Dufour View Post
    Too much downtime.Never made it through half my dogs. Mine was first generation system. Always something , just like Bumper boy.
    I am also considering the Thunder Launchers. Are we all talking about the Thunder or also the Etch-mark and Maxx 5000??

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Thiry View Post
    I am also considering the Thunder Launchers. Are we all talking about the Thunder or also the Etch-mark and Maxx 5000??
    Folks are confusing the old high maintenance products with the new Thunder product I think.

I have had the Etch Marc Max 5000s. I liked them in spite of the issues. Trained a couple of titled FT dogs extensively with them. Plan to buy two of the Thunder 5 shooters very soon for the pup I'm bringing up.
    Bill Davis