RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Thunder 500- Pro's and Con's

5K views 24 replies 18 participants last post by  retrieverfever 
#1 ·
Now that bumper boy is out of business i am looking for information on this product. What has been your experience?

thanks

#3 ·
I like mine, no issues since getting last summer! I found I have not used as much as I expected since I use my wingers and ducks! Nice to have 5 shots, can't use for long gun since receiver is so low to ground, had to make modifications to place receiver higher than the unit! Good solid product!

Chris

#5 ·
I typically use mine for the long gun. I put the receiver on the stick man to get it up there, otherwise you are right, Chris.

also, it is great for use with the malcolm (mount the receiver on the Malcolm instead of stick man) because it will be hidden behind the short holding blind.

I sold my bumper boys to go with the thunder about a year ago and have been very happy. I usually use a mix of wingers and the Thunder.

It is a big improvement over the original Max 5000 which I could never get to work properly. I have had no problems with my thunder

#4 ·
Ours could never make it through a training session without malfunctioning. Paid over $50 to ship it back, received it again with the same problem. Was instructed to open up the case and strike the ?igniter? with a hammer. This temporary fix, as I said, never lasted through an entire training session and was time-consuming because of the tiny screws involved, which rapidly became far fewer than originally supplied! The frequent no birds were a training problem, in addition to the time spent. So the unit has been gathering dust now for quite a while.

Amy Dahl

#8 ·
Ours could never make it through a training session without malfunctioning. Paid over $50 to ship it back, received it again with the same problem. Was instructed to open up the case and strike the ?igniter? with a hammer. This temporary fix, as I said, never lasted through an entire training session and was time-consuming because of the tiny screws involved, which rapidly became far fewer than originally supplied! The frequent no birds were a training problem, in addition to the time spent. So the unit has been gathering dust now for quite a while.

Amy Dahl
Similar experience as Amy. Additionally the bumpers are so light that they are useless with any wind; whch makes bird placement impossible

#11 · (Edited)
Going on 6 yes now with ours...Just a couple issues with them that Doug worked out over the phone.Have 4 with 2 more 10 shooters coming .Like Chris on a long one we just put a plastic fence stake out for reception.Jim

#14 ·
I own 2 and love the units. I purchased my first unit over 6 years ago and a second unit about 3 years ago. I've had a few minor adjustments which I was able to work out with Doug over the phone. He is always super attentive and helpfull and the tweaks were relatively simple with his troubleshooting help and no need to return units to the factory.The unit components are very basic so there is not a whole lot to go wrong.
I have 2 five shooters and like the flexibility they provide for training a couple of dogs. The units run on MAP gas and thus you get firepower combined with the shot effect without having to manually reload as often as a winger or two shot bumper boy.You just put the bumpers on the tubes and your back in action. I plan on purchasing a third unit so I'll be good for triples. I train alone so the launchers have been invaluable as a training tool with marks and set ups.The dogs love to see them come out and the compactness, steel case and multiple shot capability helps save time,effort and makes for a durable product.
You don't see many for sale on the used market which is a testament to how good they are IMO.

#15 ·
I have had one for a year. No problems with operation. In fact I have used it in the middle of the winter here in the upper midwest and it has work perfectly! Wind can cause placement to be tricky. Training partners love the ease of reloading bumpers compared to bumper boys. I use it in combintion with wingers.

#16 ·
I have a new Thunder 500 that I thought I was having problems with. Doug, the owner, was very easy to work with.
He sent me a mail tag to send back as I am not very mechanical. It ended up the problem was with my dogtra electronics- which I will say
Dogtra was great and sent new electronics. This all being said after the new electronics I have been using daily with no problems. Earlier post
complained about the light weight bumpers. I added Avery flags and white streamers. I am able to control the distance with the transmitter and have gotten
pretty good placing them. Can do a high exciting mark or a short flat mark. They work great and get the dogs very excited and are great for the dogs Attitude Attitude Attitude !!!

#17 ·
Had mine for2 years and pretty much trouble free, way better than bumper boy. Can of gas lasts for ever so they are very economical to use. I have no problem with recievers working at a distance but bumper are hard to see at 2 to 300 yds. I prefer my wingers and birds but the thunders have their place

#19 ·
Sorry, the Spiders have been discontinued........Jim

#20 ·
Did they ever make any? I had heard of a couple of folks with demos but never heard anyone who bought one. I did just notice it was no longer on their web site. Too bad. Guess I will stick with multiple wingers at each station. :(

#22 ·
I have had a Thunder 500 for a few years and have never had a problem. I use mine mostly as a second throw for a dog that needs help, so winger next to it and usually put the receiver on the winger or stockman. I also use it on water marks because I'm more likely to throw bumpers. Some people put out birds where the bumpers land too so they're still using birds. I really like mine for how I use it. Much more of a pain to set out 2 wingers than setting out winger and thunder.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.