The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: help with house breaking

Default help with house breaking

I've got a five month old black lab male and he is refusing to get house broke. I can take him out every hour half hour doesn't matterbit seems like he will hold some back when outside then a little bit after coming back inside he will finishing peeing in my carpet. This mostly happens when I'm not around and its just my wife around. Another problem is he thinks that its OK to go ton the bathroom in his kennel. Anyone have any help?

Is the kennel so big that he can pee in the corner and stay away from it? If so, divide it with a box so that he has to sit in his own pee if he goes. Also, don't clean the mess up in front of him. This doesn't sound like a big deal, but it really is. Did you ever notice that when you pick up the poop outside, they'll leave you a fresh pile while you're picking it up? Mine always does that. She must think I'm playing with it and she wants to give me more to play with.

He said is big enough now that when he goes he dies have to sit in it. When he was younger I did section the kennel off to, in thought when he was younger he would grow out of it but he hasn't. I will definatly try the not letting him watch us clean it up. Thank you.

Might also lack adequate clean up. If there is scent left behind- its tough for them to get it that it's not ok to go inside. Saturate the area with white vinegar. Or use an enzyme based cleaner. Or both.

Might need to get him out every 20 minutes. Might need to be in the kennel when you aren't watching him, it sounds like he isn't getting paid adequate attention to prevent accidents when you are away. My wife has never been all that helpful about housebreaking- though she certainly offers me plenty of encouragement to get it done sooner than later...

I'm agreeing with the others. My advice:

1. Clean his crate really well. Lots of vinegar or an enzyme based cleaner. Check the walls and floors for splatter that you may have missed, and give any areas nearby a wipedown with straight vinegar or enzyme based cleaner too. Then give him a good bath so he doesn't smell like urine either.

2. Try to figure out when his crate accidents are happening. Is it overnight? During the day? Can he not hold it for any length of time? or Does he just not care?

3. Where did you get the pup? was it from a good breeder who kept things clean? Sometimes, dogs who start their lives off in a kennel where they cannot get out to relieve themselves, learn to not care about keeping themselves clean. These types of dogs can be really difficult to house train, and professional help could really benefit you if that's the case.

4. Finally, it's not the norm for a dog to like being dirty and like being in it's own waste. Have you had the dog vet checked? UTIs can contribute to the need to urinate often, and not be able to control it well, as can other issues. Ruling out problems at the vet will help too.

I would be having him checked for UTIs.
    deb

This is going to sound crazy but it works. Barring a medical issue the next time that he goes in his crate make him suffer. Leave him in it for half a day if you have to. When he is standing because he can't lie down and whining and carrying on you will know that he has gotten the point. This will teach him that it is very undesirable to go in the crate and will teach him to hold it and also to eliminate completely when let out. It usually only takes one or two times and they get the point.

Quote Originally Posted by commando View Post
    I've got a five month old black lab male and he is refusing to get house broke. I can take him out every hour half hour doesn't matterbit seems like he will hold some back when outside then a little bit after coming back inside he will finishing peeing in my carpet. This mostly happens when I'm not around and its just my wife around. Another problem is he thinks that its OK to go ton the bathroom in his kennel. Anyone have any help?
    Dogs are markers. How much exercise is he getting free reign where he can burn energy and mark his territory? Too many people expect a dog to adjust to their schedule without putting the time in. Get up early and go for long walks and come home with the intent of putting the dog first. If he gets the time put into him he won't have any need to "refuse" to be house broke.

Edit** This came off a bit harsh, but my point is that just going outside for a few minutes for a male isn't enough. They don't empty their bladders the way a bitch does. They need to mark and have the opportunity to do that. My feeling (right or wrong) is that if he's peeing in the house after airing (barring a UTI or other circumstance) is that he wasn't out long enough to be aired and exercised.
    M
    Last edited by Miriam Wade; 03-07-2014 at 08:03 AM.
    "You can put pressure on a dog, you canít take it backÖ"

Mitch Patterson '07

MHR Wadin's Katie Lied CD, SH, WCX (11/25/93-1/27/07 Rest Well Kate)
    Brassfire's Brass in Pocket JH, WCX ** (4 Master passes)
    Brassfire's New England Patriot (New Pup!!!)