The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rough Tuff Kennel Questions

Default Rough Tuff Kennel Questions

I'm pretty sure I'm going to purchase an intermediate RTK but have a couple of questions....I've been told the ones you can buy in stores aren't the same quality as ones you purchase straight from the company. Is this true? Second, to protect a pup from the GA summer heat, what fans have RTK owners found to work best?

I have RTK, ( over 2 years now) Ordered it straight from the company...For a "composite" kennel its probably the best out there(I think) Very well built and rugged...sorry don't use fans or bandanas
    HOLD FAST
    Winter is coming
    Duck hunters like other duck hunters at a Holiday party, cocktail hour or a school play..........they hate each other @ 5am

I have 3 all from the company and looked at others in stores and I see no difference. Great company with a high regard for their product and customer satisfaction.
    John C aka jacduck

"Duck hunter's minds are like concrete. All mixed up and permanently set."

I don't think there's a difference UNLESS a store happens to have the old style in stock vs. the new plastic doors. The company offers free shipping, I think. So you can suit yourself. I have a Cool Breeze fan that I use with mine in the 4-Runner.
    Pam
    HR Roughwater Stacked & Packed, "Babe," MH, CD, RN, CGC, WDQ

I ordered mine straight from company, mostly due impart that I wanted one custom made with no vent holes drilled in bottom section, Once I got it in I added holes were I wanted them. I purchased a Mud river kennel cover, and with the side vent. rolled up on the cover you will find the holes in the kennel don't line up good ! So I marked were I wanted extra holes with the Mud River cover on, and got out the drill. If I had to do it over again, and the next one I order, I will get it custom made with no holes, and add my own! There is small indents that are molded in when the kennel is made were all the holes are drilled, so it's easy to add your own and keep every thing neat, and lined up! I will say they are great kennels for a guy with only 1 or 2 dogs, there light weight, and tough ! I added a thick rubber pad in mine, and drilled drain holes in the bottom for water to get out ! I learned that the hard way when I had a cheaper kennel and was at a hunt test when a storm came in. By the time it slacked off enough to get back to the truck from the barn we was standing in, my little girl was standing in 2 inches of water in her kennel ! I swear if she could have talked she would have cussed me like a sailor! HAHAHA
    "MAC"
    SHR Mac's Scars To Prove It (Josie)

Thanks all!! Pam, I thought about the free shipping right after posting. I also thought about the fact that a company that seems to pride themselves on customer satisfaction wouldn't want to sale sub-par products. So I'm guessing they're equal quality too.

One more question, should I go with the vent holes in the top and bottom since I'm in GA? I'm not too worried about the cold but will probably get a kennel cover. However, the heat does bother me a little. That's why I'm thinking the double vent and fan would help.

Quote Originally Posted by cocdawg View Post
    Thanks all!! Pam, I thought about the free shipping right after posting. I also thought about the fact that a company that seems to pride themselves on customer satisfaction wouldn't want to sale sub-par products. So I'm guessing they're equal quality too.

One more question, should I go with the vent holes in the top and bottom since I'm in GA? I'm not too worried about the cold but will probably get a kennel cover. However, the heat does bother me a little. That's why I'm thinking the double vent and fan would help.
    Get the double doors too. Totally ventilated then..
    Bill Davis

I forgot to mention the double doors, we have them on both of ours. When it's hot, they really help with ventilation. I can see how drain holes would be helpful when the kennel is used in a pickup, but since ours are in the back of the SUV, we definitely don't want them, LOL.
    Pam
    HR Roughwater Stacked & Packed, "Babe," MH, CD, RN, CGC, WDQ

*I ordered a Ruff last fall. It took me over 2 months to get it. They were VERY slow to answer emails or voice mails. 2 mo for my for the last email. Another thing that was strange, the kennel smelled so bad of cigarette smoke, I had to set it outside for a week. Aside from that, great American made product.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Nelson View Post
    *I ordered a Ruff last fall. It took me over 2 months to get it. They were VERY slow to answer emails or voice mails. 2 mo for my for the last email. Another thing that was strange, the kennel smelled so bad of cigarette smoke, I had to set it outside for a week. Aside from that, great American made product.
    I think your kennel got hijacked by a chain smoking delivery man.

I have ordered from RTKs on at least 4 separate occasions with very fast, free delivery and no problems at all. As a non smoker with an aversion to cigarette smoke, I haven't noticed anything like what you experienced and have described before on the product page... Sounds like you just had a very weird experience...
    Bill Davis