The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: GDG DSLR VS Point & Shoot GDG

It is certainly true that the P&s don't have the burst speeds that DSLRs have, so action is more difficult, but I haven't had an opportunity to really give it a try yet. I want pretty good light to attempt action, as I would with a DSLR also. And yes, everyone has chosen correctly. Middle two shots are DSLR. I should have had the DSLR set for the same F:# as the P&S. That might have made a more difficult comparison. The P&S is actually about 4 megapixels (or about 50%) bigger than my 30D, but, of course, the physical size of the sensor is much smaller, so pixels are crammed more tightly on the sensor, and that seems to be a factor, esp at higher ISO (really anything above 100). I'm not at my main computer at the moment, so can't give the tech data, but hope to publish that a bit later.

HPL
    Last edited by HPL; 03-03-2014 at 08:33 AM.
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com

The PS images are pretty soft, I don't think I would be satisfied if that was the best the camera could do.. Alot of people would be fine with the results but not me

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Caswell View Post
    The PS images are pretty soft, I don't think I would be satisfied if that was the best the camera could do.. Alot of people would be fine with the results but not me
    It wasn't really aimed at you or Tony, for instance. Also, as I mentioned, no tripod, no bracing against my face or anything else, so probably not as good a comparison as I should have done. Many would think the P&S photos were great if not exposed to the other two shots. Will try to do it again under better circumstances.

HPL
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com

given that post people view digitally these days I'm not sure that DSLR is worth a $10,000 investment, unless you're going to be producing high res.
    Darrin Greene

Not a fair fight. LOL !

The P&S photos are beyond soft..... they are unusable.

At this time I doubt a P&S is much of replacement for a DSLR .. if you're interested in great images you wont be satisfied with a P&S IMO. If you just want to capture a memory... P&S may be just fine

I am however... impressed with my Nokia Lumia 1020.. it takes amazing images for a smart phone ! Only downfall is the buffering (there isn't any ) otherwise better than a lot of P&S cameras..
    Last edited by waycool; 03-03-2014 at 11:05 AM.
    Steve Lithgow
    Las Cruces, NM
    "The thing that makes them good... is the thing that makes them bad" ~Pete Richardson Marble Mtn Walkers, Vermont
    "You can't make chicken salad out of chicken sh*t.... " ~Ron Schaitel
    "What's the difference between a pro and an amateur..... ""About a tenth of a second"" ~Bill Gibbons
    "Ugh... my dog broke....! ""There's never been one worth a flip that hasn't"" ~John Steger

Quote Originally Posted by DarrinGreene View Post
    given that post people view digitally these days I'm not sure that DSLR is worth a $10,000 investment, unless you're going to be producing high res.
    I still print a fair amount of stuff and images that are published obviously get printed, but you don't have to invest 10 grand (wish I could) to get magazine quality images, Iv'e had a fair amount of stuff published and almost all of it has been shot with a setup just like the one below. I was asked a few weeks ago by a friend to find him a nice camera/lens combo it took about a week, but I found him a very clean 30D that had just been sent into cannon and gone through for $152.00 with battery and a 2G card. And a 70-200F/4 non IS, again very clean for 340.00 so for $500.00 he's got one heck of a camera. The 70-200 is really to short for wildlife stuff, but I have made it work, you just have to work harder at getting close.

And I'm sure in the right hands some of the high end PS's can and do produce publishable images, I played around with a G14 and really liked it but still wouldn't trade it for my DSLR I didn't see any advantages to owning one, and it wouldn't fit in my blind bag any different, and I take my gear everywere ( yep Iv'e dunked one and ran one over) but thats what insurance is for.

What is the opinion on a teleconverter? I have a Kenko C-AF 1.4x teleplus pro 300. Honestly I haven't used it much. Is it best to shoot of a tripod?
    HRC- Our season never ends

"Shoot fast or shoot last"

HR UH Nilsson's on a wing n a prayer SH WCX

I have a cannon 1.4 II, and I do loose a little in quality and of course a stop, but I will use it with the right light. I have a friend who has the new 300MM 2.8 and both the 1.4x III and the 2x III in his opinion this combo is every bit as good as his old 600mm and gives him alot more flexibility and less money, he see no loss of quality, and this is his living. But the version III is far superior to one I have but ALOT more money as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Caswell View Post
    Where's the battery grip?

Quote Originally Posted by Handler Error View Post
    Where's the battery grip?

Funny I'm looking for one right now, he came and picked up the camera tonight and asked " why do your cameras look bigger" He has alot to learn..