The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: GDG DSLR VS Point & Shoot GDG

While I agree the PS is softer, there actually appears to be a little bit more noise with the high dollar camera. Does the P&S have a setting for noise editing that is actually softening the image? Did you sharpen the other two images?

What lead to this thread was last week's thread about what equipment to use photographing dogs at various events. My original point was that few people are going to be able to get the shot of their dog pouncing on the bird at a test or trial because the distances are just too far. Here are some photos I took yesterday in crummy light with my big lens, one at 100 paces and one at 40 paces. I also included a shot of my big lens and, for comparison, the SX50HS.

The dog photos are full frame, un-cropped so folks can see how far the dog looks at 100yds, even through a super telephoto.

Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com

Todd thanks for the ideas. I have a DSLR that got dropped and somehow broke my 300 mm lens. Never have thought much about looking for one used. Not sure why...

I have a Nikon P&S that I carry and use a lot more than the Cannon though.
    Darrin Greene

Quote Originally Posted by DarrinGreene View Post
    Todd thanks for the ideas. I have a DSLR that got dropped and somehow broke my 300 mm lens. Never have thought much about looking for one used. Not sure why...

I have a Nikon P&S that I carry and use a lot more than the Cannon though.

I haven't bought new in some time, I figure if I buy good quality used glass I will never loose any money if I don't like it or it isn't what I was looking for. I try to stay away from Ebay I have bought most of my new stuff from BH Photo, and all of my used stuff off of fredmiranda.com. that site gets alot of action usually doesn't take long to find what your looking for..

Ive been kicking this lens around for a bit http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...6_3_DG_OS.html Thoughts?
    HRC- Our season never ends

"Shoot fast or shoot last"

HR UH Nilsson's on a wing n a prayer SH WCX

B&H, Adorama, Roberts Imaging, and KEH.com are also good sources of used equipment. KEH has been in business for a LOOONG time and have a very good reputation. As to tele-extenders, I use my canon 1.4X quite a bit on the 600 when photographing passerine birds, but it does cost a full stop of light making my 600 F:4 an 840 F:5.6. That's OK as the autofocus still works at F:5.6, but a 2X would add two stops turning my lens into an F:8 1200 and the autofocus would no longer work. The effect on autofocus is something I never really thought about, but this weekend my friend that shot with me at the wetland was shooting a Canon 100-400 F:4-5.6. I offered to lend him my 1.4x and since at 400 on the zoom the lens is a 5.6, when he put the 1.4X on, it became an F:8 and lost autofocus. The 300 F:2.8 with either the 1.4X or the 2X WOULD be a nice setup and somewhat less than the new 600. Todd is absolutely right that if you buy good glass used, you will seldom lose money and certainly not very much should you decide to sell it later. The key is buying GOOD glass. The kit lenses probably won't hold their value like the pro lenses will.
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Nilsson View Post
    Ive been kicking this lens around for a bit http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...6_3_DG_OS.html Thoughts?

It has alot of mixed reviews, I know of one idividual that liked the lens but wasn't crazy about the sharpness and returned 3 of them befor he found a keeper, check out Tamrons new 150-600, there has been alot of buzz about this lens, they have created something no one else has, an affordable super tele and it's putting out some pretty sharp images, rummer has it that it is a solid 500mm lens but gets somewhat soft after that, and of course you would need good light as well. I ordered one, but there's a waiting list, there about 5 weeks out right now, I'm hoping to have mine befor the spring waterfowl show up, I think it's going to make a good lens for shooting retriever stuff, BIF that will be the real test..

The day that Tamron came out with there new lens , Sigma dropped the price of there 150-500 by 150.00

Thanks for the input in this thread Hugh and Todd and other professionals. I used to do a lot of commercial photography of horses and horse events; I worked part time for The Chronicle of the Horse, a national weekly horse sports magazine and photographed for them and several other publications, until about 2002. I had a Canon F1. I made pretty good money at some of the smaller horse events selling photos to the riders, often upwards of $1000/day, but gave it up when everything went digital. I live in bad area for internet, was tethered to dial up til a couple years ago and I'm not and never will be good with computers and photo editing software. I have a Canon 20D I got new in 2003 (I know, a dinosaur by today's standards!) which I still have, but I fell on ice photographing puppies & dropped it 2 yrs ago. Broke the good lens and the electronics have been tempermental since then. It's hard to justify the money to get a new camera for what is basically, an expensive hobby but I do find it's much easier and I'm more likely to have the PS handy. Mine's just a $150 Canon SureShot, but it does OK, even when published. But, the few photos I provide are mainly to local newspapers and magazines, nothing fancy.
    These are two dog photos I took with the cheap lil PS Saturday. I cropped them a little, because I've found that action shots do better if you don't use the telephoto. It was a club training day and a 5 month old pup I bred, so I could get a little closer and make sure the sun was behind me for these. They're obviously not pro quality but certainly good enough to show a little action.

Julie R., Hope Springs Farm
    Chesapeake Bay Retrievers since 1981

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Caswell View Post
    It has alot of mixed reviews, I know of one idividual that liked the lens but wasn't crazy about the sharpness and returned 3 of them befor he found a keeper, check out Tamrons new 150-600, there has been alot of buzz about this lens, they have created something no one else has, an affordable super tele and it's putting out some pretty sharp images, rummer has it that it is a solid 500mm lens but gets somewhat soft after that, and of course you would need good light as well. I ordered one, but there's a waiting list, there about 5 weeks out right now, I'm hoping to have mine befor the spring waterfowl show up, I think it's going to make a good lens for shooting retriever stuff, BIF that will be the real test..

The day that Tamron came out with there new lens , Sigma dropped the price of there 150-500 by 150.00
    Good to know, that Tamron looks like a sweet lens--thanks for the heads up
    HRC- Our season never ends

"Shoot fast or shoot last"

HR UH Nilsson's on a wing n a prayer SH WCX

After you guys take these nice pictures, what do you do with them? I have a computer full of wildlife, sport and dog pics. I like to use PS and make designs out of my images. Here's one I did last night.