The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Can you recommend good Golden Breeders in the Midwest?

Quote Originally Posted by JusticeDog View Post
    Top Brass Goldens - Jackie still ships some litters out of Illinois.
    1 second Topbrass and Mioak's for the midwest.

Or Melanie with Firemark in California and she can ship the pup.

John Gassner in St Louis and Andy Whitely in Memphis co own 2 100% Am trained FC-AFC Goldens. They also have some other real nice younger up and coming Goldens who are getting ribbons in FT's.
    They would be a great source and are some great guys top work with

Some awesome breeders being listed here, but please remember he's said they are looking for a house pet who will not do any performance events. He "hasn't ruled out" hunting.
    I fear some of the breeders mentioned may have dogs who are a little more dog than this person is looking for.

Barb Gibson
    with
    CH Rosewood Little Giant UDX VER RA SH MXP MJP OFP VCX WCX CCA CGC FFX-OG
    also UCH HR UUD UJJ URO1 UHIT
    (golden retriever) born 3-10-07
    a.k.a. "Tito", "The Tito Monster"
    www.GoTeamTito.com

Thanks for all of the good leads. I'm sure my client will follow-up on them.

Feel free to add others if you think of them. Also, feel free to add any advice you might give to a person looking to buy their first Golden, like questions to ask the breeder or things to look for.

Thanks again for your help!

Swack
    Jeff Swackhamer

Quote Originally Posted by hotel4dogs View Post
    Some awesome breeders being listed here, but please remember he's said they are looking for a house pet who will not do any performance events. He "hasn't ruled out" hunting.
    I fear some of the breeders mentioned may have dogs who are a little more dog than this person is looking for.
    He said he was looking for a field background

Quote Originally Posted by mjh345 View Post
    He said he was looking for a field background
    And I also said they might consider a moderate show-bred Golden.

Swack
    Jeff Swackhamer

Quote Originally Posted by Swack View Post
    And I also said they might consider a moderate show-bred Golden.

Swack
    Swack, it's up to you to educate them on the huge difference between Show and Field bred Goldens. BTW, for those that haven't tried field bred Goldens, just like Labs, they are able to turn it off and be great couch potato pets in the house, while showing high drive excellent FT, HT hunting dogs outside.

I personally know Topbrass, Firemark and Adirondac, know you would get a great pup from any of them. I have received wonderful pups from Jackie Mertens for over 20 years, never a dud. Finally, not to hijack, but I just bred my Gus, Topbrass Montana Lonesome Dove ***OS to Randy Hand's Amber last month. He post on here as Klamath Gold Hunter or something like that.

John

One more thing, regarding choosing a local breeder, I think once you decide picking the best puppy you can, geographic proximity becomes less an issue. The reality of any highly reputable breeder is they will evaluate each pup and decide, based on their many years of experience, which pup is best for each buyer. It's not like you show up at their house, look over the litter and choose one. The breeder will have already evaluated each owner for their needs. Each owner is very different, some are only interested in top flight, high drive field trial prospects, some are more hunt test oriented and some are just looking for a pet who may accompany Dad a couple times each season chasing pheasants, this is especially true with Golden buyers. So other than the slight hassle of shipping the pup, there is no advantage with buying local. To me the pup is so valuable that the actual cost of getting the right pup for me is way down on my list of things to worry about.

Quote Originally Posted by John Robinson View Post
    One more thing, regarding choosing a local breeder, I think once you decide picking the best puppy you can, geographic proximity becomes less an issue. The reality of any highly reputable breeder is they will evaluate each pup and decide, based on their many years of experience, which pup is best for each buyer. It's not like you show up at their house, look over the litter and choose one. The breeder will have already evaluated each owner for their needs. Each owner is very different, some are only interested in top flight, high drive field trial prospects, some are more hunt test oriented and some are just looking for a pet who may accompany Dad a couple times each season chasing pheasants, this is especially true with Golden buyers. So other than the slight hassle of shipping the pup, there is no advantage with buying local. To me the pup is so valuable that the actual cost of getting the right pup for me is way down on my list of things to worry about.
    John,

Right or wrong, I included the geographic limits because I thought the prospective puppy buyers would be well served to visit several breeders and see their dogs in person. They aren't well versed in performance bred retrievers and I thought the exposure to different breeders and their dogs would be educational and help them to determine which breeder would produce a dog that best meets their needs.

Swack
    Jeff Swackhamer

Senior Member Sundown49 aka Otey B's Avatar

Smokin Gold in the St louis area
    https://sites.google.com/site/smokin...ievers/puppies

Jeannie's female Bang is one of the nicest dogs I have judged. Great working dog and laid back when its time to relax..
    My Dad said to me ."Son, a man just needs three things to be happy....A good dog, a good gun and a good wife.....Thank God I have all three
    Sundown's Boss of Delta Marsh JH (Louie QAA X Delta MH)
    Traveling Through The Graded Timber JH (2012 NAFC Trav X Timber MH QAA)

Sundown's Ruff And Tuff (Boss JH X Lil Bit) best pup I have ever raised
    Home of HRCH Sundown's Loaded To The Maxx (FC AFC Jamie X Dixie QAA) RIP
    www.sundownlabs.com