The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Proposed legislation restricting breeders

Default Proposed legislation restricting breeders

Suffolk County, LI, NY is having a hearing on proposed legislation that will seriously affect breeders and the age that they place puppies. This seems to me to be an effort to severely interfere with breeders. I suspect that one or more of the antis are behind this pushing restrictive legislation under the guise of "doing what is best for the poor mistreated animals".

There may even be more to this than is stated in the link below. Worst case scenario: legislation passed, then used as a model for other communities, and what's next?-maybe mandatory spay neuter (already rumored).

Check out this link

http://www.riverheadlocal.com/local-...arch-4-hearing
    "I love the rod and gun and where they take me."

"Do not judge a man until you have walked two moons in his moccasins."

Unfortunate for responsible breeders. As to how much this law will affect them is anybodys guess. It appears as if the original law in place did not stop the puppy mill problem? I sure would not want to get a puppy that was 24 weeks old as the Animal Rights people want.
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA

HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI

Metras's Hashtag Mickey

I am headed to the hearing tomorrow. It bothers me---a hearing in the middle of the week, hearing held at 2:30 PM so people at work cannot attend, and apparently a notice on this that was not easily seen (we found out about this Sunday morning). Something smells if you ask me.

They always do it that way. Sometimes in the summer when people are away. Good luck
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA

HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI

Metras's Hashtag Mickey

You might find something here that will help.

http://www.akc.org/clubs/government_relations/
    Eric

WRC HR Lennoxlove's Run with Wolves JH, WCX ("Cheyenne") ... still so fondly remembered
    HRCh Struan's Devil's in De Tails SH, WCX ("Lucy") ... as is her daughter
    SR CH Struan's Flight of Fancy JH ("Muse")
    Struan's Master of the Hunt JH, WC ("Charlie")
    Struan's Just Plain Perfect ("Jane")
    Struan's Driving Us Crazy ("Daisy") ... the baby in charge

I thought this sounded familiar. I sent out a membership blast with an article last Thursday. Here it is

>>>>
    Normally I would send this to only the Region 1 list but thought this might give the whole membership some idea of what we are up against when the AR industry captures legislators. The legislators really shouldn't be blamed ... much. They are called upon to be experts on so many fields about which they know next to nothing. In this case, it just seems like they're dumb as a box of rocks. In addition, please note paragraphs 4 and 5.

Note the requirement to keep puppies until 14 weeks of age.

However, crazy as it is and all of you know it, it does no good for you to simply know it. You've got to call and write your legislators when they come up with ideas like these. In this case, New York members, specifically those on Long Island in Suffolk County.

Eric Johnson
    LL, NSDTRC(USA)

http://www.riverheadlocal.com/local-...arch-4-hearing

http://tinyurl.com/kao4954

Proposed Suffolk bill to regulate pet dealers set for March 4 hearing

Wednesday, February 26 2014 2:22 pm
    by Denise Civiletti

A bill that would regulate pet dealers in Suffolk County is set for a public hearing before the County Legislature Tuesday in Riverhead.

The measure, cosponsored by Deputy Presiding Officer Jay Schneiderman (I-Montauk) and Legis. William Spencer (D-Huntington) takes advantage of the opportunity opened up by a new state law sponsored by Sen. Ken LaValle that allows municipalities to regulate pet dealers.

“New York State’s 'pet dealer' law wasn’t strong enough to end the reign of unregulated puppy mills," LaValle said in a press release last month announcing the bill's signing by the governor. The new law will "enable local governments to restrict these cruel practices,” LaValle said.

Scneiderman said the proposed county law is not intended to stop the sale of puppy mill dogs or put pet stores out of business.

"It's about the ethical treatment of animals," Schneiderman said. "It's a frameword of some common sense rules designed to protect animals."

Some of the law's restrictions "might make it a little harder to sell a puppy mill dog," Schneiderman acknowledged. And its provisions require disclosure of where the animal was bred, as well as the posting of the breeder's latest USDA inspection report.

"People will know if it's a puppy mill dog," he said. "My aim is to provide consumer with enough information to make an informed decision before they purchase the animal."

In addition to the disclosure requirements, the bill would prohibit an animal being offered for sale — or trade or give-away — at younger than 14 weeks of age. The dog or cat must also have been already weaned from its mother and it must be in good health, under the current provisions of the bill.

- more -
    Eric

WRC HR Lennoxlove's Run with Wolves JH, WCX ("Cheyenne") ... still so fondly remembered

Eric Johnson

Thank you for the informative post.

There's an organization at www.PIJAC.org that represents the Pet Industry..........I wonder if they're even aware of this???

Here's the newspaper article after the meeting:

http://riverheadlocal.com/local-news...efore-14-weeks

Looks like we're making some impression. However, it would be nice to have a hundred folks there at the next meeting. I can assure that the ARists are going to try for that number. The next meeting is March 18 at 4 p.m. at the county center in Hauppauge according to the newspaper.
    Eric

FYI from AKC Governmental Relations.

Suffolk County (NY) Considering Problematic Breeder Regulations

March 10, 2014

The Suffolk County Legislature is expected to consider a resolution at a committee meeting on Wednesday, March 12, that would place numerous new requirements on those who meet the state definition of “pet dealer”. Those who reside or participate in dog events in Suffolk County are encouraged to contact the committee and ask them to not support Resolution 1047 as introduced. Scroll down for committee hearing and contact information.

Summary:

New York State law defines a “pet dealer” as one who sells or offers to sell 9 or more dogs/year. (Breeders who raise fewer than 25 dogs/year on their residential premises are exempt). Hobby breeders, particularly those who have large breeds, could reach this threshold by producing only two litters per year.

Suffolk County Resolution 1047-2014 would create many new concerning requirements for those who meet this definition, including, but not limited to:

Preventing a dog from being sold, traded or given away prior to 14 weeks of age. The AKC strongly opposes this provision because such a restriction would interfere with the proper socialization of puppies by their new owners. In other jurisdictions where such age restrictions are imposed, the minimum age for sale or transfer of puppies is most often 7 or 8 weeks of age. Further, this section would criminalize “offering for sale” a puppy prior to a specified age. Responsible breeders often screen and communicate with potential buyers well in advance of the actual date that the puppy is released to its new home. This provision could make such actions illegal.

Problematic Requirements for “Primary Enclosures” – The resolution has many concerning requirements for primary enclosures, and it is unclear how it would impact those who keep dogs in their home and not in a kennel. The requirements include:

Limit of four dogs per enclosure. Again, it is unclear how this would impact those whose “primary enclosure” is their home.
    Requirement that the enclosure provide enough room for “natural play”. The AKC agrees that dogs should be able to lie down and stretch comfortably in an enclosure; however, it is unclear how “natural play” is defined or why an outdoor yard or exercise area would not be accepted. It also states that if there is wire flooring, there must be a resting pad of sufficient size to meet this requirement.

Unannounced inspections – The proposal requires unannounced inspections of all “pet stores”, which is defined as the “business establishment owned/operated by a pet dealer”. Because of the concerning definition of pet dealer, there is the possibility that this could require unannounced inspections of private homes.

Mandating making sterilization services available for animals sold “at an age at which such procedures may be performed safely". This is problematic for several reasons, including: 1) a home based breeder who falls under the problematic definition of pet dealer would be unable to offer such services, and 2) there is a lack of scientific consensus among veterinarians as to the age at which such procedures can be performed with least risk to the animal.

Potential requirement for all pet dealers to have USDA license/inspections. Other concerns include requiring pet dealers to provide their USDA license number and a copy of their most recent USDA inspection report. It is unclear how this provision would apply if the pet dealer is not licensed by USDA.

How You Can Help:

Attend the Suffolk County Committee meeting on Wednesday and express your concerns on this measure:
    Government Operations, Personnel, Housing & Consumer Protection Committee hearing
    Wednesday, March 12
    10:00 am
    Rose Y. Caracappa Auditorium
    William H. Rogers Legislative Building
    Veterans Memorial Highway, Hauppauge, NY
    Click here for instructions on addressing the committee.

Contact the committee and ask them to oppose Resolution 1047 as introduced. The contact information is as follows:

Legislator Rob Calarco, Chair
    (631) 854-1400
    Robert.Calarco@suffolkcountyny.gov

Legislator William J. Lindsay III, Vice Chair
    (631) 854-9611
    William.Lindsay@suffolkcountyny.gov

Legislator Tom Climi
    (631) 854-0940
    Tom.Cilmi@suffolkcountyny.gov

Legislator Kara Hahn
    (631) 854-1650
    kara.hahn@suffolkcountyny.gov

Legislator Kevin J. McCaffrey
    (631) 854-1100
    Kevin.McCaffrey@suffolkcountyny.gov

Legislator Jay Schneiderman
    (631) 852-8400
    Jay.Schneiderman@suffolkcountyny.gov

The AKC Government Relations Department will provide more information on this measure as it becomes available. For questions or more information, contact AKC GR at (919) 816-3720 or doglaw@akc.org.
    Eric