The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: A Good Dog Is a Good DOG "GDG"

Default A Good Dog Is a Good DOG "GDG"

As some of you know I volunteered to work the 2013 Canadian National Retriever Championship. I was part of the "Red Hat" crew. Whole new meaning of "Will work for food" lol. Had a great time and thought I might share one of many stories I can tell about that week (10 days). This little story is about a dog and what a well trained dog is capable of...I'll try and not mention any names. some of the folks that were present also are RTF members. The actual story happens a few weeks after the National..........

The set up: After a few days (I got there Friday before the first bird) I'm talking to some folks about two breedings that are coming up and how I'm on the waiting list for a pup. Now I'm a Chocolate fan and these are arguably two of the best chocolate breedings ever....I can't decide which of these two do I take??? One is confirmed bred the other is still a wait list...So talking with the trainer that I work with, he says that someone (he knows very well) is getting out of the game and has a 5 year old open dog he would like to find a home for.... I say that I don't want a "Open" dog I want to train one...A day or two goes by and the discussion continues... Now there are a few more opinions from others. You'll have that typicality with the caliber of folks that attend a national...Can you say we know what we are talking about??? I stick to my guns...NO I DO NOT want a trained dog...

Long story short.. (As short as I can make it) The Sunday morning after the National I'm saying goodbye and heading towards my car when the wife of said trainer friend says to trainer: Mr. so and so can't afford the dog and can't take him....I had told him that if the deal fell through I would step up........

So I live in Pa. and the dog is in Ontario Canada. I tell 'em ship the dog to me I'll take it from there.....Well in typical dog games fashion the transport deal falls through...Go figure...

As luck would have it I just happen to have my Derby dog (Junior in ca.) entered in the Bancroft trial...So as long as your going.....

So since I was going I entered the dog in the open (No Am. offered)

I get to Bancroft late Friday evening. (Long drive from Erie Pa) I show up at the Open Saturday morning... Luck of the draw I have a very early number..I watch the test dog run and go get my dog ready....

I have NEVER SEEN this dog let alone trained him!!!!! I let him out of the truck and he could have cared less if I was even alive!! I had steak fat from the night before dinner in my hand he wouldn't even take it from me....I managed to get a rope on him and had my wife throw a couple of fun bumpers for him. After a few, he at least acknowledged me..

So we head to the holding blinds.....Forget about it!!! Dog to Line!! Now I haven't been on line in an AA stake in 17 years!!! I just met this dog 10 minutes ago!!! I am absolutely dying, my guts are churning, I can't breath and my mouth is parched......We call this fun...

Won't bore you with test details..Triple with indent all retired....I think?????

We get to line I show the dog the guns.....WRONG!!! He shows me the guns!!

I call for the birds.. ( He did allow me to do that ) However help as I may he chooses how he is going to pick them up......Can you say NEVER looked at indent....Went long twice and checked down for that indent like he did it a million times before.....

In an attempt to shorten a already very long story.....

In the fourth series there were only two Pros and two Ams. Darlene Broomhead placed and titled her dog. We jammed an Open having never worked together.

I'm not sure what what my point was but.... These dogs are capable of some awesome stuff with or without you.......
    May you pin all the marks and line the blinds!!

Avatar courtesy of RTF"s TZAPPIA

"GDG"! Neat! For both of you!

Nice job! Even better point made .... uh I think? Congrats and thanks for sharing !
    Steve Lithgow
    Las Cruces, NM
    "The thing that makes them good... is the thing that makes them bad" ~Pete Richardson Marble Mtn Walkers, Vermont
    "You can't make chicken salad out of chicken sh*t.... " ~Ron Schaitel
    "What's the difference between a pro and an amateur..... ""About a tenth of a second"" ~Bill Gibbons
    "Ugh... my dog broke....! ""There's never been one worth a flip that hasn't"" ~John Steger

Randy: that is a fantastic story with a great ending..but now what do you do with him ?
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

They feed the workers at the Canadian National Open? That is something we could learn from our neighbors to the north

Great story.& Great start
    Enjoy the journey

Good story Randy! I can imagine the gut feeling!
    Mike Tome
    Duckdog's Fast Autofocus
    GMHRCH-III WR North Star's Deuce of Diamonds

MHR WR Pondview's Bar None 1994-2006

Duckdogphotography.smugmug.com

What a rush, eh! Great story!

Thanks guys. I just thought I'd share that. Sometimes things just happen whether you plan on it or not.

Bon and Marc, When I decided to get back into trialing 2 years ago I set a couple of goals for myself.

1) Have FUN this time it's not a job...Enjoy the journey

2) It would be nice to be invited to another National.

We have achieved the first one and if we both stay healthy I think we can reach the second..

Thanks for listening.

Randy
    May you pin all the marks and line the blinds!!

Avatar courtesy of RTF"s TZAPPIA

was the new dog chocolate too? nice story!
    john mccallie