The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A great debate question - remote sit

Default A great debate question - remote sit

The question: the judges do a remote sit/ send on a land blind
    By remote i mean the dog is put facing you some reasonable yards away- the handler walks back to a point and starts the blind.

On the initial instruction to the dog be it silent, verbal or whatever the dog doesn't go. Say it doesn't go after several attempts and then goes thus making progress toward the blind.

Is it cast refusals or a no-go
    Thanks in advance
    Dk

FT?
    Confusion only applies when sending on Marks. On Blinds No-Go on initial cast and your done if I'm not mistaken. You might get away with a recast.
    I recall running set of marks and send dog too softly, dog went 10 yards and came back to mat, resent, all was good.
    "Darla" AFC Candlewoods Lil Smokin Tequila (2002-2013)(fondly remembered)
    "Smoke" Smokin Auggies Menace, QAA (2003- )(retired nut case, ask Rando)
    "Simba" Humewood Simba (1999-2014)(my 1st dog)

Per favore, non mi rompere i coglioni.
    Grazie

Most judges will allow a recast when the dog seems confused on a mark, but blinds are different.

It has happened to me as a handler in an Open. Dog refused the cast. No go. I tried everything... Over, back, silent over, silent back, loud over, loud back, jumped up and down and pitched a fit... The only command she took was "here".

For whatever reason, she didn't like the setup, or I said something or cued her funny... She had done remote cast blinds before with no problem. And did them after that with no problem.

As a judge I consider it a no go.
    Bill Davis

2008 Baldwinsville ,NY.FT Amateur 3rd Series , land/H2O remote cast blind. Allowed to sit your dog in position. Walk back to sending point about 30feet away. Cast dog to the right facing dog w/about 75 yds land entry to water W/obstructions and another 125 yds. No forward movement on initial cast your out. I lost mine that day in the water at the end. 350 mile ride home - Oh yeah. However I hunt ducks w/my dogs that way. I set them up at least that distance away so we both can mark better.

I think there is little choice but to call it a no go, which on blinds in HTs forces you to drop the dog. FTs allow for unusual extenuating circumstances, but it is probably going to get the dog dropped--certainly after several attempts.

It is one of those things that probably wouldn't surprise anyone if a dog or two wondered what was up and didn't go so is what you are getting out of starting the blind this way worth it?

Cast refusal and daylight burner to add an unnecessary 45 seconds to a minute for every dog running.

With limited resources, I don't want to tie my marshal and gunners tied up any longer than absolutely necessary.
    Last edited by Splash_em; 03-03-2014 at 05:31 PM.
    Richard Gravely

HRCH "Hammer" MH***
    Nick of Time Ride Da Lightning (future GRHRCH/MH)

hand in and a verbal back from your side is no different than hand up and a verbal back from remote...

If you make the mistake of not giving your dog a verbal along with the cast, you're likely going to end up off line even if he does go
    Darrin Greene

I would say No Go, thanks for playin

Not to Hyjack your thread but same set up and instead of No Going, the dog won't sit there, befor handler can get back to there mat for the send the dog gets up and leaves his mat moving toward the handler, how many chances do you allow?

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleHaul View Post
    I think there is little choice but to call it a no go, which on blinds in HTs forces you to drop the dog. FTs allow for unusual extenuating circumstances, but it is probably going to get the dog dropped--certainly after several attempts.

It is one of those things that probably wouldn't surprise anyone if a dog or two wondered what was up and didn't go so is what you are getting out of starting the blind this way worth it?

Penn

I believe your interpretation is incorrect.

From the Rule Book

I. SERIOUS FAULTS. (Serious faults listed cover all those instances where the Standard describes conduct of the dog which in and of itself justifies elimination from the stake. There are in the Standard three descriptions of handler misconduct justifying elimination from the stake i.e., blocking a dog’s view of a mark, throwing objects to encourage water entry and carrying exposed training equipment and other excessive restraint of the dog. While these are certainly to be enforced, they are not listed here under serious faults demonstrated by retrievers. The failure to list handler misconduct under serious faults in no way means that such misconduct is less serious or does not justify elimination from the stake.)

16. Failure to go when sent on a blind retrieve.

Competition does not build character - It reveals it.

Home of:
    FC/AFC Freeridin Wowie Zowie (2003 NARC Finalist)
    FC/AFC Sky Hy Husker Power
    FC/AFC Freeridin Smooth Operator
    FC/AFC Freeridin Vampire Slayer (2007 NARC Finalist)
    AFC Freeridin Maserati (Double Header Winner)

www.freeridinretrievers.com