The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: The Reading List

Default The Reading List

On what is normally considered the left -

The American Prospect, The Progressive, the New Yorker, Mother Jones, Sierra,

What I would consider moderate to right -

Heritage, The American Spectator, National Review, CATO, Reason, Freedom Foundation (local)

Financial & Trade -

Kiplinger & Kiplinger Letter, Dow Theory (short Term), Forbes, Fortune, Wired, Scientific American,
    Fast Company, Inc, Successful Farming - & all the Mutual Fund year end reports ( which are very good)
    in particular those from Acorn & Royce

General Interest -

Smithsonian, Sunset, Field & Stream, Sports Afield, Outdoor Life, the American Hunter, Bugle,
    Retriever News, High Country News

I mine these periodicals for books to read - Most have articles worthy of being read -
    Nothing reaches to the far right like the Progressive from RK land reaches the far left .

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

An extensive reading list, Marvin. I believe you have self-described yourself previously as moderate. Your list contains periodicals described as left, moderate to right, financial and trade, and general interest. Do you also mine any periodicals that you consider hard right? If so, please list them also. If not, why not?

JDogger
    One cannot reason someone out of something they were not reasoned into. - Jonathan Swift

I like The Atlantic for its straight forward journalism and willingness to being truly balanced in regards to taking sides. Some of their writers swing left and some right. However, they are on the topics that matter the most with insight.
    It's time we abandon our party affiliations and rather than being good Dems or good Repubs we all become good Americans. MJH345

Quote Originally Posted by JDogger View Post
    An extensive reading list, Marvin. I believe you have self-described yourself previously as moderate. Your list contains periodicals described as left, moderate to right, financial and trade, and general interest. Do you also mine any periodicals that you consider hard right? If so, please list them also. If not, why not?

JDogger
    Could a hard right magazine gain enough circulation to stay in business????? Even the slightly right have to vary their articles to
    be of interest. I have taken a lot of teasers over the years including the Limbaugh Letter, never renewed at the publisher's price.
    It's about the only way one has of finding the magazines worthy of reading, & I do like the printed word on paper.

In most cases those of us in the middle mostly do generally agree on the issues, where we disagree is how to fix them. I believe
    we are spending too much money we don't have to fix problems that would be better fixed by letting those involved sort them out
    on their own. We have created a dependency class & robbed those folks of their pride in doing something on their own. When the
    government (meaning us) is subsidizing an industry, such as farming or river shipping, both of whom tout their independence &
    talk of their american values, who benefits the most? That is money that would be better served remaining in the pockets of the
    taxpayers to spend as they see fit.

What I'm interested in seeing is what others read or listen to or observe to reach the point of view that they espouse on this forum.
    I would tell you that the city employees consider me miserly while the taxpayers think I'm OK .

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

What about the Washington Times (the only daily news paper that is not pure liberal propaganda) and the Drudge Report both available electronically.....both offer great perspectives!

The only thing I would contest is your assessment of "what is normally considered the left". For example, "Mother Jones" is NOT representive of the "normal" left (if there is such a thing). At least not in the circles I travel. I put it out there with the Onion, Michael Moore, et. al., and equate it with Rush on the extreme right.

It's an unfortunate human characteristic that we rush to put everyone in a "cubbyhole". It's part of our need to "figure things out" and doing that quickly is more important than doing it accurately. Most "libs" don't use Mother Jones as a pocket guide.

I agree that we all agree on more things than we disagree. There is a loooong continuum and a thousand points upon which an individual may fall, but in trying to win arguments, we tend to polarize everything. Too bad. And then when the topic changes, everyone moves to a new position on the continuum.

Too much trouble ... I think I'll just continue thinking of you as a right-wing, extremist wacko.

Now you have work to do getting ready for council tonight.

JS
    “Don’t wave your phony patriotism in MY face! If you really love America, open your wallet and hire an American kid to build what you buy. Think of all our problems that might solve.” Doug Fraser (paraphrased) 1980

Real Americans buy American.

Snowshoe's All American Guy SH, UDX, WCX ... CODY ... at the bridge
    CH. Snowshoe's Girl Crazy MH, UD, WCX, SDHF, OS ... PRESLEY
    ...​ at the bridge
    Millpond's Baby Boomer MH*** ... BABE
    Snowshoe's Crazy For Lovin You SH ... NELSON

Forbes is being sold right now to a Chinese conglomerate . You are a little light on CBC, BBC , foreign language online sites, publications which are especially important re: foreign affairs. Look at all the clowns now pretending to be Ukraine experts? Tomorrow , Cuba by weeks end, Nigeria (our primary source of light crude oil).

Sporting Classics!

Keeps me in my place!

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    Sporting Classics!

Keeps me in my place!
    Great magazine. I use to love reading it then forgot all about it.
    It's time we abandon our party affiliations and rather than being good Dems or good Repubs we all become good Americans. MJH345