The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Calling Ken Bora

Ummm....Fire up the griddle and mix up the batter.....!

Thanks...Ken...

Trying only to get a reference point of knowledge. Don't answer if the questions are too personal or time consuming ... especially now when you are in the midst of the season ... please.

1. How big a stand of trees do you pull sap from and do folks in the trade lease property like hunting leases? Do trees have a life expectancy and do you replace them every so often. How old do the trees need to be.

2. When you are actually "processing", how attentive do you need to be or can you work your other job and then check in on the work in progress?

3. How many gallons of raw syrup does it take to produce one of your 500 ml bottles? How long does your average "boil" take and from that. about how many bottles does it yield?

This stuff is fascinating to me from the standpoint that you all are so dedicated to the production for a reasonably short period and then just go on with your lives. To you it's dedication. To the rest of us ... well pancakes wouldn't be pancakes without your efforts yet we simply pour the syrup on and pick up the fork.

When I was a boy, I saw (on one of the first TV's in town) something of a show on this and my Dad said we could try to make syrup. So, in a town named Three Oaks Michigan, we tapped about 4 or 5 sugar maples and got enough syrup to boil down to about ... exact memory fails me ... about a gallon. It was great, especially thinking that we'd made it. It was gone in about 2 months and we never repeated the "experiment". Once was enough.
    Eric

WRC HR Lennoxlove's Run with Wolves JH, WCX ("Cheyenne") ... still so fondly remembered
    HRCh Struan's Devil's in De Tails SH, WCX ("Lucy")
    SR CH Struan's Flight of Fancy JH ("Muse")
    Struan's Master of the Hunt JH, WC ("Charlie")
    Struan's Just Plain Perfect ("Jane")
    Struan's Driving Us Crazy ("Daisy") ... the baby in charge

Ken Bora - I just read an extensive article this week where they have now perfected a system where maple tree saplings 10-15 feet high are cut and sap is removed from the center trunk. This does away with the need of tapping large trees, running tubes , random placed trees. The system plants the trees in close fixed positions w/minimal tubing runs to collection points. Claims NO alteration in type/consistency etc of sap. Welcome to the 21st century of intensive "sapping.!" I am a little south of you w/sapping traditions but not as market driven as Vermont.

I may have dreamed this but it seems like Ken said it takes 50 gallons of sap to make one gallon of syrup.

My step son recently asked if we had any of that "dog friend of yours" syrup left. I told him yes, one bottle left and he can't have any of it. He's just gonna have to wait until I reorder.
    M&K's HR UH Tucker of Texoma JH
    M&K's SHR Prime Black Angus
    M&K's Miss Jessie Girl JH
    Sir Jacob of Lakeview-Jake
    Freeway JYD

Mike Whitworth

Quote Originally Posted by M&K's Retrievers View Post
    I may have dreamed this but it seems like Ken said it takes 50 gallons of sap to make one gallon of syrup.

My step son recently asked if we had any of that "dog friend of yours" syrup left. I told him yes, one bottle left and he can't have any of it. He's just gonna have to wait until I reorder.
    Mike I was thinkung it was about 1/2 of what you said to make a gallon

Trying only to get a reference point of knowledge. Don't answer if the questions are too personal or time consuming ... especially now when you are in the midst of the season ... please.

1. How big a stand of trees do you pull sap from and do folks in the trade lease property like hunting leases? Do trees have a life expectancy and do you replace them every so often. How old do the trees need to be.

I / we (my Brother and I ) and tap 500 trees on our family 46 acers in Monkton, Vermont. Our trees are on average only 150 years old yes folks do lease bushes, others tap and sell sap and do not boil themself. Trees replace on own, we do not tap a tree that is smaller than a bucket that hangs on it, old trees die and fall to the ground after about 350 years, Sugar maples are short lived.

2. When you are actually "processing", how attentive do you need to be or can you work your other job and then check in on the work in progress?

When it runs, we boil. if it runs all day my Brother will start the fire as soon as we have tanks full. I am kinda a second shift worker being a cook so I take over and he sleeps. We often boil until dawn to get rin of the sap as soon as we are able.
    3. How many gallons of raw syrup does it take to produce one of your 500 ml bottles? How long does your average "boil" take and from that. about how many bottles does it yield?
    it takes me 50 gal for 1 gal of syrup. My rig is able to evaporate 50 gal every hour unless my brother is fireing, then we are able to evaperate up to 65 gal every hour. A little pyro in his jeans We need at least 200 gal os sap to fire up the rig "cause we need cold sap to shut it down. You can not lift an 8 foot by 3 foot pan off of the fire with ease. Average boil about 5 hours for us not including clean up.
    This stuff is fascinating to me from the standpoint that you all are so dedicated to the production for a reasonably short period
    we boil about 10 times, some years as many as 20, short years only 7ish. as soon as the trees bud the flavor of the sap changes and we are done. All the maple syrup in the world is made in a 5 week span every spring. But fome folks 5 weeks start the same week others end.
    and then just go on with your lives. To you it's dedication. To the rest of us ... well pancakes wouldn't be pancakes without your efforts yet we simply pour the syrup on and pick up the fork.

When I was a boy, I saw (on one of the first TV's in town) something of a show on this and my Dad said we could try to make syrup. So, in a town named Three Oaks Michigan, we tapped about 4 or 5 sugar maples and got enough syrup to boil down to about ... exact memory fails me ... about a gallon. It was great, especially thinking that we'd made it. It was gone in about 2 months and we never repeated the "experiment". Once was enough.[/QUOTE]
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

I wonder... are they tapping maple sap and boiling syrup in the Ukraine and Russia? Do they eat pancakes? JD
    One cannot reason someone out of something they were not reasoned into. - Jonathan Swift

yes "they" do make a potato pancake that is very nice and no they do not have sugar maple trees. when explorers in the 1600's came to quebec and made the first notes on parchment they had never seen anything like it.
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Bora View Post
    yes "they" do make a potato pancake that is very nice and no they do not have sugar maple trees. when explorers in the 1600's came to quebec and made the first notes on parchment they had never seen anything like it.
    Explains a lot I guess.
    Last edited by JDogger; 03-05-2014 at 11:41 PM.
    One cannot reason someone out of something they were not reasoned into. - Jonathan Swift