The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: In route corrections

Default In route corrections

Background: 5yo blf hrch with 2 master passes.

Situation:While running a 275yd retired single, dog beached early on point and again on shore. To correct this I tapped low nick at about half sec intervals once she beached early and stopped once she reached point, then did same correction for beaching early on shore. Brought her back and reran mark (without retiring) and she took a much better line.

Question: How would you handle this situation? Would you handle then rerun or use correction then rerun?? Would you rerun at all? Would you use continuous correction or would you do what I did. Would you revisit some cheating singles? Other info is much appreciated. Thanks

White dotted line: line by dog
    Black line: line I wanted!

Excuse my ignorance if this has been beaten to death, but the search button failed to adequately answer this for me.

image.jpg
    HRCH Bear Branch Simply Amazing Grace

To improve is to change, to be perfect is to change often- Winston Churchill

Great post!

According to your picture, that little island is not on line to the mark, so dog should have avoided it. Otherwise, according to the picture, your dog's line across the peninsula does not look bad to me.

If the picture is accurate, I am wondering why you expect the dog to hit the island and only take the tip of the point.

I am not very experienced, so I am interested in the discussion.

Me, with my dog, I would have handled dog away from island using attrition and let her take a little bit of land on the pennisula.

Hopefully you don't have a silver lab, or a show lab, as I'm tired of reading about them...
    Renee P

I am not sure I completely understand. When the dog beached, did you do a series of nicks on land without saying/doing anything? Were you trying to create a hot spot on the land? Or, am I totally misreading your post?

Regardless, re-running the mark with the gunner out would probably make the line better regardless of any corrections that you did or did not use.

Personally I think the dog did the right thing for what you set up based on a straight line from the line to the mark, If I wanted the dog to swim past the island and the point then I would run the blue line and correct if the dog beached. Im not sure if you can get a dog to bow like that and not touch land at some point without problems later if you need the dog to get dry . I would be curious to hear other opinions and the expectations too

attachment.jpg
    HRC- Our season never ends

"Shoot fast or shoot last"

HR UH Nilsson's on a wing n a prayer SH WCX

Not a real straight line to the mark. I would have handled. Would not have brought her back and rerun. Just rerun another similar mark in another area. JMO
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83047
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83051

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Nilsson View Post
    Personally I think the dog did the right thing for what you set up based on a straight line from the line to the mark, If I wanted the dog to swim past the island and the point then I would run the blue line and correct if the dog beached. Im not sure if you can get a dog to bow like that and not touch land at some point without problems later if you need the dog to get dry . I would be curious to hear other opinions and the expectations too

attachment.jpg
    I agree with you an Mitty both. My first thought was that if I wanted to run the concept I would have run blue but yellow should have been the line to the mark. IMO you handle to teach a line no matter what the concept. I would not have used collar pressure but would have handled and then yes, I would have re run the mark.

Renee no silver or show lab here! (I stopped reading after the first thread) My fat fingers apologize for not being able to draw the correct line. Line across peninsula is correct, but the idea was to skirt the side of the island. I wasn't going to get picky with putting her on or off the island. I just hate to see her make a obvious cut into shore to beach early.

Doublehaul- yes I did a series of low nicks without saying or doing anything. It is something Lyle Steinman told me he does periodically. And yes I ran the mark without retiring the gunner the second time so I could rerun the same mark this week to see if she learned anything ( or should I do a different mark with the same concepts ?)
    HRCH Bear Branch Simply Amazing Grace

To improve is to change, to be perfect is to change often- Winston Churchill

I think some of the misconception with correcting a dog on a line to a mark is make the correction based on the line the dog is taking not the perceived line that you have to the mark. If the dog takes and holds a line to a mark and then deviates from that line due to factors such as wind, water and suction, handle the dog and correct to keep the dog on the same line. Even though you see a straight line to the mark, the dog may not be carrying the same line.
    Cody's Gunslingin' Cosmonaut MH (Shooter)

Also, most people use indirect pressure with a sit whistle rather than direct pressure which is what you're doing by creating a hot spot on the land. Be very very very careful doing that as some dogs might not know what they're getting heat because of where they're at in proximity to the water.
    Cody's Gunslingin' Cosmonaut MH (Shooter)

Analyzing the mark in thirds....
    Your first third of the mark (running down shore line) set your dog up to fail the rest of the mark (hard to recover from that initial line)
    A) Teach or reteach angle entries, I like to see my dogs push into bigger water the first few strides or I know I'm screwed already

Your corrections on land remind me of the Dobbs method from years ago, how you correct your dog is your business but the dog must understand WHY it's being corrected.
    A) Most methods today are attrition...attrition...attrition...correct when educated with indirect pressure prior to reaching land
    B) When correcting make sure your timing is correct so they don't think land is hot, people wait to long to make their corrections to land then you can't get the dog on any land.
    C) Your method makes land hot, to the dog down the road that could start to mean all land forever, but if you've been using your system and it works....

Last third of the mark goes back to your first part of the mark, angling in the water, and then angling down the shoreline
    The mark you ran with your dog has lots of prior training to it, lots of pieces come together with that one so I would repeat (to clarify..after resting) the mark unless I can get back to that piece of water soon....Randy
    Last edited by Randy Bohn; 03-04-2014 at 07:32 PM.
    CHRIS ATKINSON...PLEASE don't QUIT CHANGING MY PROFILE PAGE!!

"And if you have a golden, bring TWO towels!"