The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: In route corrections

He better hope he has a dog with a lot of bottom.

john
    "i guess the old saying 'those of us that think we know everything annoy those of you that does' " --bobbyb 9/13/06

"A Good Dog is a Good Dog"

Hunter's dog has plenty of bottom. When daylight savings time gets here we will wear that pond out!
    Mark Land

Quote Originally Posted by fishduck View Post
    Hunter's dog has plenty of bottom. When daylight savings time gets here we will wear that pond out!
    We're talking about a mark not a blind, and a retired one at that,. As such the two violations of my standard are sliding down the shore on the initial line and geting off line to go to the island

john
    "i guess the old saying 'those of us that think we know everything annoy those of you that does' " --bobbyb 9/13/06

I just realized that the dog is running from the top of the picture, and that the mark is at the bottom of the picture. For some reason I thought it was the other way around when I responded before.

Strangely, my answer remains the same, but your complaint about the dog beaching early now makes sense LOL. It must be the color contrast on the computer I'm using now, vs. the one I was using before as the red did not show up.

I think Randy Bohn has it backwards as well, because I totally agreed with him, till I decided I had been reading the picture wrong...
    Renee P

Quote Originally Posted by mitty View Post
    I just realized that the dog is running from the top of the picture, and that the mark is at the bottom of the picture. For some reason I thought it was the other way around when I responded before.

Strangely, my answer remains the same, but your complaint about the dog beaching early now makes sense LOL. It must be the color contrast on the computer I'm using now, vs. the one I was using before as the red did not show up.

I think Randy Bohn has it backwards as well, because I totally agreed with him, till I decided I had been reading the picture wrong...
    Running from top to bottom beaching on the island would be my only concern on a retired mark.

john

Quote Originally Posted by john fallon View Post
    We're talking about a mark not a blind, and a retired one at that,. As such the two violations of my standard are sliding down the shore on the initial line and geting off line to go to the island

john
    This I agree with. To insinuate that his dog needs bottom based on one mark is a little overboard. I personally would have used attrition & indirect pressure.
    Mark Land

Quote Originally Posted by fishduck View Post
    This I agree with. To insinuate that his dog needs bottom based on one mark is a little overboard. I personally would have used attrition & indirect pressure.
    No no, I was not inferring that the dog lacked bottom I was concerned about beating the dog up for what was, going by the yellow line, a fairly good showing...

john

It appears as though you were not fair to the dog. You allowed the dog to continue on a poor initial line and then used direct pressure as soon as it hit land. The dog then ran down the point of land and re-entered the water. Since the dog self-corrected to the intended line from here, it is safe to say the dog was cheating. Then the dog deviates again and is allowed to beach early and then gets more direct pressure. Without knowing how big the hunt is in the AOF, it appears that this is another pure cheat as opposed to the dog not having the bird marked well.

Since you asked, I would have run this without retiring. Handle in the water and do not allow the dog to hit the point. Start with attrition, then indirect pressure, and leave enough room between the dog and the shore to make multiple casts if needed. But, I will not let the dog beach! Past the point, the dog gets handled at the moment it deviates from the line to the mark. In your photo, it is a distinct change of direction, thus handling is warranted. (If the change was not abrupt, I'd let the dog go as long as it beaches between the gunner and the mark.)

Repeating the concept in the future will indicate whether the corrections taught the intended lesson. I would run cheating singles without retiring the gun. Also, it's important for me to plan out what I'm going to do if the dog does this or that. For instance, one of my dogs I can recall and resend if I get a PIL; the other dog, I have to let her go and handle later or she'll get pouty on me.

My rule of thumb here is, I have to be fair to the dog; and, the dog has to be honest with me.
    "Appears to have been a glitch or two." Sheriff Ed Tom Bell

I should add that the dog in my avatar is one cheating little girl--I feel your pain.
    "Appears to have been a glitch or two." Sheriff Ed Tom Bell

As soon as the dog bounced off the island and headed for the shore to get out early, you should have handled. The dog apparently knew where it was headed but showed lack of perseverance, choosing the easy route instead of the direct swimming route.
    I would blame this on you, in a nice way of course.
    To me the IL is not that bad if your drawing is accurate and the line on the peninsula is pretty good. Dog got back in and was on a decent line, but lost focus, concentration, whatever and cut left to the shore. A simple cast to let the dog know it had to stay wet all the way would have been what I would have done. If ,however, I got a CR, then a correction is in order.
    Do it correctly, come back in a few days and run it again. Hopefully the dog will have a better conviction for water and run it straight.
    Time changes this week and I am in Olathe for a TriTronics meeting next week then to Tallahassee for a HT, but call me and we need to train together. I don't work a lot any more and I can come your way. I have the keys to Bear Branch and you can come over here also.
    MP
    The pain of regret is much worse than the pain of hard work.