The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ecollar Question (Non Training)

Quote Originally Posted by DarrinGreene View Post
    I advise pet dog clients that the dog's collar should be on any time he is out of his crate/kennel or not sleeping. Minimum 8 hours per day with the collar OFF to prevent chaffing but otherwise, collar on and transmitter in pocket.

I deliberately use a collar with a small transmitter and belt clip for to make this easy. You might consider a Dogtra IQ or 1900 for around the house if you're using a Tri-Tronics tube model. It's just a lot easier to carry either of those around. The Educator (Einstein) 300TS is a great model for this also (my personal preference).

At a year old your dog still needs re-enforcement in distracting situations. The more consistent you are the more success you'll have habituating the commands.

He's not trying to F*** you.. he's just not paying attention because the environment is more interesting.

Kinda like you getting slapped in the back of the head by the GF for looking the wrong direction
    Thanks a lot. That makes sense. I stopped making him wear it because he was doing so well. You give a dog an inch and they'll take a mile.

Quote Originally Posted by metalone67 View Post
    Sounds like he doesn't know what "here" is if he was CC he would know EXACTLY what it means.
    The dog was CC'd and he does know what here means AND you can't tell me you have never had a dog test you so calm down cowboy.

Quote Originally Posted by CodyC View Post
    Thanks a lot. That makes sense. I stopped making him wear it because he was doing so well. You give a dog an inch and they'll take a mile.
    It really isn't about "take a mile" but moreso his environment taking over his attention, in particular his nose. The nose will take over the ears and the eyes very quickly once it kicks in. When you send him outside his senses go into overload. Hearing being the one he responds to the least, you have a problem refocusing his attention on you with a verbal (or whistle) cue. That's all it is and it could take a very long time (depending how much training he gets) for it to change.

The biggest mistake my clients make is abruptly ending re-enforcement of their commands, in most cases way too soon.

Stick with the re-enforcement when you need it and you'll use it less and less as you go along, but don't get complacent about it... ever...
    Darrin Greene

Quote Originally Posted by metalone67 View Post
    Sounds like he doesn't know what "here" is if he was CC he would know EXACTLY what it means.
    They know exactly when they have there collar on and when they don't, guess you've never seen even the best pro's feeding and airing after hours on trial grounds, even the best dogs have selective hearing to some degree.. HERE HERE HERE HERE HERE And like Darrin said above it's because of there nose..
    Last edited by Todd Caswell; 03-05-2014 at 07:34 PM.