The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Passing of Frank Pomes aka broadbill

Default Passing of Frank Pomes aka broadbill

Today I lost a friend, Frank Pomes. We first met at a training session about four years ago, he with his Boykin Rebel and me with my Golden Buffy. We both had crazy high octane puppies. We became friends.We trained together, shot at hunt tests, shot together at a Delta Waterfowl shoot, worked the continental shoots together and hunted upland together. He was an excellent shot and Rebel is an absolutely awesome dog. Rebel never failed to look like a little furry rocket. Frank would get embarrassed when I would say that he had the best marking dog in our group but I couldn't help but say it.

Frank was truly a nice man. He worked hard at training dogs and he did what he could to bring our retriever clubs together. In a moment of privacy, I told him that I really appreciated our friendship. He actually apologized to me for being my friend for such a short time. I tried to see him as much as I could. He would visit me after his chemo treatments which were in the neighborhood. Now he is gone.

We will miss him here on Long Island.
    "I love the rod and gun and where they take me."

"Do not judge a man until you have walked two moons in his moccasins."

George,

I don't usually post on these types of threads but, I am sorry for your loss and time does help........Condolences.

Randy
    May you pin all the marks and line the blinds!!

Avatar courtesy of RTF"s TZAPPIA

Damn, so sorry to hear - used to tease Frank that he was the second 'Guylander after Ham Rowan to have himself a Boykin. Believe his acknowledgement of that was reflected in Rebel's very name. He doted on that dog and as I understand it y'all his training partners doted on Frank for his convivial nature. Really hate this, the life of another good guy taken - condolences to all who knew and enjoyed ol' Broadbill's company. And thank you, George, for a plenty poignant tribute to your friend and training partner.

MG

gdnyc,

So sorry to hear of the passing of Broadbill Frank. We that spend time training and gunning together form such very special bonds together, I am sure his passing is overwhelming. God rest ye Frank and grand fowling to ye on the other side Mate.

My heart and prayers goes out to all left in the wake of Frank's passing.

Sincere Regrets,
    Irishwhistler

Quote Originally Posted by gdgnyc View Post
    Today I lost a friend, Frank Pomes. We first met at a training session about four years ago, he with his Boykin Rebel and me with my Golden Buffy. We both had crazy high octane puppies. We became friends.We trained together, shot at hunt tests, shot together at a Delta Waterfowl shoot, worked the continental shoots together and hunted upland together. He was an excellent shot and Rebel is an absolutely awesome dog. Rebel never failed to look like a little furry rocket. Frank would get embarrassed when I would say that he had the best marking dog in our group but I couldn't help but say it.

Frank was truly a nice man. He worked hard at training dogs and he did what he could to bring our retriever clubs together. In a moment of privacy, I told him that I really appreciated our friendship. He actually apologized to me for being my friend for such a short time. I tried to see him as much as I could. He would visit me after his chemo treatments which were in the neighborhood. Now he is gone.

We will miss him here on Long Island.
    Yes, Frank was one of the best which are few and far between.
    He was a big help to me even with silly little things I could not figure out. Like would you believe how to charge the E. Collar!! Frank was always there to lend a helping hand with a smile. He will be missed by me and many that knew him.

Thanks George for the tribute. Only met Frank once when he and his son came to a Hunt Test in NC. We talked a lot since his Rebel was a son of my Chief. He titled in Seasoned that weekend, they we so proud. What a great guy. Wish I could have spent more time with him. R.I.P Frank you were one of the really good guys. Prayers go out to his family.

Dan
    GRHRCH UH Saint Thomas Chief MHR
    First & Only Boykin to Pass The Master Nationals
    HRC 2000 Points Club
    2010 & 2014 BSS National Open Champion

George, so very very sorry for your loss.
    I'm willing to bet Frank treasured your friendship.
    Don't bother to just be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself.
    William Faulkner

George,

I'm sorry to hear that you lost a close friend. I am glad to know that you were able to tell him what his friendship meant to you.-Paul
    there's no good reason to fatten up a retriever.

George, thank you for posting. Frank Pomes loved the outdoors and helping his fellow man, which was a blessing to the Long Island Retriever community. He was a kind and non judgemental man, and we could always count on him. A skilled woodworker, he would volunteer his talent whenever needed. He will truly be missed by his friends and family.
    Andy

I met Frank and Rebel when Lois and I judged an HRC hunt test on Long Island. He was really a nice man and he loved his Boykin. Frank will be missed by everyone who knew him.
    Carolina American Water Spaniels

HRCH UH Carolina's Duck Gumbo MHA SHR RN WDS CGC TDI (Gumbo) 1000 Point Club
    UH HR GCH Carolina's Wild March Hare SH JHR RAE OA OAJ WDX CGC TDI (Bunny)
    HR CH Carolina's Running with the Hare SH JHR RN WDX CGC (Blew)