The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: $100.00 entry

Yeah, and a play on his (her? - Hens are biologically "hers," you know) asinine comment:

Quote Originally Posted by delawarebluehen View Post
    How much is a flyer in Delaware like 50.00 or is the club trying to limit the number of entrys so that only members will win?
    MG

If DelBay had to go to $100 they'll all be at $100 and still just breaking even. Bring in a couple of out of town judges and check the cost. Easily $300-$400 driving or flying.
    John Lash

"If you run Field Trials, you learn to swallow your disappointment quickly."

"Field trials are not a game for good dogs. They're for great dogs with great training." E. Graham

Interesting theory though. If we could raise entry fees to where me and 11 other dogs were entered...
    But I still would have to win.
    John Lash

"If you run Field Trials, you learn to swallow your disappointment quickly."

"Field trials are not a game for good dogs. They're for great dogs with great training." E. Graham

Quote Originally Posted by delawarebluehen View Post
    By that accounting I can't believe I missed it. I can't believe more clubs are not folding. The hunt test game is growing every year and the trials have not. I wonder why more people don't run trials
    Cause it takes a special kind of crazy to run FTs!

Special kind of crazy regards,

FOM

The Open is $100, The Am is $80 - so if I'm an Am and enter both the Open and Am with my dog, that equals $90 per stake - still reasonable. What the larger entry fee does is help with the cost of putting on the trial and passes that on to those who are absent from the trial (i.e. pro handles dog only entered in the Open). Second thing I noticed is the trial runs Sat - Mon...makes pretty good sense what the club is doing - trying to encourage Amateurs to show up and be part of the process - good for them! At least that's my take on it.
    Last edited by FOM; 03-05-2014 at 12:52 PM.
    "You can't eat a pig whole, but you can eat a whole pig." - Joe S.

Proudly Owned By:
    MHR HR Flash Of Mischief SH CD CGC - Flash (10/15/98 - 10/8/12)
    Lightning Fast Quack Attacker*** - Bullet
    Gotta Heart Of A Warrior - Ranger (12/26/07 - 8/10/2010)
    SML's Gettin' Sexy With It*** - Tango
    FOM's Raising a Ruckus in the Rockies - Riot

It seems to me that people run in a hunt test as they are competing against a standard instead of other dogs where if they pass that standard they go home with a ribbon and a pass toward a title. I am not saying in any way that one is better than the other as I plan on trialing once I have a dog of caliber, until then I will continue gettin experience in handling at the hunt test. I believe that both events would cost the same to run, it just comes down to people's choice on what to run. Just my opinion.
    Brandon Cross

[QUOTE;1195962]By that accounting I can't believe I missed it. I can't believe more clubs are not folding. The hunt test game is growing every year and the trials have not. I wonder why more people don't run trials[/QUOTE]

Entry fees are a small part of the cost pie when it comes to campaigning a dog in field trials. With plenty of trials having 100+ plus dogs entered in the Open it doesn't seem that entry costs are a big deal to many who play the game.

I also don't think there are very many who would use entry fees as a basis to decide whether to compete in field trials or run hunt tests.

Tom
    Tom Wall

I am an amateur and run hunt tests. It is not so much the money it costs me to enter, although $100 is a lot to me, it is being able to get my dog in. With limited entries, it seems that the Master fills up very quickly with the pros dogs. I 'm not knocking the pros because we need them, but I wish it were easier to get my one dog in.

Pagedog run trials you will never be shut out at the window

Quote Originally Posted by John Lash View Post
    If DelBay had to go to $100 they'll all be at $100 and still just breaking even. Bring in a couple of out of town judges and check the cost. Easily $300-$400 driving or flying.

I booked my flight to Memphis in October 2013 for an April 2014 trial. $300. That does not include parking at airport, baggage fees, etc. Costs add up quickly
    Competition does not build character - It reveals it.

Home of:
    FC/AFC Freeridin Wowie Zowie (2003 NARC Finalist)
    FC/AFC Sky Hy Husker Power
    FC/AFC Freeridin Smooth Operator
    FC/AFC Freeridin Vampire Slayer (2007 NARC Finalist)
    AFC Freeridin Maserati (Double Header Winner)

www.freeridinretrievers.com

Tom wall you are correct in that some of the folks that run trials could care less about the entry fee and campaigning a dog is expensive. I guess the point that I am trying to understand is that if entry fees continue to rise at the rate they are they who will be left to compete , judge, Marshall , shot flyers, and so on.