The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 15 of 22 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: $100.00 entry

Quote Originally Posted by B Peterson View Post
    Secret?...no
    I just haven't heard somebody with standing state it.
    But I don't think an increase in $15-$20 entry fee's is what pushed most of us out. IMO if somebody is worried about $20 in this game they should find a different hobby.
    I hate that agrgument with a passion. It's used to justify every new fee and tax increase as insubstantial and that we're all a bunch of pikers to complain. Remember when the Entry Express fee was first instituted, and then raised? Same crappy argument. Every increase to my property taxes was presented as "only" a few cents per thousand, now it's being reflected as cents per hundred, soon it will be cents per dollar. Ever hear the expression "death by a thousand pin pricks" ?

I guess I'm just pissed off by the dawning realization that our quality of life is being eroded $20 at a time. You hardly notice it, until you notice it.
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by TroyFeeken View Post
    To add into the accounting side of things, don't forget the ever rising costs that AKC slaps us with for each dog entered and the cost for the club to even put on an event that goes right into their bank account.
    Let's put some numbers on the AKC fees you mentioned ...

1. the application fee (what the club pays when they apply to hold an event) is $35 if you are not an AC club member and $25 if you are an AKC club member

2. after the event is over, the club pays a recording fee of $3.50 per dog.

Helen

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Shih View Post

By and large field trials are put on by very small groups of people. A club puts on a FT because the next week, another one will put on another FT. We each go through the brain damage of putting on a FT because we know that down the road someone else is going to do so. And because we all know that unless each of us takes our turn in the barrel, there will be no FT to run. We work one weekend, so we can run the next.
    Well said, Ted.

Helen

Quote Originally Posted by delawarebluehen View Post
    My next post will be about collars or obedience
    bluehen - instead, how 'bout cackling at Senator Boxer and House Majority Leader Pelosi over the idea of seeking field trial political asylum?

MG

Quote Originally Posted by delawarebluehen View Post
    I have never said it was easy . Anything worth doing is never easy. And you are right also. Who am I to ever question anything that a chairman of a trial does, says or places into action. You are right. I am sorry.
    When you do it on a public forum, you betcha those who have been there, done that and have the t-shirts to prove it are going to defend that club/chairman.

If you have an issue with a specific action a club is taking, you can easily contact them privately via contact info contained within the premium. Then maybe you would have not stirred up the responses that you have.

Keep in mind, if ya dish it out, you better be able to take it...don't complain because the masses stood up for the club you targeted in your rant, really?

FOM
    "You can't eat a pig whole, but you can eat a whole pig." - Joe S.

Proudly Owned By:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    MHR HR Flash Of Mischief SH CD CGC - Flash (10/15/98 - 10/8/12)
    Lightning Fast Quack Attacker*** - Bullet
    Gotta Heart Of A Warrior - Ranger (12/26/07 - 8/10/2010)
    SML's Gettin' Sexy With It*** - Tango
    FOM's Raising a Ruckus in the Rockies - Riot

Quote Originally Posted by FOM View Post
    When you do it on a public forum, you betcha those who have been there, done that and have the t-shirts to prove it are going to defend that club/chairman.

If you have an issue with a specific action a club is taking, you can easily contact them privately via contact info contained within the premium. Then maybe you would have not stirred up the responses that you have.

Keep in mind, if ya dish it out, you better be able to take it...don't complain because the masses stood up for the club you targeted in your rant, really?

FOM
    I am fine with the 100.00 entry fee. I am convinced that it is need. You are right. I am fine with what I stirred up. After work today I will go home grad the dog and go out and prepare for the next trial as well as I can. I will enter my dog at the trials I can and will skip the ones I can't . But I will be at Del Bay ...

6,000 views in 24 hours that has to be some short of a record.

Next !!!!!!!!

Even in Canada, the entry fee is a topic of discussion. We just had our meeting to establish our fees for our Spring Field Trial and are faced with the same problems and decisions as our southern neighbors. The entry fee does not cover the expenses of the trial and unless you are involved with the workings of the club one has no idea. Club insurance, freezer, equipment replacement and maintenance are taken for granted by non-club members. Our fees are up to $75 to $80 and you can bet that we do not fly judges in, have the expense of flyers, etc that are common place in the States. Add these to our profit and loss statement and we would easily be at $100.
    One should be thankful that clubs are putting on trials as has been pointed out - in Ontario as is in the States, 10 to 12 members are usually doing the work.

Hmm My feeling is $100 for an open, the Pros and Hard-core people are gonna pay any price to run an open no matter what. They are not concerned about entry fee price. The Amateur might care if those prices reach too high, and a trial might lose some entries because of it, but the vast majority of Insane FT Amateur peeps, will run regardless as well. Now you keep the Minor stakes down reasonable, and the casually FT person still comes out to play in the minors (every once in awhile); You raise the minor fees, and the amateur not being fully insane-invested FT peeps yet, will balk at more money and a good possibility of seeing one bird-one series, well they'll go play the HT game where they have a better chance of some return on their investment.

Thus when we run tests we ensure we keep the lower stakes as reasonable as we can, hoping to turn the newbies into insane people who don't care about entry fees .
    We've even contemplated lowering fees in the Mid-stake (our lowest entry), to encourage people to try it; after at some point the Insane Run Regardless people, might expire in their lawn-chairs, we got to have the newbies hooked before that happens .
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 03-06-2014 at 04:23 PM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    SHR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)