The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: $100.00 entry

Here are some real life numbers from the Rocky Mountain Retriever Club Field Trial Fall 2012

Entry fees $8330
    • 40 Open (85)
    • 34 Amateur (75)
    • 17 Qualifying (70)
    • 17 Derby (70)

Entry Express (453)
    • Set up
    • Catalogs
    • Ribbons

Birds (1455)

Teal Lodge (1970)
    • Land
    • Rooms for judges
    • Judges’ meals
    • Worker lunches

Judges expenses (1668)
    • Four out of state judges

Judges gifts (180)

AKC Fees (330)
    Scratches (435)
    Bird boys (1250)
    Trophies (200)

Remainder 389

We typically bring our judges in. We like having people judge that have not judged in our region

Note that the following costs are not included
    - Liability Insurance
    - Poppers/Live Shells
    - NRC dues
    - NARC dues

We have increased our fees in $5 increments per year, and our margins remain the same - very thin

We are not too far away from $100 entry fees
    Competition does not build character - It reveals it.

Home of:
    FC/AFC Freeridin Wowie Zowie (2003 NARC Finalist)
    FC/AFC Sky Hy Husker Power
    FC/AFC Freeridin Smooth Operator
    FC/AFC Freeridin Vampire Slayer (2007 NARC Finalist)
    AFC Freeridin Maserati (Double Header Winner)

www.freeridinretrievers.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Shih View Post
    Here are some real life numbers from the Rocky Mountain Retriever Club Field Trial Fall 2012

Entry fees $8330
    • 40 Open (85)
    • 34 Amateur (75)
    • 17 Qualifying (70)
    • 17 Derby (70)

Entry Express (453)
    • Set up
    • Catalogs
    • Ribbons

Birds (1455)

Teal Lodge (1970)
    • Land
    • Rooms for judges
    • Judges’ meals
    • Worker lunches

Judges expenses (1668)
    • Four out of state judges

Judges gifts (180)

AKC Fees (330)
    Scratches (435)
    Bird boys (1250)
    Trophies (200)

Remainder 389

We typically bring our judges in. We like having people judge that have not judged in our region

Note that the following costs are not included
    - Liability Insurance
    - Poppers/Live Shells
    - NRC dues
    - NARC dues

We have increased our fees in $5 increments per year, and our margins remain the same - very thin

We are not too far away from $100 entry fees
    Ted,
    I am soul searching here...What does it take to have those who had a dream to at least have a chance to participate.....Maybe a barter system? Just thinking out loud so to speak to those who would love to entry?....

Benny

BJ

I don't have any great answers for you. I will be 59 this year. It would much more prudent for me to put the money I spend on dogs into my retirement funds.

Ted

Home of:

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Shih View Post
    BJ

I don't have any great answers for you. I will be 59 this year. It would much more prudent for me to put the money I spend on dogs into my retirement funds.

Ted
    I understand, but our dogs IMO bring us a reason to wake up in the morning with a cold nose and a happy tail to say....Goood Morning and what can I do for you today??? Just saying. I don't like to be alone and I need a significant other or dogs to have a reason in all of the mess that is going around to make sense in my life to keep going on.

BJ

Quote Originally Posted by Erin O'Brien View Post
    I run mostly trials, but have never dealt with the finances of a trial, but have with our local hrc hunt tests. We seem to really make some good money with a raffle. I haven't ever seen a raffle at a field trial, except an o/h q in conjunction with a hunt test. Is there a reason? People aren't interested? Too much work? Good raffles could be primer guns, wingers, radios, etc, stuff people can never seem to have enough of for $20 tickets.
    Yes, and lots of companies give clubs discounts on raffle items, as well as complete donations. Last year I was the raffle ticket seller for PRTA here in the WIllamette Valley. Tritronics donated a collar, Avery donated car mats and other sweet stuff.. I raised over $900.00 for them, and the money covered lunches and I hear whatever was left went to land grants.

In Alaska, our clubs hold raffles as well as yearly "banquets" for fund raising. Without these fund raisers, we would not be able to hold events...

To quote John Lash, it IS alot of work for the person getting the donations, and doing a banquet. But the raffle type Erin is suggesting is easy. A board/club member calls Tritronics, and whoever.. Then the Chair of the trial sucks in an Amateur like myself, who is a fast talker and general BS'r, to sell those tickets! I made signs for the holding blinds for all to read. I had all the lovely prizes displayed on my tailgate in a strategic location so everyone would have to pass by me. Anyhow....
    Princess Darla of Nottingham MH ***
    Copper's Darlin' Rascal "Spanky" ***
    Spanky's Darlin Rascal "Wheezy"

Yellow dogs rule the world!

Quote Originally Posted by DEDEYE View Post
    Yes, and lots of companies give clubs discounts on raffle items, as well as complete donations. Last year I was the raffle ticket seller for PRTA here in the WIllamette Valley. Tritronics donated a collar, Avery donated car mats and other sweet stuff.. I raised over $900.00 for them, and the money covered lunches and I hear whatever was left went to land grants.

In Alaska, our clubs hold raffles as well as yearly "banquets" for fund raising. Without these fund raisers, we would not be able to hold events...

To quote John Lash, it IS alot of work for the person getting the donations, and doing a banquet. But the raffle type Erin is suggesting is easy. A board/club member calls Tritronics, and whoever.. Then the Chair of the trial sucks in an Amateur like myself, who is a fast talker and general BS'r, to sell those tickets! I made signs for the holding blinds for all to read. I had all the lovely prizes displayed on my tailgate in a strategic location so everyone would have to pass by me. Anyhow....
    Those free hair cuts you gave were pretty popular. never seen so many hats sold....

/Paul
    Paul Cantrell
    Black Ice Retrievers
    Marcola OR

Too many dogs to list (By some Bitch)

https://www.facebook.com/BlackIceRetrievers
    http://gundog2002.blogspot.com/
    "Helping Hunters Train Their Dogs"

Quote Originally Posted by Golddogs View Post
    Would you still be in the black W/O a raffle?
    We would if we don't bring in all out-of -area judges. In Ted's example saving 2 judges and using from the club would have paid for shells and insurance. In NAHRA our wives and kids help out potluck meals, kids planting blinds etc. NAHRA pay the help??? We are the help-Now that's a novel idea! But I understand as the AKC club I belong to I'm one of the youngest and I'm a grandpa! I expect Ted that the second test of the year you can have less bird expenses
    Having a simple raffle can work, but it all depends on quitting time!

Well we did and I could do it again!!! I just work harder!! I begged a pleaded
    For better deals on every thing and cut unnoticeable corners with ammo
    Ribbons trophies judges gifts and food ect... Most clubs from what I've seen just pay
    The price tag price well that's why you ain't going to make it in the real world and have to
    Raise entry fees

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Bartlett View Post
    Well we did and I could do it again!!! I just work harder!! I begged a pleaded
    For better deals on every thing and cut unnoticeable corners with ammo
    Ribbons trophies judges gifts and food ect... Most clubs from what I've seen just pay
    The price tag price well that's why you ain't going to make it in the real world and have to
    Raise entry fees
    ​Show us the numbers

Home of:

I"m just a little confused here.
    I just read a curently running thread about a club that is building a new clubhouse complex which will require a large capitol outlay, while@ $85, $75, $70 ,$70.... their entry fees remain among the lowest in the sport .
    "i guess the old saying 'those of us that think we know everything annoy those of you that does' " --bobbyb 9/13/06

"A Good Dog is a Good Dog"