The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Co-ownership for AKC. How to ?????'s

Default Co-ownership for AKC. How to ?????'s

I am tryin to co-own a young dog and I'm not sure how to go about it. I'm sure someone on here has experience and can point me in the right direction.

You just fill out the registration papers and return to the AKC with the required $$.

Tom
    Tom Wall

Quote Originally Posted by twall View Post
    You just fill out the registration papers and return to the AKC with the required $$.

Tom
    Sorry, I should've been more specific. The dog is already registered with the AKC under an owner. I want to put myself as a co-owner. Do I get a new set of registration papers and re-submit?

Quote Originally Posted by Kajun Kamakazi View Post
    Sorry, I should've been more specific. The dog is already registered with the AKC under an owner. I want to put myself as a co-owner. Do I get a new set of registration papers and re-submit?
    Look on the back of the A.K.C. reg. form, fill out, send $$
    Or phone them

Yes. The current owner signs off just as if s/he were selling the dog on the back of the papers, and the new owner as well as the current owner fill out the new owner info., sign and mail to AKC with the money. Has to be done by mail, or at least it used to, the last time I did one you couldn't process co-owner transfers online. And, from memory they only issue one registration paper which goes to the first co-owner listed. FYI: If you co-own a male, either owner can breed it and register the offspring without the other's signature. For a co-owned female, both must sign to register her pups. Also, if the co-own is done for purposes running the dog in O/H AKC events, it has to be received by AKC prior to the close date of the event.
    Julie R., Hope Springs Farm
    Chesapeake Bay Retrievers since 1981

Quote Originally Posted by Julie R. View Post
    Yes. The current owner signs off just as if s/he were selling the dog on the back of the papers, and the new owner as well as the current owner fill out the new owner info., sign and mail to AKC with the money. Has to be done by mail, or at least it used to, the last time I did one you couldn't process co-owner transfers online. And, from memory they only issue one registration paper which goes to the first co-owner listed. FYI: If you co-own a male, either owner can breed it and register the offspring without the other's signature. For a co-owned female, both must sign to register her pups. Also, if the co-own is done for purposes running the dog in O/H AKC events, it has to be received by AKC prior to the close date of the event.
    That answers my question thank you.

Never a good idea, IMO.
    What you get out of it is what you put into it, then a fat lady sings.
    Marc Broussard

Quote Originally Posted by msdaisey View Post
    Never a good idea, IMO.
    Ok Sondra, please elaborate on your open ended statement. I have a young (19 mos) derby dog with a FT pro and will either sell or look for a co-owner if he works out. It's not an ideal situation but with two teenagers I could never justify $1,000 per month to train and campaign a dog. I can't enter am's right now but have always been giddy about possibly having an actual AA dog and if it takes a co-owner I will deal with the problems when and if they arise. Open to any and all devils advocates out there.
    "Character is doing the right thing when nobody is watching"....J.C. Watts